1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Tip: Back up with Fractal-Bot

Discussion in 'Tech Notes' started by Admin M@, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Admin M@

Admin M@
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

This is a public service announcement reminding you to back up your custom presets, cabs, and settings. It's easy: just connect to Fractal-Bot, change to the RECEIVE tab, and make a complete backup on your computer. Then, zip it up and email it to yourself. It should go without saying that backups are a much easier way to recover from a mishap than scrambling to program emergency presets during a soundcheck.

voes, Slayerblob, D7guitar and 10 others like this.
  2. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

i almost wish Receive was the first tab in Bot to inspire this when updating :D maybe even an "irritating" pop up that says "do you have a recent backup? do you REALLY have one?"

:D

Hoosierdaddy, Slayerblob and ScottyB like this.
  3. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

I have Bot put all my backups in my Dropbox-connected folder. That automatically makes them available to me on all my computers and keeps revisions of files. It also gives me 30 days to recover a file if I accidentally delete it.

And that folder is also pushed to BackBlaze.

You can never have too many backups. :)

Daveis, Phil Scholling, voes and 3 others like this.
  4. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

same. i do that for my computer clients too. time machine (yuck) or superduper backup on site, they work out of dropbox and i symlink other folders, and backblaze does it all for remote. :O

5. Toopy14

Toopy14
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Just backed mine up the other day. They're saved on my primary drive, automatically on my back-up drive and I also uploaded them to Dropbox. I don't gig though, so according to Murphy's Law...I'm good!

6. h.c.e.

h.c.e.
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I backup always before a firmware update and periodically in between if it feels like it’s been awhile. Once the backup is complete I select the .syx files and then run an AppleScript I wrote that zips up the selected items (after prompting for a name based on the base name of the selected files, and lets me add additional text — ususally I include a short hand of the firmware version number that i was in when I did the backup), then places that zip in an archive folder on my local computer and a copy on my Dropbox, and then removes the individual backup files after. I tend to only keep the most recent zip archive on Dropbox so I can access it from another computer if need be.

7. WhiteSpace

WhiteSpace
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Done and ready to update anytime :D

8. rtcook

rtcook
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I've had trouble with backups completing in the past on my II, but this one works like it should for my III. It takes longer, but, I the files are larger. Very pleased it works well as I always make backups and save them to my server.

9. ChristThePhone

ChristThePhone
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

No backup, no pity

10. Smittefar

Smittefar
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Each backup is 40 minutes, where I cannot play my AX8 - that makes it difficult ;)

11. sskkmm

sskkmm
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Just backed up my III thanks for the reminder

12. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

Don’t back up the factory presets? Things that haven’t changed?

13. rodzimguitar68

rodzimguitar68
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I'm backing up bank 1 and my system settings at the end of a programming session. I have BOT save them to the "odrive" folder of my computer, which is tied to several of my free google drive accounts and my Amazon 1TB cloud account. I can access them from the web. If I needed to, I could download and install FRACTAL BOT onto any computer on hand (although I normally bring my MacBook Pro with me) and restore my stuff.

WhiteSpace likes this.
  14. skunc

skunc
    Expand Collapse
    New here

You don't have a backup plan if you don't keep your files stored in 3 separate locations. Also, when saving your sysx, save your current firmware version and other support apps (AxeEdit, FractalBot etc...) as well. You need the ability to rebuild your rig from the ground up as quickly as possible without being online and downloading files.

iaresee and api4u like this.