Tinnitus sufferers rejoice

I’ve seen and clinically trialed a lot of these type of devices without any real success during my clinical residency, which was specialized in tinmitis, sound sensitivity and misophonia. About the only proven “treatment” is hearing aids, as they help restore the high frequency content lost through hearing loss, and it is this resulting auditory deprivation that results in the brains tinnitus perception. By giving it more real world stimulus it can often help reduce tinnitus perception.

sadly with 30-50 million people reporting tinnitus disturbance, there are tons of companies all trying to make a buck off the latest “cure”.

Well I figure this should be easy enough to try. By the looks of it all you need is a vibration motor from a phone, more or less, and maybe read a few papers on how this is supposed to work for motion sickness.

I’ve seen and clinically trialed a lot of these type of devices without any real success during my clinical residency, which was specialized in tinmitis, sound sensitivity and misophonia. About the only proven “treatment” is hearing aids, as they help restore the high frequency content lost through hearing loss, and it is this resulting auditory deprivation that results in the brains tinnitus perception. By giving it more real world stimulus it can often help reduce tinnitus perception.

sadly with 30-50 million people reporting tinnitus disturbance, there are tons of companies all trying to make a buck off the latest “cure”.
It's curious that this information comes in the form of a LinkedIn post that reads like an infomercial.

Last edited:
I always tell patients when they ask about products like this is that it’s like a cure for cancer. If there was something that really worked, you’d know about it, it would be everywhere, and a billion dollar idea.

same thing with tinnitus, up to 50 million people report disturbance and about 90% of people with noise induced hearing loss do. If there was something that worked, people would pay whatever the asking price was without pause. They’d have it everywhere, magazines, tv, you name it. It wouldnt be some obscure web article, and all the major players in the business would be licensing rights.

I always tell patients when they ask about products like this is that it’s like a cure for cancer. If there was something that really worked, you’d know about it, it would be everywhere, and a billion dollar idea.

same thing with tinnitus, up to 50 million people report disturbance and about 90% of people with noise induced hearing loss do. If there was something that worked, people would pay whatever the asking price was without pause. They’d have it everywhere, magazines, tv, you name it. It wouldnt be some obscure web article, and all the major players in the business would be licensing rights.

Maybe it's new and not out there yet? Just because someone invents something doesn't mean every knows about it instantly.. Hell guys are just now finding out about the axe-fx, like it's something new.

..Reminds me of a time a customer contacted us and told us that one of our products "had this amazing effect" on this person suffering from cancer .. Like you said, and like I told that guy - "a-thing" might work great for "a person".. but replicating the results in "people" is a different matter altogether. :0)

The head of the oncology department treating that patient contacted me, so I guess our customer wasn't BS'ing in that case - told him to do all the testing and go through the channels, but our product was never intended for that use, and no claims for that use should be propagated without all the proper testing to back up those claims. Which, he understood entirely; though we had to quit selling to that customer who originally made the claims, as he was continuing to make claims our own testing couldn't back-up.

So, I do get your skepticism.

Too many people out there grabbing for cash, and selling BS products "to alleviate another's suffering" without there being any basis in reality for the broad claims they make. We deny sales to people like that at-least once a month.

"A thing", might help "a person" that can be true, but it's the proper testing that separates an effective antibiotic from the "Dr. Shawshank's Stupendous Colon Remedies" of the world.

What could have happened, is that she was being distracted by periods of vibration. The buzzing interacting with the same nerve bundles and tiny bones in her ears and whatnot. ...Which might be kinda like stabbing yourself in the leg with a spork to confuse pain in another area of the body. ... I don't know. Either way, I'm not sure I want to replace whistling, with strap-on buzzing/vibrating headgear - not sure that's a step in the right direction.

..but ...y'know ..fingers crossed ..that one day..

What could have happened, is that she was being distracted by periods of vibration. The buzzing interacting with the same nerve bundles and tiny bones in her ears and whatnot. ...Which might be kinda like stabbing yourself in the leg with a spork to confuse pain in another area of the body. ... I don't know. Either way, I'm not sure I want to replace whistling, with strap-on buzzing/vibrating headgear - not sure that's a step in the right direction.

While the spork reference was extreme...it's not inaccurate. After reading that article this was my exact thought. No actual physical effect, but more of making that region that experiences disorientation (or the ancillary benefit tinitus) to focus on something else.

I would expect the benefit to be temporal. That is...it will work for a period of time, then as an individual gets used to it, the other symptoms its purported to help will return.

IMO.

And frankly, the tone of the article had a 'rah rah' aspect to it that I associate with similar promotion articles involving resolution of foot pain...or men's virility.

Again....IMO.

R

I'd imagine that the real cure will involve something like stem cells, that actually go to work and repair the damaged nerves. Sort of like what they're doing for spinal cord problems. Imagine being able to hear like you were 16 again. Before most of us started trashing our hearing. Not to mention the degradation that comes from age.

My vote? Complete bullshit! It's that typical pseudo-scientific nonsense that spreads like a disease. Sounds logical and like a reasoned assumption, but only looking at the sample size is enough to see that this can at best be a first tiny tiny hint. Good rule of thumb though: Nowadays the most easy answer to a complicated question is usually wrong.

Back
Top Bottom