Tips for dealing with the audio drop out

This is exactly what I want! To use 1 preset per song and have the scenes give me different tones within the song. How exactly do you do that? Do you have a video? I will attach what I have going on. Here is a screen shot of scene 1 (USA clean) and scene 2 (USA lead brt). I get a huge drop out switch between these scenes. I also attached my foot switch assignments as well. Thanks!

You are toggling X/Y on 4 blocks (amp, reverb, chorus, and delay) when you go between S1 and S2, but you’re also bypassing the chorus and delay (and leaving reverb bypassed)? Try to make as few X/Y toggles as you can and it should help improve the perceived “speed” of the scene change.

As long as you x/y toggle the amp block, there will be a dropout. Try to avoid that. Use drive blocks or scene controllers to switch between clean and drive sounds.

New to the AX8 and also experiencing this issue. I really wish there was a simple fix (simulated switch to fill that weird void).

Hmmm I will try some of the recommendations here. Great info!
I also like using a clean, rhythm and lead (3 presets). I might be able to find a workaround but it really does seem like an odd thing to have to battle, given the incredible power of the unit.

Gentlemen, I'd like to draw your attention to this new method of masking the gap, or audio drop out, that forum user Bakerman introduced here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/page-2#post-1630877

This is based on momentary vol block engaging upon scene controlled LFO modifier - helps a bit to even the fade-in / fade out thingy, which can be considered unnecessarily long, to many ears. Try the original preset from the above mentioned thread and the version that works for me - for clean to distorded sound change - and let me know, whether it does the trick for your settings / amps or not. This method looks even better than compressor-based gap masking!

Attachments

• vol switch LFO lowdamp.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
Gentlemen, I'd like to draw your attention to this new method of masking the gap, or audio drop out, that forum user Bakerman introduced here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/page-2#post-1630877

This is based on momentary vol block engaging upon scene controlled LFO modifier - helps a bit to even the fade-in / fade out thingy, which can be considered unnecessarily long, to many ears. Try the original preset from the above mentioned thread and the version that works for me - for clean to distorded sound change - and let me know, whether it does the trick for your settings / amps or not. This method looks even better than compressor-based gap masking!

I prefer the solution based on a volume block because we have two them. And by the way I need a compressor for my clean tone.

I really try hard to understand your implementation. I get it like this when switching scenes:
  1. After 9 ms modifier Volume/Pan 1 () gets active and switches the volume block ON
  2. After 257 ms modifier Controllers (Scene 3) gets active and switches the volume block OFF
In parallel theres is LFO 2 running twice a second producing Min and Max values. And here I don't get it.
This modifier comes first after 26 ms.
upload_2018-4-19_9-29-20.png

.. and this modifier comes second after 61 ms
upload_2018-4-19_9-29-37.png

Can you please explain your implmentation.

Can you please explain your implmentation.

All questions should be directed to @Bakerman - I'm not sure if he would be willing to elaborate more than he did in his thread. My version was trial and error made, and works for me. It could be, there are redundant or contradictionary elements in it, I have no idea what I was doing. Bakerman's version completely didn't work for me, out of the box - but it also has not been made with AX8 in mind.

Any further tweaks, explanations and input is more than welcome!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions in this very helpful thread, but I have to ask: Is there any hope of this drop out thing between scenes ever being fixed? Perhaps in a future firmware update?

I'm a brand new AX8 user, and a former FX8 user. I thought the whole point of scenes was to provide a means to alter a preset without any (or at least minimal) audio drop out.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions in this very helpful thread, but I have to ask: Is there any hope of this drop out thing between scenes ever being fixed? Perhaps in a future firmware update?

I'm a brand new AX8 user, and a former FX8 user. I thought the whole point of scenes was to provide a means to alter a preset without any (or at least minimal) audio drop out.
The dropouts are an X/Y thing, not a Scenes thing. There are lots of ways to change your tone without using X/Y...and with zero dropout.

The dropouts are an X/Y thing, not a Scenes thing. There are lots of ways to change your tone without using X/Y...and with zero dropout.

I see. So more blocks, less X/Y. This begs even more questions, but it makes sense. Having to chose between audio gaps, or giving up on x/y functionality within a preset is a bit unexpected. I see why so many AX8 users prefer presets over scenes now. I'm going to have a deeper look at scene controllers too. Thanks !!

Last edited:
I see. So more blocks, less X/Y. This begs even more questions, but it makes sense. Having to chose between audio gaps, or giving up on x/y functionality within a preset is a bit unexpected. I see why so many AX8 users prefer presets over scenes now. I'm going to have a deeper look at scene controllers too. Thanks !!
Scene Controllers are your friends. They let you take an amp from crystal-clean to nasty-dirty, and even change EQ and deejay time all at once. Even morph smoothly between the two extremes of you want to.

Don't expect any firmware updates for the AX8 to close the gap. It's an architectural decision to add the gap in favour of a clean transition from one amp model to another. It has been asked many times and besides a few performance improvements no firmware update so far ever addressed it. It's more likely going to be fixed via AX3 like channels in a MK2. Just my two cents, of course.

It's an architectural decision to add the gap in favour of a clean transition from one amp model to another.
My understanding is the gap was necessary to eliminate the potential 'pop' when switching amps or combinations of amps and other effects. Your comment makes it sound like Fractal could have achieved clean, gapless switching but chose not to.

Back
Top Bottom