Timeout and Freezing Issue

Brad Wilson

Hi guys,
I've searched around, but haven't really had much luck. I have a couple months off from gigs so I figured now is a good time to ask/get service if needed.
On Saturday I was playing a show with my Axe FX II MK1, I went through all my normal setup like I've done for the past 3 years of using it. We started soundcheck and all was great, for about 15 minutes. All of a sudden my Axe wouldn't react with the MFC-101 (mark 3 with adapter to use FASLINK if that matters), it was just stuck on one patch. I went over to the unit and the input LEDs were stuck. So I turned the whole thing off and back on, when it booted up it was just a blank green screen with all the LEDs light up on the front. I turned it off and waited a few minutes and booted it back up, worked for a little while and the same thing happened. At this point we were done soundchecking and just waiting to go on, so I get on here and search around, someone had success by changing the MFC from Axe FX II mode to Ultra and back, which I did, and it worked perfectly the rest of the night.

My biggest concern is that it's going to happen again and the mode switch was just a band-aid. Has anyone run into this? Is this a sign of something bad going to happen? Thanks in advance!

Hi Brad
My configuration is the same as yours, Axe FXII MKI, MFC-101 MKIII, XA-1 FASLINK™ Adapter, and from time to time it got these timeout and freezing issue too. All is build into a rack, so usually i don´t have to plug the cat5 cable.
What helps everytime (for me) is shutting down, reset all the cables (XLR, Cat5) and start again, sometimes i must repeat it. After that it runs flawless.
I´ve tried more than 10 different cat5 cables, which all work well in an ethernet situation, but only one of them is running.
Overall i fear its not really a bulletproof solution.
I remember that some forum members suggested to go back to midi-connection for gigging, and so do i.

Hi Brad
My configuration is the same as yours, Axe FXII MKI, MFC-101 MKIII, XA-1 FASLINK™ Adapter, and from time to time it got these timeout and freezing issue too. All is build into a rack, so usually i don´t have to plug the cat5 cable.
What helps everytime (for me) is shutting down, reset all the cables (XLR, Cat5) and start again, sometimes i must repeat it. After that it runs flawless.
I´ve tried more than 10 different cat5 cables, which all work well in an ethernet situation, but only one of them is running.
Overall i fear its not really a bulletproof solution.
I remember that some forum members suggested to go back to midi-connection for gigging, and so do i.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this issue, I should have mentioned I get the "AXE FX NAME TIMEOUT" on the MFC as well, I thought I did, but I didn't. That's my fear too is it not being bulletproof. I have my cat-5 and the adapter racked up with a 3u vented panel under my IO panel, I might have to use a different panel on the back.

Back
Top Bottom