Timmy in the box?

Wildwind

Experienced
What OD in the Axe II would be closest? I suppose Tim would be fine too, never owned one but assume they sound the same in basic mode.

I really don't know what a Timmy is - TS class or something else. I just know it sounds great with my Ethos and am trying to emulate that sound in the Axe II.

I think it would depend on how you use the Timmy/Tim. If I remember correctly, the bass and treble on those pedals are flat when fully counter clockwise and gradually cut as you turn them clockwise, boosting the mids. Hopefully I'm remembering this correctly.. So if you tend to cut some bass and treble on the Timmy, then you're bumping the mids like a tube screamer would.. to some extent. I don't remember what chip the Timmy or Tim uses- you could research that and then maybe try using the RC Booster pedal in the Axe to start with. I don't know how to mimic some of the analog pedals like the Tim that I've used for years.. just taking a guess at it for you. I find less need for something like the Tim when using the Axe FX... more so with my analog gear. Fuzzes are a different story though..

I ended up just using amp settings on the ODS-100 Lead model and nailed the tone I was after (Ethos with Wampler Ecstasy) after getting the gain stages right (Input Drive at 8.0, Overdrive at 3.0). I had them the other way around - once I made the change, it was easy to dial up the EQ to match. I did find using a Compressor block to be very effective.

Once again, I have often found little need for the OD models as the amps are just so good and have so much control. In my old life with the HD500 and other modelers, I always had to combine ODs with amp gain to get a good tone. It's nice not to have to do that, plus it's much quieter so less NG is needed.

I still plan to try to emulate the Ethos with the Timmy, just for fun. Both are great tones.

Hotplate, you are correct - Timmy has those unusual EQ knobs, but they work great. It doesn't seem as midrangey as a TS to my ears, mainly because you can easily set it up as "leave it on" pedal. I don't think a TS will let you do that.

If anyone is interested, the ODS Clean nails the clean Ethos and the ODS Mid Lead nails the Ethos overdrive tone. Using the ODS Lead model emulates the Ethos plus Ecstasy very well. I think I'm one more tweak away from perfection, though what I have is very addictive.

After Custom Tones' response to my query, I ended up marrying two IRs from the new OwnHammer Modern pack - Alnico Blue and Celestion G12-65 - and that's when it all fell into place in terms of copping the Ethos tone. Since I've never even seen a Dumble in real life and only heard recordings, it is my sole reference.

Back
Top Bottom