Tipps on Easily Obtaining Controlled Feedback

sprint

Axe-Master
Hi:

I'm getting more and more out of the axe as I learn to tweak this puppie. One thing I'm not able to do well with my rig (FRFR to 2 keyboard amps and/or SLA1 power amp to 2 Marshall 2x12 cabs) is to get controlled feedback (long sustain followed by blooming notes and then controlled sustained feedback. Here's what I've tried so far (from related threads on this forum) with limited success (lots of noise mostly) - any tips would be appreciated.

- Inverted Phase (through IO setting and/or enhancer with 0 width / both).
- Lowered Gate.
- Increased master volume.
- Increased output volume.
- Increased gain.
- Compressor at beginning of chain.

The first one works only a slightly for me although others seem to have had better success. The other items help but they add a lot of noise and/or are related to a tone that I'm not going for when needed (sustained notes --> bloom --> controlled feedback).

I have a patch that has an auto wah with sustained notes... I used the compressor as the first block with it set to pedal and it works pretty good...

mortega76 said:
I have a patch that has an auto wah with sustained notes... I used the compressor as the first block with it set to pedal and it works pretty good...

Thanks - what are your settings on the compressor - I tried it and it worked a bit but quite noisy.

I don't know what to tell you. I find it quite simple to get controlled feedback at lower volumes than a regular amp would need without compression. Sometimes reversing phase helps w/ some external setups. And some amp models feedback more easily with it reversed. It sounds like you are doing what you can w/ the axe-fx.

sprint said:
mortega76 said:

Thanks - what are your settings on the compressor - I tried it and it worked a bit but quite noisy.
We've had a couple of gigs lately and I haven't had a chance to hook up my Axe-fx to see what my settings are... as soon as I get a chance I'll definitely post the settings... if I remember correctly, the way I got a decent sustain was to increase the ratio to about 7.00 and I also had the attack and release at zero. Now that I think about, those might be the only settings I adjusted, then of course set your Threshold to taste.

javajunkie said:
I don't know what to tell you. I find it quite simple to get controlled feedback at lower volumes than a regular amp would need without compression. Sometimes reversing phase helps w/ some external setups. And some amp models feedback more easily with it reversed. It sounds like you are doing what you can w/ the axe-fx.
Same here. Its been very easy to get a controlled feedback at any volume.

GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:

Thanks for the info - I know there a lot more to getting feedback to happen than just pre-amp / effects settings. It's quite strange cuz I have a tiny Roland Cube that I use upstairs which I can get to feedback very easily without any coaxing and without a lot of extranious noise. In the basement though (guitar dungeon), the same guitar through the Axe-fx to FRFR (2 KB Amps) or to cabs (SLA-1 to 2 Marshal 2x12s) seems to have a lot less Natural sustain and is difficult to get any feedback going. Do you think the enviornment can have something to do with it? as I vaguely understand it, feedback is caused by the soundwaves from your speaker kind of reverberating back through your strings and pickups.

I've done a bit more reading on this, and appearently smallers amps / speakers feedback more readily which explains why the Roland Cube does it so well. I don't think the Axe-fx actually has a whole lot to do with it. I'll try moving some speaker positions around to see if that helps.

sprint said:
GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:

Thanks for the info - I know there a lot more to getting feedback to happen than just pre-amp / effects settings. It's quite strange cuz I have a tiny Roland Cube that I use upstairs which I can get to feedback very easily without any coaxing and with a lot of extranious noise. In the basement though (guitar dungeon), the same guitar through the Axe-fx to FRFR (2 KB Amps) or to cabs (SLA-1 to 2 Marshal 2x12s) seems to have a lot less Natural sustain and is difficult to get any feedback going. Do you think the enviornment can have something to do with it? as I vaguely understand it, feedback is caused by the soundwaves from your speaker kind of reverberating back through your strings and pickups.

I've done a bit more reading on this, and appearently smallers amps / speakers feedback more readily which explains why the Roland Cube does it so well. I don't think the Axe-fx actually has a whole lot to do with it. I'll try moving some speaker positions around to see if that helps.

Yes, the environment can play a big role.

I'd be interested in suggestions on obtained better natural sustain, and bloomed feedback as well.

I can take my guitar and play it through my Marshall, H&K, Budda, Dr. Z, etc, and get natural sustain and controlled feedback (bloom) without any difficulty, although some amps do it better than others. I've had a hard time getting natural sustain and bloom with my Axe. I have both a Verve 8 and a QSC. In fact, I'd say the sustain is substantially less using the Axe. I love the tone I am getting, but would really like to get the sustain and bloom, as I like to interact with my amp, making it an extension of my instrument....

Specifically, what techniques have people used? What exact parms? Anyone using a Verve and able to get natural sustain and bloom?

Thanks in advance...

wknight2 said:
I'd be interested in suggestions on obtained better natural sustain, and bloomed feedback as well.

I can take my guitar and play it through my Marshall, H&K, Budda, Dr. Z, etc, and get natural sustain and controlled feedback (bloom) without any difficulty, although some amps do it better than others. I've had a hard time getting natural sustain and bloom with my Axe. I have both a Verve 8 and a QSC. In fact, I'd say the sustain is substantially less using the Axe. I love the tone I am getting, but would really like to get the sustain and bloom, as I like to interact with my amp, making it an extension of my instrument....

Specifically, what techniques have people used? What exact parms? Anyone using a Verve and able to get natural sustain and bloom?

Thanks in advance...

Easiest way if you are not getting it now, switch the output phase in the output settings

Get a Sustainiac Model C ;)
(http://www.sustainiac.com/model-b.htm)
The things are awesome.

Here is an example of something I did using it. It was done for the trailer of a presently in-production horror film being made in Australia called
"The Reef". --> www.mediafire.com/?gnzddbxgmnm
The howls underneath the heartbeat and breathing are my guitar through the Sustainiac Model C.

I doubt the Axe-Fx will ever be able to mimic what it does since it actually sends vibrations into the guitar neck as part of its operation.

wknight2 said:

Thanks in advance...
I'm able to have controlled feedback at very low volume on crunch sounds, and my guitar sustain is weak.
Just a question, how do you set your input1 ?

fremen said:
wknight2 said:

Thanks in advance...
I'm able to have controlled feedback at very low volume on crunch sounds, and my guitar sustain is weak.

What kind of amplification are you using?

2x20 watts hifi amp which I've had since 1985, 100 watts hifi speakers… Check my "Axe-Fx Controller demo" on youtube, the 4th preset, where I control the drive with an expression pedal. At some point it goes in controlled feedback and that's only a crunch sound, at low volume

Input 1 is set so that I am getting 1 red light on a regular basis.

On a side note, I spent a good deal of time fiddling. Using the JCM800, if the master is set near all the way up 9.75, controlled feedback is easier. I really didn't see any difference flipping the phase (used the Bogner and JCM800 as test cases). Is the phase something that works better on certain amp models?

The Atomic is supposed to arrive today, so I'm itching to do more tests tomorrow with it.

fremen said:

wknight2 said:
On a side note, I spent a good deal of time fiddling. Using the JCM800, if the master is set near all the way up 9.75, controlled feedback is easier. I really didn't see any difference flipping the phase (used the Bogner and JCM800 as test cases). Is the phase something that works better on certain amp models?

The Atomic is supposed to arrive today, so I'm itching to do more tests tomorrow with it.

fremen said:

What nobody is chiming in here with is the very nature of feedback. Feedback happens when you create a loop between an audio input and an audio output in a circuit in which the gain of the input is increased. When signal goes into the input and comes out the output, if it gets picked up again by the input and passed through again, with its gain increasing, eventually you will reach a point where conditions are right for oscillation. If you want the science, and the debates, look up Larsen Effect, Barkhausen Stability Criterion, Nyquist, et al.

What you will find is that when we are dealing with audio signals being fed to a microphone (which in this case would be a guitar pickup) and from the microphone into a circuit that increases the gain, unless all the frequencies are completely flat (impossible to achieve), as the gain is increased some frequencies get their gain increased faster than others. Ultimately, one of the frequencies will trigger oscillation (in theory, provided, its phase is an integer multiple of 360 and its gain equals 1) . Which one that is depends on many factors. Without going into the issues of angularity and such - which I understand just enough to be really dangerous - the factors when it comes to electric guitar feedback boil down primarily to these (oversimplifying): resonance frequency, gain, output volume, directionality, and the frequency distribution of the output device (the speaker).

To vastly oversimplify even further - If you send a signal from a guitar pickup into the Axe, and it ultimately comes out the speaker, if that speaker sends out a frequency that resonates with a string in front of the guitar pickup and causes it to send that frequency again - you'll get feedback. By the same token, if the speaker sends out a frequency that causes the pickup to vibrate (resonate), then the pickup could send its resonance frequency back through the chain, and you'll get feedback. If the frequency causes the guitar to vibrate enough to vibrate the pickup, if the frequency causes the pickguard to vibrate, if the frequency can cause anything to vibrate such that the pickup sends that frequency back through the amplification, you'll get feedback.

Now, if we WANT to get feedback, what are the problems? Well, the less inclined the pickup is to oscillate, the less inclined it is to send the frequency in question back through the circuit. So if it's bolted to wood, and the wood isn't terribly resonant, and your processing chain isn't kicking the gain up much and the volume isn't terribly loud, and you don't point the pickup directly at the speaker, and the distribution of the frequencies from the speaker is pretty flat, you aren't going to get feedback. On the other hand, if the pickup is mounted to a pickguard, and the pickguard is screwed into resonant wood, and the volume is pretty loud, and you point the pickup at the speaker, and the speaker emphasizes a range of frequencies that include the resonant frequency of the pickguard (or the guitar such that IT triggers the resonant frequency of the pickguard, that pickups gonna start oscillating and you're going to get feedback.

So controlling feedback is about getting things to oscillate at a frequency that you like and keeping it stable. Boost the volume enough and it's a strong possibility that you're gonna get feedback at some point. Use a guitar cabinet instead of a FRFR speaker, and you're going to increase the likelihood because guitar cabs and speakers make certain frequencies louder and kill others, whereas an FRFR solution is trying to evenly amplify all the frequencies it gets from the level it gets them up to the limitations placed on it. Use a Strat instead of a Les Paul and you'll increase the likelihood. Use a high-gain preamp rather than a low-gain preamp and you'll increase the likelihood.

I keep saying likelihood because while Barkhausen's criterion arguably dictates necessary conditions for oscillations, it doesn't necessarily define sufficient criteria.

All right, so what do I - with my limited and dangerous knowledge - think getting controlled feedback out of the Axe and FR speakers is going to take? Finding the frequencies you'd like to get the loop to oscillate at and boosting the hell out of them. Factors that are going to be involved: volume is number one, because no matter how much you boost some frequency, it's going to have to come at the guitar with sufficient magnitude to trigger sympathetic vibration. Gain is number two, because that's obviously the first step in getting to oscillation - increasing the gain of the signal. People have mentioned phase, and technically phase is important because Barkhausen's criterion says oscillation can occur if the phase of the frequency in question is an integer multiple of 360 and the gain of the frequency = 1. So inverting the output phase will, in theory, get us closer.

From there you want to start fiddling with frequencies, and you get lots of possibilities with that. The tone controls of the amp model. The model itself. The center frequency of the preamp. GEQ blocks. PEQ blocks. Global EQ. It's about finding that frequency that you want to feed back, giving it enough gain and volume, establishing the proper phase relationship, and letting nature take it's course.

Again, I'm oversimplifying all this, and Cliff and others hear will likely howl at my dunce's attempt at explanation. But they hadn't chimed in yet, so I did.

I just wanted to make sure you realized that it isn't about just inverting the phase, or just doing this, or just doing that. Yes, the environment has a big impact, but that impact is not a restriction. It's a relationship of various factors that have to be addressed to get what you want.

Awesome Post Raz!

I was experimenting last night with some of the suggestions from this thread and am starting to get good results. As Raz indicates above, there's a number of factors involved. One factor that really got things moving for me is touching the guitar headstock to the speaker cab. Doing this I get endless controllable sustain at moderate volume / gain levels without the need for a compressor.

Getting there - thanks all for the great tips.

One more thing to consider: too many effects (or too wet) will kill natural feedback. And with the Axe-FX (and its awesome effects), it's easy to go overboard. That will kill your natural feedback.

Sprint said he easily got feedback from a Roland cube. Wknight2 said he easily got feedback from Marshall, H&K, Budda, Dr. Z. All of these are straight amps, with littel or no effects at all. I'm guessing, of course, and both of them could have been using tons of outboard effects... but I'm just saying, natural feedback comes a lot more naturally with fewer effects.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom