Tips for a good wah modifier curve?

adew

Inspired
I'm struggling a bit to find a satisfactory wah tone with a high gain amp block. (Currently using FAS Lead 2, Euro Red and Recto Red Modern.)

In the past (ie pre-Axe), I've never been that happy with Crybabys in combination with a high gain amp tone and humbuckers - until I got the Zakk Wylde wah. I now want to recreate in the Axe what I'm used to with my Zakk Wylde wah. However, having found that the default straight line modifier curve felt "wrong", I have been tweaking the various modifier curve parameters to try to arrive at something that gives me both the overall tone sweep I'm looking for and the right relationship between this and treadle position. But I'm struggling...

Any tips for tweaking the modifier curve, or even some starting point settings? Obviously, I need to use my ears when tweaking, but I'm sure others have been in the same boat I'm currently in - so any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!

Thanks, Luke. I just loaded FW11b this evening so will try your suggestion tomorrow. Cheers!

Prior to the latest FW (where the wahs changed) I refused to use the wahs in the axe.

All that has changed in a big way.

You should be able to dial in a wah any way that floats your boat in the axe right now.

Simply outstanding!

Im in love with the new wahs. Everything they used to lack. Now they have plenty of.
Love the Clyde for clean funky wakawaka, and the Crybaby is easy to dial in for rock and highgain. Just adjust the low freq and high freq range to taste (mine is between 500 and 1800) and mess with the curve. I like to set middle quite low, that way I have a longer sweep. Try the different tapers, less or more tracking and a bit of fat. You can get anything from Cantrell to Dimebag with minor tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom