Tip: Adding a Filter block to measure relative volume levels

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys, first band rehearsal with my Axe Fx coming up tomorrow and I was sitting dialing in levels for different presets. Having watched Chris' excellent video on gain staging and preventing internal clipping (Preset Gain-Staging and Preventing Internal Clipping - Axe-FX II - YouTube), one thing that isn't really covered is how to measure different presets to make sure they are on the correct relative level. After watching the levels in the Utility menu, there's also no actual levels there to assist with how much headroom we actually have on a preset.

So, today I came up with a way. I added a Filter block as the last block and simply increased the level until I just hit the internal clipping. So with all the boost enabled, volume pedal maxed and everything else turned on that would increase the internal volume enabled, I set the Filter block on +2 dB boost and adjusted the volume until it just started clipping. I now know that I have 2 dB headroom on my loudest lead patch with everything maxed. Similarly, I could then decide how loud the other volumes should be. So I set the Filter to +6 dB on my crunch channel and I now know that I will get a 4 dB volume boost between the crunch and the lead preset. And so on. Now, I fully expect to having to tweak this, but this will give a starting point and a way to measure where's before it appeared to be a bit of guess work just looking at the meters in the utility menu.

Added a Filter block adds about 1% CPU so for now I'm just going to leave it there disabled so that if I'm dialling in a new crunch preset for instance, I know what volume level to aim for.

Haven't seen anyone else talk about this so hopefully this will be useful to someone!

Hi!

This is good for checking peak levels of the preset to prevent clipping. I do the very same thing to know how much headroom I have for lead vs rhythm sounds.

But it won't help you to know the loudness of the presets: it really depends on how you play the guitar and how much the sound is compressed.

For example: a very clean patch could clip when strumming hard. Then, if you engage a drive block, you will get a louder patch whithout clipping.

Yes, I realize that, and it will also very much be affected in a band context on what the others are playing at any given time how it will affect the relative sound levels. But at least this is a way to have some form of measurement. I can then adjust the volume with the volume pedal if needed on the fly, and then go back and change relative levels in presets as needed.

one thing that isn't really covered is how to measure different presets to make sure they are on the correct relative level

use your ears. as you said, it will change with the band, context and how you play in that moment. so quantified measurements are kinda pointless.

We used to multitrack record our rehearsals, allowed me to review and adjust as required. We are in the midst of a line up change and are not recording, so I needed to come up with a new method as 11 has required me to make adjustments to pretty much every preset I have made.

Well, the last couple jams, I just use my Boss BR80 and record my patches/scene's while rehearsing so I have a clear "real Playing" recording and then take those home and compare in my DAW, using a spectrograph analyzer. This gets me 100%of the way there as I also remember the mix when reviewing, it's crazy how your brain remembers stuff when association is applied. It's nice to hear your isolated playback as well, as you are your own worst critique :p

Back
Top Bottom