Tips for a realistic Spring Reverb sound?

polanoid

Inspired
Hi all,

I somewhat inappropriately brought up this topic in the firmware thread, so I'm putting it here - maybe I cn get some useful result here. Can anyone give advice on how to create a realistic Silver Face Twin Reverb spring reverb sound? I just love the sound when it comes from my Twin Reverb, so basically the only reason that makes me stick with it and not use the AXE FX III all the time that I couldn't find a way yet to make the Spring Reverb sound at least similar to what the real amp sounds like.

Tips I got from the community until now are: a) Turn the reverb block's hi-cut frequency down significantly and b) put the reverb block in front of the Amp block - both of which I tried, but failed to get any useful result yet. Maybe someone could kindly post a preset? Or any other ideas what I could try?

To my ears, the difference is especially significant when I listen to the reverb decaying after a percussive sound form my guitar. I hear a kind of "flanging" sound, and an LFO-like modulation on the amplitude which I never heard from the Twin Reverb.

i just compared the deluxe spring reverb in the axe (after the amp and cab) with the logic greyface convolution in space designer. i actually thought the logic one had a little more volume modulation than the axe one, but if you don't like that sound, you can reduce it by turning up input diffusion. you can see the eq curve in space designer (they were quite different between the two) but with some gentle tweaking i was able to make the axe one sound very similar to logic's one). thing is, all the spring convolutions in logic sound completely different from one another, so i'm not sure what your "ideal" one is.

I had our Fender Reverb unit delivered here yesterday. I will do some tests.

Be warned that the spring reverb used to be much more subtle but someone came in here and complained vociferously that it wasn't "drippy enough" and didn't match his spring reverb pedal. So I increased the "drippiness". It's one of those you can't please everyone situations.

FWIW, the plate, hall, etc. reverbs are far better than any spring reverb could ever be. I don't understand peoples infatuation with spring reverb when it's a crude method of trying to reproduce a real reverb.

Spring reverb is the only thing I've ever used with any of my tube amps. I love all the other reverb types, but spring is what I think about as a guitar reverb.

I always thought the spring types in the Axe had more spring artefacts than any of the amps I've owned with built-in reverb.

I like the spring reverb also. But I guess I am just use to them.Also like the cpu hit, or lack thereof.
But I personally think that ALL the reverbs in the FM3 and AX8 are terrific. I don't have the III so cannot comment on it in particular.
I also am a reverb nut.......

Be warned that the spring reverb used to be much more subtle but someone came in here and complained vociferously that it wasn't "drippy enough" and didn't match his spring reverb pedal. So I increased the "drippiness". It's one of those you can't please everyone situations.

FWIW, the plate, hall, etc. reverbs are far better than any spring reverb could ever be. I don't understand peoples infatuation with spring reverb when it's a crude method of trying to reproduce a real reverb.

For sure!
But maybe that the “ingrained” experience of them being our main source of reverb growing up hits a sweet spot in our pet preference sounds.

Ie...60’s surf ...western nostalgia themes ..etc

after playing around with the different spring sizes, the number of springs, echo density and other params - there is a huge amount of variations available.

I believe I hear what you are calling modulation in the tail of the reverb but only in the small spring type? I don't hear it in the medium and large versions.

I've never preferred spring reverb if basically any other options are available. At gig volume, spring reverb has this distracting, constant "SSSSHHHHHH" characteristic that doesn't actually sound like any of the notes you play, it's just a distracting white noise effect that fills empty space.

If I actually want to sound like I'm in a different physical space, I'll use Hall or Room reverb. Maybe Plate if I'm looking for something dreamy or ambient.

Spring reverb, on the other hand, I only use if I really want to hammer the listener with a "THIS IS AN OLD VINTAGE FENDER GUITAR TONE" type sound. The "boink" of spring reverb is a fun and cool toy to play with but really limits its usefulness as a musical tool.

The difference between good studio reverbs and spring reverb is basically the difference between a good studio compressor and an extremely-set pedal compressor. One sounds natural and transparent, and is meant to do a job the listener won't directly notice, but will feel. The other is an obvious guitar effect meant to create its own distinct sound for its own purpose.

I agree that that is more or less the experience I have with the Axe spring reverb. But on the amps I've owned, you could set the reverb dial to 1, and it would just add a subtle ambience and depth to the sound. I was never able to get the same with the spring revert in the AxeFX.

I used to be all spring reverb until I was paying closer attention to Leon Todd's presets and really loved the sound of the London Plate, esp around 10-12%. Sounds better than any Spring verb I tried over the last few years. I'd give it a try and A/B them both. You may be surprised at how great it sounds.

For me it's NOT surf, country or whatever music. It's about the sound I like for my guitars.
Yes all of my amps, mainly Fenders and Musicman amps had spring reverb. But I am more into Blues, R&B, Blues rock and good ole R&R........
I do use presets (and always have) with different plates and halls, etc)
But I still love me some good old spring reverb and I think Fractal has ir down pretty darn well. My musicman amps (I know, Leo Fender) had a nicer reverb to me than my Deluxes, etc.

I don't understand peoples infatuation with spring reverb when it's a crude method of trying to reproduce a real reverb.
Agreed - many of the other reverbs are much nicer. But in the AX8/FM3 world, the 8-10% CPU savings makes a big difference and the "less drippy" algorithm works great as an all-purpose background reverb for playing live.

Many of us use spring as our go-to reverb because that means we have room for another block or two in our presets. Is there any way there could be a switch/knob so we can control it ourselves?

Drippiness parameter... there's no other way!

Hi all,

I somewhat inappropriately brought up this topic in the firmware thread, so I'm putting it here - maybe I cn get some useful result here. Can anyone give advice on how to create a realistic Silver Face Twin Reverb spring reverb sound? I just love the sound when it comes from my Twin Reverb, so basically the only reason that makes me stick with it and not use the AXE FX III all the time that I couldn't find a way yet to make the Spring Reverb sound at least similar to what the real amp sounds like.

Tips I got from the community until now are: a) Turn the reverb block's hi-cut frequency down significantly and b) put the reverb block in front of the Amp block - both of which I tried, but failed to get any useful result yet. Maybe someone could kindly post a preset? Or any other ideas what I could try?

To my ears, the difference is especially significant when I listen to the reverb decaying after a percussive sound form my guitar. I hear a kind of "flanging" sound, and an LFO-like modulation on the amplitude which I never heard from the Twin Reverb.
I had downloaded your clips yesterday, but it was hard to compare... The Logic reverb's mix was higher and was more bassy, and also sounded more diffused? It was hard to discern what you're trying to go for, as those mix/EQ/diffusion characteristics were much more prominent to my ears than the difference in flanging/LFO-type sound you're describing.

Back
Top Bottom