Timing on availability of exact specs/photos of FC-6/12

cameras capture light. a screen is pure light. compared to the hardware which isn't light, you need to balance the light coming off the screen, which is always much brighter than the hardware which isn't pure light. this means casting a ton of light onto the hardware to match the light output from the screen.

it's "dynamic range" that is needed, and while many high end cameras have around 10-14 "stops" of dynamic range - seeing dark and bright things all at once, the human eye is around 20 stops. lesser cameras only see 6-10 stops. so our eyes can balance dark/light much better than cameras can. not to mention our brain interprets things dynamically wayyyy faster than a camera can, determining WHAT to focus on and fill in the gaps from previously seen images.

try taking a picture of a room with a tv in it, or your desk with a computer screen glowing, the axe front panel, etc. this is a common thing with photography of anything with a bright screen. if there's not an overwhelming amount of ambient light to balance with the bright screen, you have to choose to expose for the screen or the hardware.

oh well, i was gonna share some photos, but they aren't good enough :D

A very subtle way of taking the p&%s I supposed I asked for it ......

I finally put my Axe III rig together today. Out-1 to FOH. Out-2 to a lovely Class D amp, and on to a Z-Best cabinet of two vintage JBL D120 8-ohms wired in parallel to 4-ohm. I modified Preset 09 to At Fillmore East specs, and saved it somewhere up in the 300’s. All I need now is the FC-12, and this puppy will be lighting up the stage. I’m not rushing anyone. Please take your time and make it perfect. This thread is about FC timing (and specs).

I want my
I want my
I want my FAS FC

Very nice! And a great price. Can’t wait to see the 12. That’s the one I want.
I don't know how that's a great price when compared to the MFC-101. $500 for a 6 button switch that is so much less useful than the $750 21 button MFC. Even if you can change the layouts of the FC, you have to do a ridiculous amount of tap dancing to do what 1 layout used to do. I cant say for sure, but they also seem to have less internal technology as all the programming is done from the Axe FX and they removed MIDI but somehow they cost more for less. The only real addition to the unit itself is the changeable scripts. Even if the new FCs are more functional, they are a huge disappointment in size and price. Maybe there are other reasons for the cost, but this just sucks. Hopefully a competitor will come out with a better switching unit with a justifiable price.

I don't know how that's a great price when compared to the MFC-101. $500 for a 6 button switch that is so much less useful than the $750 21 button MFC. Even if you can change the layouts of the FC, you have to do a ridiculous amount of tap dancing to do what 1 layout used to do. I cant say for sure, but they also seem to have less internal technology as all the programming is done from the Axe FX and they removed MIDI but somehow they cost more for less. The only real addition to the unit itself is the changeable scripts. Even if the new FCs are more functional, they are a huge disappointment in size and price. Maybe there are other reasons for the cost, but this just sucks. Hopefully a competitor will come out with a better switching unit with a justifiable price.
it's not only about "how many things" a unit can do. a $2 four-color pen "does more" than a $20 high-end black pen, but writing with the more expensive pen yields better results.

if you don't want that better experience, then you aren't forced to get the FCs. but you haven't used one, and don't know its capabilities. the fact that the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit will program the unit is a positive, not a negative.

you can get the MMGT controller from RJM that starts at $1299 for a 10 switch version, all the way up to $1899 for a 22 switch version. wait, only 4 more switches for $800 more? those are expensive switches at $200 each! it's just a controller too, it should only cost $250! :D

if you need the capabilities of an MFC-101, then use that. if you want the capabilities of the FC, then get that. being disappointed with number of switches or similar things are fair opinions, but judging it without knowing what it actually does yet doesn't seem accurate.

it's not only about "how many things" a unit can do. a $2 4-color pen "does more" than a $20 high-end black pen, but writing with the more expensive pen yields better results.

if you don't want that better experience, then you aren't forced to get the FCs. but you haven't used one, and don't know its capabilities. the fact that the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit will program the unit is a positive, not a negative.

you can get the MMGT controller from RJM that starts at $1299 for a 10 switch version, all the way up to $1899 for a 22 switch version. wait, only 4 more switches for $800 more? those are expensive switches at $200 each! it's just a controller too, it should only cost $250! :D

if you need the capabilities of an MFC-101, then use that. if you want the capabilities of the FC, then get that. being disappointed with number of switches or similar things are fair opinions, but judging it without knowing what it actually does yet doesn't seem accurate.

Im with you 100% that its better that the axe fx does the programming, and I love that aspect. My point is that less circuitry should cost less, but of course there are the programmable tags which Im sure added to the price tag quite a bit. Honestly, Im just going to be angry about the situation until a bigger unit comes out- and I know Im not the only one. Ive heard lots of people say the same thing. It doesn't make ANY sense to me whatsoever why they would completely abandon the larger size, especially for an axe FX that is capable of even more now. It's not my company, but in my opinion, it would have been a better business move to come out with an 18 switch version as kind of the flagship and 6 and 12 version to appease the people that wanted a more compact footswitch. Ive heard a few times that there were tons of people saying they would rather have smaller footswitches than the full size, and in the few years that Ive been on the page, I cant recall ever hearing that once or anyone really complaining about the size. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I don't recall it. Whether its my right to be or not, Im going to feel slighted by the company about this until they release a full size footswitch or a competitor comes out with a full functional larger footswitch.

Im with you 100% that its better that the axe fx does the programming, and I love that aspect. My point is that less circuitry should cost less, but of course there are the programmable tags which Im sure added to the price tag quite a bit. Honestly, Im just going to be angry about the situation until a bigger unit comes out- and I know Im not the only one. Ive heard lots of people say the same thing. It doesn't make ANY sense to me whatsoever why they would completely abandon the larger size, especially for an axe FX that is capable of even more now. It's not my company, but in my opinion, it would have been a better business move to come out with an 18 switch version as kind of the flagship and 6 and 12 version to appease the people that wanted a more compact footswitch. Ive heard a few times that there were tons of people saying they would rather have smaller footswitches than the full size, and in the few years that Ive been on the page, I cant recall ever hearing that once or anyone really complaining about the size. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I don't recall it. Whether its my right to be or not, Im going to feel slighted by the company about this until they release a full size footswitch or a competitor comes out with a full functional larger footswitch.
point taken, and well-spoken. thanks. i disagree that less circuitry should cost less, because it's not the cost of the parts itself that determines price of anything. but sure, i understand being dissatisfied with the info that's out there currently.

a larger full function switch is already available - the RJM Mastermind GT series i referenced in my previous post. you can buy it in 10, 16, or 22 switch versions. i owned a 16 a few years ago and it was amazing. but they are expensive. many touring professionals use it for their rigs (Petrucci, Taylor York of Paramore, Schon, Joe Trohman of Fall Out Boy, to name a few).

If y'all can't get past the bitch-and-moan phase I'm shutting down this thread too. We get it; you're salty. Go dilute in a hot bath.

Consider this the one warning you're going to get for this thread.

point taken, and well-spoken. thanks. i disagree that less circuitry should cost less, because it's not the cost of the parts itself that determines price of anything. but sure, i understand being dissatisfied with the info that's out there currently.

a larger full function switch is already available - the RJM Mastermind GT series i referenced in my previous post. you can buy it in 10, 16, or 22 switch versions. i owned a 16 a few years ago and it was amazing. but they are expensive. many touring professionals use it for their rigs (Petrucci, Taylor York of Paramore, Schon, Joe Trohman of Fall Out Boy, to name a few).

The issue with using another switch like the mastermind is that it wont utilize the proprietary software that fractal does and wont have the same functionality. We'll see what the future holds though, I really hope they meet this part of the market that's asking for the bigger switch. I could just get the 12 and 6 and chain them together, but it would suck super bad to have to have a separate power supply for a daisy chained footswitch and to also have 3 feet wide of footswitch. Those are both huge minuses.

If y'all can't get past the bitch-and-moan phase I'm shutting down this thread too. We get it; you're salty. Go dilute in a hot bath.

Consider this the one warning you're going to get for this thread.

From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely do not care if you shut this thread down. If I had the capabilities I would do it for you.

Pics look good ! ( except the ones @Rex took with that lousy consumer grade camera. )

I've read thru a pile of pages to get to where I can learn something.....lol.
Kinda feels like I'm on a long school bus. Cliff is driving , Matt is behind him , and the first 2 rows after , are filled with the Mod Squad. The air conditioner only works off the dash , and the rest of the bus is sweltering. Cliff is comfortable , the Mod Squad is doing fine , and rest of the team is pissing and moaning cause nobody will share the "cool air".

2 "kids" got kicked off already. 2 more got threatening. It's been a long ride with all these unruly bastards in the back , but I'm hanging on , waiting for those glorious new COOL FCs to hit the back of the bus.
....I can barely see the road from the heat coming off

For my needs, it’ll be perfect and at a perfect price point for me.

Last edited:
The issue with using another switch like the mastermind is that it wont utilize the proprietary software that fractal does and wont have the same functionality.

It's my understanding that once Ron at RJM gets the information needed, the Mastermind's will be fully compatible with the III and there shouldn't be anything it couldn't do that the FC's can. It'll just use a different software editor.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

MFC 101. Mostly using it to engage the looper, or engage one or two effects per preset. Playing at home. I welcome the simplicity of the new FC. Nows a good time. Going with the mini.

Unless I dreamt it I think Ron at RJM announced yesterday he was working on it now the MIDI specs are out

I kind of wish they would have gone with three rows of switches for the FC-12 so it wasn’t so wide, but it is what it is. Still can’t wait to get one! :cool:

I kind of wish they would have gone with three rows of switches for the FC-12 so it wasn’t so wide, but it is what it is. Still can’t wait to get one! :cool:
I though the same thing too until I started testing it. Many over time have reported they do not like stepping up to a 3rd row or more on other controllers, so this makes sense. Sure some do like it though.

Back
Top Bottom