Tips for a realistic Spring Reverb sound?

Khruangbin, touring all over the world, is famous for their guitar sound, drowned in spring reverb.
So what does he use ... simply a EHX Holy Grail ... :)
We're cork sniffers.

Khruangbin, touring all over the world, is famous for their guitar sound, drowned in spring reverb.
So what does he use ... simply a EHX Holy Grail ... :)
We're cork sniffers.
Saw them live once and wasn‘t particularly impressed with the reverb sound (and yes, „drowned“ is the right word).

EDIT: I also never checked out the Holy Grail. Maybe it‘s good. Don‘t intend to buy one though.

I’d consider a Poly Effects Digit or used Logidy EPSI in a send/return loop of the Axe III. I like long convolution reverbs of real spaces and springs.

My personal experience is with spring reverb in combo amps which puts the reverb before the power stage, and of course, the speaker.

When I think of spring reverb, I think surf. One of the kings of surf, Dick Dale, ran original Fender reverb units BEFORE the amp. It had more controls to shape the sound. This guy demos both:

Hmm, after watching this video I think our "boinnng!" isn't as boinnng-y. I did find reducing the springs to 2, opening up the tone a bit and kicking up the drive (as well as the boinnng) parameters helps but yeah, I'm feeling it isn't quite the right drippy.

Edit: and yes I like it much better in front of the amp block

I’d consider a Poly Effects Digit or used Logidy EPSI in a send/return loop of the Axe III. I like long convolution reverbs of real spaces and springs.
I did get quite good results with a Space Designer (convolution reverb) in an Aux Channel in Logic put into a send/return loop, but of course it would be mega nice if this could be done with the AXE itself.

I'm feeling it isn't quite the right drippy.
Exactly my feelings...

Whaaaaaaat? This thing drips so much a dude in white coveralls ran up and slapped a "Wet Paint" sign on me when I was recording this:

Channel 3 on the attached reverb block was used. Block was in front of a nicely dialled in DR vibrato channel from @austinbuddy's latest live tones pack. Level is up to hit the amp harder, just like the video.

See also: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mark-speer-khruangbin.152491/

Attachments

• Drippy Springs_20200907_110559.blk
    679 bytes · Views: 33
Last edited:
Spring reverb is the best and most important reverb for guitar tones. I'd love a spring reverb block with 10 different sproings.
That's definitely an opinion. :)

Personally, I never use it and don't care for it at all. (Also an opinion ;))

Whaaaaaaat? This thing drips so much a dude in white coveralls ran up and slapped a "Wet Paint" sign on me when I was recording this:

Channel 3 on the attached reverb block was used. Block was in front of a nicely dialled in DR vibrato channel from @austinbuddy's latest live tones pack. Level is up to hit the amp harder, just like the video.

See also: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mark-speer-khruangbin.152491/

I see what you did, level up as well as the mix. Otherwise my settings are similar except I have mix to 20-25% and I turn up the spring drive to get that push. You have to play very staccato otherwise the reverb itself over takes the drip.

You have to play very staccato otherwise the reverb itself over takes the drip.
Exactly what happens IRL! :)

On the Axe-Fx III you can take advantage of the ducking parameter on the reverb block to make it more forgiving in this regard.

That's definitely an opinion. :)

Personally, I never use it and don't care for it at all. (Also an opinion ;))
I use it for surf style guitar but also sometimes in my Fender amp models for authenticity. Most of the time I live on a Vox or Marshall with some type of plate verb

I use it for surf style guitar but also sometimes in my Fender amp models for authenticity. Most of the time I live on a Vox or Marshall with some type of plate verb
Yeah... That would basically cover the 2 cases I would ever use it.

My best joke ever on this forum and it's buried three pages into a thread few will see, I suspect. Sigh.
Here, you earned it:
rmsht.gif

I say kudos for not reaching for the cheap innuendo
:)

More springs gives you a more full and complex wash of reverb. Less springs gives a more defined drip and boing surf thing. The old 63 tube reverb units had 2 spring tanks in them.

Also, if you add tremolo, make sure it is after the reverb if you want a more authentic Fender amp vibe. In the vintage Fender amp circuits, the signal chain goes preamp > reverb > vibrato (tremolo) > power amp. One exception is the Vibro King, which has a full 63 tube reverb circuit built in just before the preamp section. It has the same mix, dwell, and tone controls as the standalone unit, all in front of the amp's normal preamp section.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom