Time to throw in the towel...

Cab sims are OFF, I'm not using an FRFR or going through the PA..

I've just created a new patch using a JCM800 as a base instead of a Friedman.. I know it's only at home levels, but I've tweaked it while sitting on the floor right in front of the speaker. Doesn't look like I can get a room on my own this week so next band rehearsal on Monday will be my next chance to test it again, hen I have a gig on Saturday after that for a proper test, I guess that will be make or break for me. I've got a lot of things to think about, Cab placement being a big one, not sure if I should raise it up on my flight case, or just have it vertical on the floor.

The new preset seems to be a bit fluddy/strange sounding on the low E and A strings when palm muting, not sure why but maybe some volume will fix that, or does anyone have any ideas why it might be like that?

place the cab in exactly the same location and orientation / position that you did to create the preset

If your preset is flubby (which is what I'm assuming you meant) you can bring up the low cut in the amp block until it starts to go away, but you should try it up at volume first.

And yes, replicate your position the exact same way you did it this time. Otherwise you're just pissing in the wind, my friend. Remember that as each variable changes from location to location, you're dealing with another opportunity to change your sound. Try and limit this to the best of your ability.

Cab sims are OFF, I'm not using an FRFR or going through the PA..

I've just created a new patch using a JCM800 as a base instead of a Friedman.. I know it's only at home levels, but I've tweaked it while sitting on the floor right in front of the speaker. Doesn't look like I can get a room on my own this week so next band rehearsal on Monday will be my next chance to test it again, hen I have a gig on Saturday after that for a proper test, I guess that will be make or break for me. I've got a lot of things to think about, Cab placement being a big one, not sure if I should raise it up on my flight case, or just have it vertical on the floor.

The new preset seems to be a bit fluddy/strange sounding on the low E and A strings when palm muting, not sure why but maybe some volume will fix that, or does anyone have any ideas why it might be like that?

Yeah, cab placement is just as much of a big deal whether you are using an Axe FX or something with valves in. When in FRFR mode, my patches are dialled in with my wedge on a pole, which means they translate well to FOH. In a rehearsal, I put my cab on the floor for a change and suddenly it sounded awful: Purely due to the massive amount of bass being added in. Dialling back the bass fixed it, but it shows the difference.

Regarding the flubbyness: Dial back the Bass / increase Presence would be two ways to start looking at this. You are right in that it may well go away by itself when you are at rehearsal volumes: Trying to get rid of it now may mean your tone is so bright at rehearsal that it cuts your head off :)

I've tweaked it while sitting on the floor right in front of the speaker.

Unless you plan to always play/gig while sitting in front of the speaker, tweaking your tone that way is a mistake.

Listener's who are not directly in front of your speaker will hear a much darker sound than you.

You need to learn to split the difference, the way I described it in my earlier post in this thread.
If the problems of guitar speaker directivity (i.e. the fact that on-axis listeners hear a bright sound and off-axis listerners hear a darker tone) are unacceptable to you then you'll have to join the FRFR folks and use the system that has the most spread.

Recap:
Most guitar players set up and tweak so they hear the pleasing off-axis tone from their guitar cabinets.
Too far off-axis is no good either though.
Try tweaking your tone with the same type of spatial orientation you'd have between your ears and a combo amp if the amp was on the floor and your were right in front of it (just a few feet) sitting on a chair, not standing.
Your head and your ears will be at about a 45º angle to the cab.
You want as many listeners in your audience to hear that same off-axis sound that you hear, as much as it is possible to arrange for that.
And you have to learn to live with the fact that people whose ears are unavoidably on-axis with your guitar speakers will hear a much brighter tone.

And all of this has nothing to do with the Axe-FX.
These problems are universal for guitarists using any amplification system that uses guitar speakers.
That's one of the biggest reasons why so many of us are so eager to get into FRFR, because it doesn't have those problems.

Just an update on this after Saturday night's Gig.

I set my rig up using my FRFR cabinet, but during soundcheck I hated it.. shrill, lifeless and seemed very directional, you could feel all of the sound coming from just 1 side of the stage, even at the back of the pub. It's not a good setup, so I blame it on the speaker/cab. I had time before the start of the gig (we went on later than I expected) so I replaced it with my 2x12 cab again, but this time rather than sitting it on the flightcase, I put it on the floor vertically. MUCH better than the FRFR so I was a lot happier with the tone, especially when on stage. I didn't get a good chance to soundcheck with this setup but I did manage to do a few riffs while out in the crowd before we went on and it sounded good, the bass was there as expected and it sounded fuller than the last gig I did with it. I can only put this down to having it on the floor rather than raised on the flightcase, together with my tweaked patch. So, all in all, I was happy on Saturday and had a great gig, it gives you a lot more confidence when you are happy with your sound, plus there was a good crowd in as well.

Next gig is on Friday so I'll try the same setup and hopefully get the same tone and felling. If I do then I'm a happy boy and will likely keep my AxeFX II for the foreseeable future.

Fingers crossed for Friday night.

Thanks to all those on here who helped me out with advice and assistance.. I'm not out of the woods.. but i can see the edge :)

Need to resist buying a Matrix N12 cab now....

....What is the worst that can happen?

I buy one, set it up, hate the sound so have a terrible gig. The rest of the band realise how crap i sounded and at the worry of all our other gigs getting cancelled, they Fire me. I then go into a downward spiral of drugs and depression and end up jumping off the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle.

:D

Why resist, just go with the feeling. What is the worst that can happen?

I buy one, set it up, hate the sound so have a terrible gig. The rest of the band realise how crap i sounded and at the worry of all our other gigs getting cancelled, they Fire me. I then go into a downward spiral of drugs and depression and end up jumping off the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle.

Yeah, but apart from that, what is the worst that can happen? :D

Don't do that. Get on the Metro down to Tynemouth, a dip in the North Sea will be far more invigorating :D

The Tyne Bridge isn't the worst bridge you can jump off of.

FWIW,

I use the Mackie 450 as a monitor on stage. Typically in front of me as a wedge and on some venues behind and just to the side and upright.

But I'm a FRFR guy....I tweak using them at stage volume. Been working great for me.

Back
Top Bottom