Tips for achieving this sort of Shawn Lane tone

Synchronicity

Inspired
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how best to get close to this sort of thick and warm tone, I've gotten reasonably close in the past, but it ended up sounding a bit too chorusy and "80s" style.

I know Shawn Lane used 4 amps all separated by a few ms for that really thick "double tracked" type sound, but not sure if there is any chorus going on too?

I will probably use 2 amp blocks and 2 cab blocks, put some multi-delays to postpone the signal to the 2nd amp/cab block, then more delay and reverb for good measure, bit of compression at the start too...

Basically just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the following.

Do you think there is chorus here? Or just the delayed amp signals...

What sort of amp models would be good starting points? Was thinking maybe 1 Marshall and 1 Friedman to get a nice mix of thickness but still with high clarity/presence...

Many thanks!

EDIT:

Another classic clip that definitely sounds to me like there is some chorus going on?

I don't think you want a MultiDelay... A standard delay mixed 100% with a short delay is probably what you want.

You might want to do a search for Danny Danzi's video on this forum about "Haas Delay".

There is definitely some sort of modulation on that 2nd clip. Probably chorus...

EDIT: here's Danny's post:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/video-haas-delay-and-how-to-use-it.113156/

Thanks Unix, yeah I've seen Danny's video/post regarding that, very cool technique, although I tend to prefer using the "Enhance" block for the same effect due to the retaining of a balanced Left and Right volumes.

Thanks for the tip on the delay also! I will definitely try that route instead, that would definitely be closer to the real world way that Shawn would have rigged up his quad amp setup.

Cheers!

Thanks Unix, yeah I've seen Danny's video/post regarding that, very cool technique, although I tend to prefer using the "Enhance" block for the same effect due to the retaining of a balanced Left and Right volumes.

Thanks for the tip on the delay also! I will definitely try that route instead, that would definitely be closer to the real world way that Shawn would have rigged up his quad amp setup.

Cheers!
But that's essentially the same thing ;)

The Haas effect is what you will get with the delay I suggested, except using 2 amps instead of one... And the enhancer is just a fancier version of that.

I can't believe I've spent thus far in my life unaware of of this fella Lane....he was obviously a genius/savant and the influence he has (admittedly) had on folks like Guthrie is instantly apparent. I just sucked up powers of ten--Live like a sponge.......Thanks for the tip.

I can't believe I've spent thus far in my life unaware of of this fella Lane....he was obviously a genius/savant and the influence he has (admittedly) had on folks like Guthrie is instantly apparent. I just sucked up powers of ten--Live like a sponge.......Thanks for the tip.

Oh yeah for sure, in my eyes Shawn Lane and Allan Holdsworth are the absolute masters of guitar, with Guthrie being a new generation contender.

Check out "The Tri-Tone Fascination" for some more "serious" and slightly less full on happy sounding stuff...

Love this tune for instance,

And "The Way It Has To Be" is amazing too along others.

But that's essentially the same thing ;)

The Haas effect is what you will get with the delay I suggested, except using 2 amps instead of one... And the enhancer is just a fancier version of that.

I think I will try HAAS combined with enhancer on a split signal route, try and experiment with getting as many concurrent sounds going on at once, 1 amp/cab with HAAS and another amp/cab with Enhancer, could very well lead me closer to ever than this elusive Shawn Lane tone! Cheers man

Back
Top Bottom