TIP: Tone matching VST plugin 50% off (~$27) this week

Smittefar

Axe-Master
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeformEqualizer

I would have loved tone matching capabilities in the AX8, but I understand, why it was left out. I have also said numerous times that if Fractal released the tone match feature as a VST or stand-alone program, I would buy it, instantly.

I have been searching for alternatives, and this is the best I have found

The demo is here the demo of MfreeformEqualizer starts at 13:05.

I have used this plugin to tonematch my acoustic guitar - I struggle to get as good results as Moke's acoustic simulation, but this plugin takes me close (I am pretty sure, the software is adequate, what is lacking is my experience and ability). Also, I have a home studio with different mics and stuff, and I like the idea of tone matching 'per song'.

The plugin will not create the IR file. You need to use a deconvolution program to do that. Reaper has one built in, but I have found that it does not work nearly as good as Voxengos free Deconvolver.

The workflow is:
1) record acoustic guitar and electric/acoustic DI signal
2) Use Mfreeformequalizer to match the spectrums of the two sources (The parameter Range should be maxed out, and you have to play with smoothness to get the right balance between a detailed tone match and overly phasey sounds)
3) Optional: add a 200 ms reverb to the DI sound. The sound of an acoustic is to a great extent formed by the sound bouncing around in the box. When playing DI (even with a tone match) these reverbarations are missing completely.
4) Use Voxengo Deconvolver to create a test signal
5) Use your DAW to record the test signal played through the MFreeformEqualizer (and optional reverb) - It is most likely necessary to reduce the output gain frem the EQ by as much as 50 dB to avoid clipping.
6) Use Voxengo Deconvolver to deconvolve the test signal and the the one played through the plugins. If you reduced gain in the previous step, you have to add it back in in Voxengo Deconvolver.
7) Voxengo Deconvolver produced a .wav IR file. Use CabLab (Lite) to open and test it with your guitar, and eventually to send your new IR to your AX8 as a user cab.

I may do a video on how to do this at some point, but it will definitely not be this week. I might have time to do it during the Holidays, but then this offer will have expired.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no relationship with Melda Productions or Voxengo.

Ok, thought so but I guess you no longer need to run it through CabLab. Were you using the demo version of the Voxengo plugin ? Looks like there's no free version except the demo.

Just using the demo. Works fine, it it's just little annoying. They have a holiday sale now. I might buy the full version.

That is true, it is quite good, but it 'only' has 40 splines for each curve, and to my taste, that is too smooth. The FreeformEQ will pick up any difference in frequency spectrum - down to a single Hz, I believe. This causes lots of phaziness in the sound, but I think for many tone matches, the 'phaziness' is an important part of the sound. You can use the smoothing parameter (and maybe even a bit of reverb) to taylor the amount of phaziness.

Back
Top Bottom