Tips for a realistic Spring Reverb sound?

I seem to remember reading on Reverb Block notes on Wiki that placing the Spring Reverb before the amp gave the best results. I'm not sure. I like gooey better than drippy.

I'm not really a fan of spring reverb either. My favourite one is in the Source Audio Ventris, but even then I vastly prefer halls, plates and huge spaces. As others have said, it has certain quirks which make it unique. I'm not a fan of these quirks, but I admit they have their place.

Spring reverb is all I've ever known. So to me, it is what reverb is. That being said I don't have any issues with the reverb in the axe III. I play through power amp and cab. Sounds realistic to me

I NEVER use 'spring reverb' unless I'm especially shooting for a 60s western twang or surf sound.

My personal experience is with spring reverb in combo amps which puts the reverb before the power stage, and of course, the speaker.

When I think of spring reverb, I think surf. One of the kings of surf, Dick Dale, ran original Fender reverb units BEFORE the amp. It had more controls to shape the sound. This guy demos both:

I seem to remember reading on Reverb Block notes on Wiki that placing the Spring Reverb before the amp gave the best results. I'm not sure. I like gooey better than drippy.

Out front gives better results for certain sounds like surf guitar. Reverb in front is definitely more over the top and in your face. It's more subtle after the amp. If you want gooey, a warm plate reverb is probably a better choice for that. Spring reverb is more percussive and dynamic. It can emphasize your attack, while other reverb types tend to smooth it out in the tails.

Reactions: mwd
My personal experience is with spring reverb in combo amps which puts the reverb before the power stage, and of course, the speaker.

When I think of spring reverb, I think surf. One of the kings of surf, Dick Dale, ran original Fender reverb units BEFORE the amp. It had more controls to shape the sound. This guy demos both:

Gotta love R.J. Ronquillo. I really liked the amp verb when set to the minimum settings. As soon as he turns the amp verb up to five, it is way too much for my taste. Maybe I should experiment with adding hi-cut and reducing the drip. I did not like the external reverb tank as much. But I think this video is a great reference for spring reverb sounds - Maybe OP can comment on, which of these reverb sounds he likes.

I had one also-the one with 2 -10" speakers. Loved that amp and yup, the reverb was supurb!
I also had the 210 - Unfortunately, this was the nineties, and I was looking for a hardrock sound. Although I could get close with drive pedals, I never got the OOOMPF I needed from the speakers. So I sold it for cheap, and I miss it.

I love the twangy surf sound, so the cranked up spring reverb tank sound is exactly what I'm after at times. I use a different reverb for other kinds of music.

I had our Fender Reverb unit delivered here yesterday. I will do some tests.

Be warned that the spring reverb used to be much more subtle but someone came in here and complained vociferously that it wasn't "drippy enough" and didn't match his spring reverb pedal. So I increased the "drippiness". It's one of those you can't please everyone situations.

FWIW, the plate, hall, etc. reverbs are far better than any spring reverb could ever be. I don't understand peoples infatuation with spring reverb when it's a crude method of trying to reproduce a real reverb.
I guess it's a matter of taste... or of what you listened to when you grew up, I don't know. I just have that "infatuation". I love the spring reverb sound.

So, one question - maybe I should have asked that first: Which Spring Reverb would come closest to the reverb built into silverface Twin? Small/Medium/Large, or Deluxe? Maybe with that as a starting point I could try some tweaking to get closer to the sound I am looking for... Also, any other recommendations for the settings? Quite a lot of parameters really.

Maybe OP can comment on, which of these reverb sounds he likes.
The part starting at 4:54! Definitely! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Beautiful (to my ears, at least)! Listen to the reverb decay at around 5:10, that's THE sound. (Also much better than what I get from the built-in Spring Reverb in my - real-life - Twin Reverb)

Thanks for that link! Very informative! Now to be able to emulate that with the AXE... I guess I would never use a real amp anymore :)

Back
Top Bottom