Tip for Friedman HB and HBE presets.

count_chocolat

Experienced
For some reason these have always been my go to Crunch and High Gain amps. I just love em...They sound very good out of the box with the default values, however they get lost in a band context...and clash with Bass and Keyboards. So FWIW, if you lower the bass, bump up the mids and treble and then low cut the cab block to 120Hz it makes a hell of a difference.

You can also turn down the Depth. The BE/HBE has a fixed depth circuit that gives a lot of bass boost. The model defaults the Depth to match this.

You can also turn down the Depth. The BE/HBE has a fixed depth circuit that gives a lot of bass boost. The model defaults the Depth to match this.
I've notice the defaut depth parameter for the Friedmans was even higher than previous firmware, around 6. Good thing for a stand alone context but not so in the mix. By lowering this to around 2-3, the highs reveals themselves like magic in the mix, still the guitar sounds full and kickass!!

I've notice the defaut depth parameter for the Friedmans was even higher than previous firmware, around 6. Good thing for a stand alone context but not so in the mix. By lowering this to around 2-3, the highs reveals themselves like magic in the mix, still the guitar sounds full and kickass!!

I find bringing the Depth down goes in the right direction but is not enough for a good cut and thins out the sound, whereas working it with the Bass Mid and Treble gets it there without affecting the body of the tone.

Just bumping this thread, as I've found the same thing. For reference, I'm running into a Matrix GT1000FX and CFR12 (which is on its side when at rehearsals to act in a traditional back-lin way).

Certainly with the model at default settings, it sounds WONDERFUL on its own. But in a band context, and with another guitarist, it pretty much takes up the entire EQ space when it gets going -- it's 'there' but not cutting.

Switching to: Bass 4, Mid 6, Treble 6 has helped tame the low end, and I've adjusted the cab block low cut as described earlier in this thread which has also helped.

I must admit, I haven't touched the 'Depth' parameter though...

Try spawn nitro. It has boomy and soft loose bass, but if you adjust preamp low cut in the advanced parameters to about 500hz the sound is awesome, and imo a bit punchier than HBE. Pwr amp low cut to 90hz.

thanks very much, I love the BE & HBE... I agree they can get a little lost in a band mix, I'll try these suggestions

OP: here are my personal settings (running humbuckers) through the Friedman BE:

Amp:
Drive: 3.5
Bass/Mid/Treb/Pres: 3/7.5/7/6
Dynamic Pres: +2.00
MV: 3.5
Xfrmr Match: 0.750

Cab:
4x12 Basketweave AX Mix
4x12 Santiago EJ1250

Note: I mix the cab by setting it to stereo and panning both cabs to 0.

All other parameters are stock/default.

The key to this amp model, IMHO, is this: keep your preamp gain down; you do not need the front end compression if you like dynamics. The amp is pretty gainy already. The "Dynamic Presence" is money; that adds your cut as you play harder - this parameter is GOLD. The "Xfrmr Match" parameter is the 1-2 punch money parameter - it opens the amp up and lets it breath; set this to taste.

The cabs are - with all FRFR - where the payoff is. The Santiago IR's are very middy on their own; but added to a 'bigger' sounding IR, they are the perfect compliment. When you play in a mix or with a band... here is where you will notice what it adds.

I do not personally need, want or desire anything related to the low cut/high cut with this amp model with the above advice taken into consideration. I use it a lot and have used it extensively live in a dense rock band at full volume.

Short synopsis: lower your preamp gain the louder you play; you do not need all the preamp gain you think you do if you play at volume. The volume will add the body. The money parameters are not the mid or tone controls; the money is in the Dynamic Presence and XFMR Match. Work with those two parameters LAST (I normally raise the former a bit and lower the XFMR Match a bit). GOLDEN.

The key - as in all FRFR - is the cab. Your choices here dictate the actual majority of what you end up with. The importance cannot be overstated or repeated enough. It is massive.

On the Dynamic Presence, I just found this the other day and started using it - a lot. As Scott says, take it up to 2-3:00 and almost any model in the Axe that is based on a Marshall circuit will come alive. It's pretty much the money control for the 100 watt Plexi too. I haven't messed the Xformer match yet, but will give it a shot and see what it does for me.

Thanks all for your input!

I'm glad that my basic EQ settings were in line with a couple of people that have contacted me (and pretty much match up with Scott's posting above too). I've experimented with the Dynamic Presence and Xfmr Match parameters and agree that they are adding more, well, presence to the sound. I've kept the Gain on 3.5 which of course is helping keep the bass in check. Even that may be a bit too much gain for my typical crunch tone but we will see when this is dialled up at volume.

I've set up another Plexi 100W preset using some of this info, plus also the settings from Scott's recently uploaded Plexi patch, and that is sounding like a really good complement to the Friedman BE. I can't really decide which of the two I prefer!

I use the Friedman HBE/BE on many of my presets and I also have the real Amp so I AB them so I can get the closest sound from the original.
I usually set the graphic eq at a medium smily curve starting with the 1khz at 3.5 as the lowest level and move the rest of the freq. 63hz at 0 db,125Hz - 1db, 250Hz -1.5db, 500Hz - 2db , 2 kHz -2db, 4kHz -1db, 8kHz 0db.
These are ballpark figures and it depends on what speaker I use. I use the graphic eq to simulate the Sat switch.
I lower the depth a bit which I believe it simulates the Fat switch on the real amp. My tone controls are set to Bass at 3 or 4, mids at 4, treble at 4 or 5 with the bright switch on and the presence between 2 or 5. The dynamic presence is set at 2 and the gain between 4 to 5. I sometimes use the Sat switch for leads.
I crank the master between 3 to 5 on the HBE and higher on the BE. The sweet spot on my real Friedman is master at 5 depending on what type of power tubes I use . Also the brand of preamp tubes makes a big difference with distorted tones.
I don't use FRFR, I use 3 different Marshall's 4 x 12's and a custom 2 x 12( usually us a 2 x 12 with a 4x 12) and I use Scumback's BM75,H75,M75, Scumnico and S75PVC. For amps I just changed to a Matrix GT1000Fx.

This is awesome stuff. I did make the change Count recommended - much better! I love this model too, have been using it a lot.

But I like what Scott is saying too, will give that a try. Right now, my ears are shot from having too much fun.

Back
Top Bottom