Tips for Chorus Sounds

diskoduck

You crazy sound addicts out there
Has anyone any idea of what the chorus pedals on these recordings could be?
Or even wich Ax8 chorus models to use.

Slave to the rhythm Grace Jones
Big Time Peter Gabriel
Hot Water Level 42

Thank you for any assistance!

Chorus from that era tends to be your basic DIGITAL STEREO chorus, or maybe one of the DIMENSION types. In a total vacuum without studying the tracks -- I'd start with DIGITAL STEREO, set the RATE to about 2 Hz, and increase depth from 0 until you are happy. You may want to change Depth Range from Low to High. I think I remember Big Time being pretty wobbly.
The other key to those 80s clean sounds is compression. Use both a compressor block (at the beginning of your preset... PEDAL 1 type?) and a little OUTPUT COMPRESSION in your amp block. This should produce recognizable results.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at least some of these clean sounds had been recorded direct.

Admin M@, thx for your advice. Wich leads me to another question. While I can imagine what the DIGITAL STEREO is modeled after (tc 2290?) what is the the rolemodel for Dimension?

Of the three listed, Big Time is the most sophisticated. Being from 1986, it's later than the other two. My guess is that it combines multiple effects like chorus and a mild trem that's gated. The other two might just be a CE-1 or TC Electronics chorus pedal. It doesn't sound like tri-chorus. All of them are not hard to reproduce on the Axe-FX.

Yes, my investigation so far: David Rhodes playes Big Time and allway uses a CE2...often combined with some tremolo effect. Trevor Horn uses CE3b. Not clear so far if he played Slave to the Rhythm....

Back
Top Bottom