Tips for avoiding clipping while using heavy reverb / delay?

Alabama man

Inspired
I'm having issues with clipping, notes in the lower register mainly, when using reverb + delay + multi tap + etc...

It's not as bad when I'm running clean, but when I turn on OD / distortion, it becomes more of an issue. I've reduced the output of my patches (clean patches around -16.5 db, dirt -18.5 db), using low cut (on reverb and delay). I've gotten some better results using ducking parameters, but I lose a lot of ambience.

Any suggestions to combat this clipping issue? It's not happening all the time, but if I'm doing some sort of dotted 8th line on my low strings it occasionally becomes problematic.

Thanks

*Edit*
Here are the two presets in question. "Post Clean" is the patch I'm having the most clipping trouble with. The volume block in "Post Clean" is assigned to ext. 1 on my MFC, controlled by an EV-1.

Attachments

• HBE Hi.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Post Clean.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Delay/Reverb/etc. comes before the Amp or behind in your preset?

Use the VU meter in the Utilites menu to ensure you have plenty of headroom in your presets. Also if you are running your reverbs and delays in parallel, you may need to lower your dry level even more. Running blocks in parallel doubles the signal level. Run both paths at -6dB to maintain unity gain. If the overall signal level drop bothers you, then turn the front panel output knob up to compensate. It's after the D/A converters and will not cause clipping in the Axe.

Delay/Reverb/etc. comes before the Amp or behind in your preset?

It's combination. For my dirt / rhythm / lead patch I have the delays and reverbs after the amp and cab. For clean I have one delay before my drive section going into the clean amp and cab with another delay and reverb after the amp and cab. I have it that way so I can get washy delays when I have one of the drive pedals on.

It's combination. For my dirt / rhythm / lead patch I have the delays and reverbs after the amp and cab. For clean I have one delay before my drive section going into the clean amp and cab with another delay and reverb after the amp and cab. I have it that way so I can get washy delays when I have one of the drive pedals on.
So all delays and verbs in series?

Ive always thought that limiting the verbs was the function of the ducker parameter? using the ducker with a decent low cut has always solved whatever clipping issues I have with huge verb layers

i always lo cut my verbs at at least 200. solves it for me.

I'll have to revisit these controls again then. I usually get to around 100 and it seems like a lot of body is lost (I guess that's the point in the sense that the low end clipping everything is no longer present). My hope is that I can find another work around to keep the depth of the effect without clipping.

I'll have to revisit these controls again then. I usually get to around 100 and it seems like a lot of body is lost (I guess that's the point in the sense that the low end clipping everything is no longer present). My hope is that I can find another work around to keep the depth of the effect without clipping.
if you run it in parallel that's a non-issue

Adding an effect in parallel can still cause clipping. I wouldn't worry about the routing too much right now.

Are these presets at the desired level relative to other presets, with the effects in question both off and on?

First check the boost/pad setting for the output you're using. If it's not 0 dB already, set it to 0 dB.

If you still have clipping with boost/pad at 0 dB, an easy way to get more headroom (if you don't want to adjust things like effect low cut) is to lower the global EQ's gain slider. Then turn up the output knob if you need more output level.

Adding an effect in parallel can still cause clipping. I wouldn't worry about the routing too much right now.

Are these presets at the desired level relative to other presets, with the effects in question both off and on?

First check the boost/pad setting for the output you're using. If it's not 0 dB already, set it to 0 dB.

If you still have clipping with boost/pad at 0 dB, an easy way to get more headroom (if you don't want to adjust things like effect low cut) is to lower the global EQ's gain slider. Then turn up the output knob if you need more output level.

Yeah, I think so. I'm not plugged in atm, but I'll check the settings you mentioned later on. Thanks

I've found too much volume variation running a low signal level of effects in parallel with a strong clean signal, so I went back to running them in line to keep uniform signal level whether the effects are bypassed or not. Looks cleaner in the grid too.

I don't know if this solution would also mitigate clipping issues as compared to having effects in parallel?

My clipping is always from the low end with high gain chugging. The reverb and delay start piling on volume. It is similar when dubbing like in a looper.

I'd either cut the low end out of your reverb (it's just going to create mud anyways in a mix), and if you're still having trouble try using a limiter on the low end to control it.

If you like the sound you are getting just turn your output volume down.

Im seeing a lot of suggestions that help your reverb not overwhelm your tone but if you are happy other than the clipping just turn your volume down.

Back
Top Bottom