Tip: Adjustable Lead Volume

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys,

Every so often there's someone asking how you boost your lead volume and by how much, and there's usually a range of tips including scene output volume and null filter blocks.

One thing that I haven't seen covered before is how to adjust the lead volume on the fly. At first this might seem kind of silly, but I've found with my band that usually 3-4dB volume boost will get me there, but every so often, the rest of the band digs in a bit more on that day, or in that venue, it's not enough and I wish I had a bit more, just when playing lead.

Another thing is that a 4dB boost is way too much when playing at home to recordings for practice.

So today I added another mini-knob from This1smyne.com, the one that sits between the Polytune and the Wireless receiver.

IMG_2138_zpsy6zzhd6o.jpg

I have then attached that to a Null Filter block, with a modifier for the volume as follows:

AX8-Edit_zpsticw4imn.png

I found that when I added a bit of gain to this scene, it added about 2dB of volume so when I turn the knob all the way off it really is unity volume, or engaging me lead scene with the knob turned all the way off gives no increase in volume - perfect for when playing home. I can still press all the buttons as I would live.

I then aim to normally put the knob in the middle (and I've adjusted the knob so that's when the dial points at 12 o'clock) and that gives me my normal lead boost of 4dB for this preset (6dB - -2dB = 8dB, 8dB/2 = 4db) but if I want, or need, I'm only half way and I can increase my lead volume another 4dB - no one can stop me now :)

This can obviously be adjusted per preset as well. I have another preset for pop-songs, and then 3dB lead boost normally works fine so in that preset I adjust the null filter between 0 and 6dB. That means that the normal in the middle value is my 3dB lead boost.

I think this will prove very handy with my band!

Enjoy!

Hi guys,

Every so often there's someone asking how you boost your lead volume and by how much, and there's usually a range of tips including scene output volume and null filter blocks.

One thing that I haven't seen covered before is how to adjust the lead volume on the fly. At first this might seem kind of silly, but I've found with my band that usually 3-4dB volume boost will get me there, but every so often, the rest of the band digs in a bit more on that day, or in that venue, it's not enough and I wish I had a bit more, just when playing lead.

Another thing is that a 4dB boost is way too much when playing at home to recordings for practice.

So today I added another mini-knob from This1smyne.com, the one that sits between the Polytune and the Wireless receiver.

IMG_2138_zpsy6zzhd6o.jpg

I have then attached that to a Null Filter block, with a modifier for the volume as follows:

AX8-Edit_zpsticw4imn.png

I found that when I added a bit of gain to this scene, it added about 2dB of volume so when I turn the knob all the way off it really is unity volume, or engaging me lead scene with the knob turned all the way off gives no increase in volume - perfect for when playing home. I can still press all the buttons as I would live.

I then aim to normally put the knob in the middle (and I've adjusted the knob so that's when the dial points at 12 o'clock) and that gives me my normal lead boost of 4dB for this preset (6dB - -2dB = 8dB, 8dB/2 = 4db) but if I want, or need, I'm only half way and I can increase my lead volume another 4dB - no one can stop me now :)

This can obviously be adjusted per preset as well. I have another preset for pop-songs, and then 3dB lead boost normally works fine so in that preset I adjust the null filter between 0 and 6dB. That means that the normal in the middle value is my 3dB lead boost.

Enjoy!
Hi, with my band for live.. i used null filter.. setting 6 db... is good... for me...

Hi guys,

IMG_2138_zpsy6zzhd6o.jpg

AX8-Edit_zpsticw4imn.png

Enjoy!

I have been doing this ever since I have been using Fractal! Using the same knob as well.

I just attach an exp pedal to cab level. It's before delay/reverb so it does't disturb those and sounds natural. Set it to whatever range you need. No extra block needed.

I guess the point was to control the lead volume level only without changing the rhythm level so an extra block would be required.

Interesting tips here. It can be a tricky one as like has been said, if the band is digging in then the 4db null filter doesn't quite cut it. I've been using 5 band GEQ with a bit of mid range and 3.5db boost. I do find though that with the extra mids it can clip the patch of there is already comp and some dirt going. I will try the x/y filter trick.

Stupid question time,... I'm just getting around to setting up my AX8 and was thinking about the whole "Lead db boost" thing,.. I was originally thinking about just using an x/y setting to change parameters or something to that effect?..

(sorry,.. don't mean to hi-jack :eek: )

Stupid question time,... I'm just getting around to setting up my AX8 and was thinking about the whole "Lead db boost" thing,.. I was originally thinking about just using an x/y setting to change parameters or something to that effect?..

I did that at first but there will always be a gap when switching X/Y even if the same amp. A better way is to use Control Switch to change gain and levels since there is no gap. You can assign CTL 1 to a foot switch in place of amp X/Y.

Others with way more knowledge and experience should chime in, but I don't think switching x/y amps is a great way. In fact I try to avoid using the x/y at all. When I change x/y in a block, I notice a little silent gap as the new block loads - this hurts the internal mojo I got going. I think you would want to use a controller to effect a volume parameter (in a filter block for example), or click on/off a block that provides a volume boost.

hmmm.... well I have an SP-1 coming with a switch, so maybe I could have that set up as my lead boost.... I had kind of thought of that as my default wah wah though...

The trick with my setup compared to x/y null filters is that's its global across presets, as long as you configure the modifier on each preset. Where's with x/y null filter, each time you switch scene or preset and you want to use the 6dB Y state, you'll have to manually switch as both scenes and preset changes will revert to the stored x/y state. This in turn also means that you need to use a foot switch for the filter block. My lead volume change will work even if you only set the lead filter on or off via a scene (like I do).

hmmm.... well I have an SP-1 coming with a switch, so maybe I could have that set up as my lead boost.... I had kind of thought of that as my default wah wah though...

I like the Null Filter. Mine is set for between 3-4 db.
After I started using the Null, I realized I have been creating my patches a little over 0 VU.
And like as mentioned above if you have Comp on then add Null you can get clipping.
So as I create new patches I keep that in mind and set the output level on the VU meter to just under 0.

Another thing to keep in mind, if using IEM's, when adding a volume boost, you may have a hard time hearing the rest of the band!

Back
Top Bottom