Tips for fattenning up single coils

Since you are playing an HSS guitar, I'm not too sure about the point of making the SC sound like a humbucker? Just use the bridge pup?

Yes it is a HSS guitar. The humbucker is in the bridge position and not the neck position. Big difference, any pickup in the neck position is going to sound different to the bridge position. Even if i had a humbucker in the neck position I'd still be changing pickups between clean and dirty.

I like the character of the single coil but it can sound a little thin in comparison to the other guitarist. I am simply trying to fill it out a bit but still keep the character of the single coil pickup. I figured it may be some as simple as an amp block eq that could fill it out. But maybe the parametric before the amp might do the trick. I'm about to give it a try.

Do you have a guitar with a P90 in the neck?

I've had some pretty good results using the tone match block as a pre eq.

You setup a preset with nothing but the tone match block and match a DI track of one guitar to another.

Basically cloning the pickup eq.

Then the tone match block goes before the amp block. I place mine after compression too. Comp -> TM -> pre efx -> Amp -> .....

Use the ToneMatch block and tone match your single coil with a humbucker equipped guitar you find sounds fatter... Use the blend and smoothing functions to find the sweet spot...

Or use chicken fat.

I will start this post by saying that I have not really bothered to experiment with this....basically I could be wrong or it may not do anything at all. :)

If my understanding of how pickups work is even remotely correct there is going to be a resonance peak. That is where the signal is the strongest. You can EQ around it, but you aren't going to shift the resonance of the pickup that way. Now what I would look at is the capacitor settings on the input of the AxeFXII. Changing the capacitance of the input changes the reactance of the circuit (basically the pickup and cable) and it should shift the resonant frequency. More capacitance should shift it to a lower frequency; less should make it a higher resonant frequency.

I'm not saying that it actually does what you want or that even works because I just don't get that deep into the weeds on the thing these days, but it makes sense in my mind.

Tyler posted a thread a few years ago about boosting the mids before the amp and I have used this approach with much success.

FWIW, Tyler's recommendation was to put the mid boost after the Amp / Cab blocks, which works very well for me. Try both before and after and see which you prefer! :)

Terry.

FWIW, Tyler's recommendation was to put the mid boost after the Amp / Cab blocks, which works very well for me. Try both before and after and see which you prefer! :)

Terry.
There was a lot of discussion as to where to put the boost, but you are correct!

Back
Top Bottom