Time to say goodbye to the tubes...

PB26

So I received my AX-8 a couple days ago and today was the first chance I've had to get to the rehearsal studio and let it rip at volume through a powered FRFR monitor. I can't believe I'm actually saying this but I honestly believe the tube amp has become obsolete, or very close to it.

I own, or have previously owned: Dual Rectifier, Savage 120, Powerball II, Iommi GH100TI, Ironball, EVH 5150 III, and a couple Marshalls. It absolutely boggles my mind what the AX8 accomplishes. I felt like I was flipping back and forth between my tube amps when I was sampling the factory presets, which really are exceptional out of the box. I made a couple of my own presets and was surprised how easy it was. The whole "Fractals are way too complicated" just doesn't hold water when you have AX8-Edit. It's as easy as anything else out there. I also bought some aftermarket Metallica tone-match presets, which are pretty good, but I actually like the factory ones and my own much more.

I was worried that if the Fractal was lacking in any area, it would be low-end oomph. That concern was quickly dispelled today. That thick, wall shaking chug was bang on. I can't believe that a little featherlight box and a 12" PA speaker can cause that much havoc!

One thing I noticed is the lack of significant ear fatigue with the AX8 + FRFR. The 100 watt monster tube amps with a 4x12 sound great, but only for 5 minutes, given the volume you need to run them at to get good tone. Then your ears are shot. I found that even high-end molded ear plugs caused the tone to lose its "in the room" fullness, so why bother with those massive amps if you lose that? With the AX8, I was playing for about 2.5 hours with the monitor pointed right up at my head, and my ears felt great afterwards. It was quite loud and very wide and full sounding, just not ear-splitting loud like a 100 watt tube amp running at 12 o'clock.

I feel like this technology has solved a lot of problems tone hounds have always grappled with and have had to compromise their way around. I no longer feel like I need to make any compromises. I imagine it will only get better when my RCF NX12 shows up.

It's also nice that the company really has their stuff together. I had a bit of a glitch when putting my order though, and out of the blue on a Sunday night I was getting CS from a gent named Mark. Nice to know that emails will not fall into a black hole if something goes wrong.

I LOVE Fractal but will never say goodbye to my tube amps. I have many primo amps and love them. I can see how others could live on an Ax8 alone though and be completely fulfilled for life :) Eric

I get it, but for me the issue with tube amps is volume. I've tried attenuators, ear plugs, you name it. Everything I've tried has a significantly negative impact on the tone.

...out of the blue on a Sunday night I was getting CS from a gent named Mark. Nice to know that emails will not fall into a black hole if something goes wrong.
@Mark Day is a class act. Always helpful. You should check out some of his videos. :)

For the VH critics, this is NOT an attempt at "The Brown Sound" it's just me goofing around complete with my own original mistakes.

Quantum 5.00

Preset Here: Scene1 rhythm, scene3 Solo
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4856

I get it, but for me the issue with tube amps is volume. I've tried attenuators, ear plugs, you name it. Everything I've tried has a significantly negative impact on the tone.

If you have volume issues, yes the AX8 is the ultimate for sure. I haven't had volume issues since I lived in an apt in 1987, and never have the issues with my band venues or at home so I'm lucky.. . I take that back , I guess now I kinda sorta have them at home sometimes! lol .

Eric

I held on to my half stacks for about a year after getting the AX8 and then realized they sat collecting dust for that year. Never touched them once. So, I sold them. Don’t miss them at all. But, I might pick up a small 50 watt amp like an EVH or the 15 watt lunchbox amp just to have. Doubt I would ever use it though. I went full Fractal!
B0650E11-E013-4363-ABE8-DAA004AF4744.jpeg

I have been considering selling my Mesa Roadster. It is/was may dream amp. If I sell the amp, I plan on buying a clean power amp so I can run my AX8 through my guitar cab (a highly modified Carvin 4x12). I doubt I'll ever sell the 4x12. Not because of any sentimental value or anything like that. But because of the way I rebuilt it, it performs as well as any Mesa, Orange, or Marshall cabinet... but its a Carvin and the amount for which I would be able to sell it is far too low for how good a cabinet it is. And, every blue moon or so, I really like jamming with friends through a 4x12.

But the amp... I keep dreaming of flipping that amp into a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

I had the advantage of being overseas when the ax8 came out, so I had already sold off all my heads, kept a Vader cab in storage and was using a PodHD for the longest time, then was one of the first on the ax8 waitlist I think. That said, when I finally came home, I went straight out and bought an Engl 840/50 to run it through. I played with that for a couple months, and just last week found a decent deal on a gt1000fx and snagged that. NOW I think I'm pretty much done with tube amps. I still have some more a/b comparisons to do, and I still have to see how the gt1000 sits against my bandmates MkIV, but I'm pretty sure its gonna be fine.

Now, the jump from that stack to an FRFR setup...thats a different ordeal. I really want to try it, I just really can't afford to and I don't really see the point given its just me and another dude basically playing in a garage for the time being.

Definitely awesome that modeling has come this far. Its pretty incredible.

Just sold off my last tube amp as well. Don't see myself going back any time soon. Fractal + FRFR is just so much more flexible and convenient. So many awesome tones at any volume. With a baby in the house now, it's just more practical for me. My days of rattling the walls in my house are pretty much gone (until I teach the kid to play too :D).

There isn't a tube to be found anywhere in my music room. No regrets. And this from a guy who had a Friedman BE-100 and Mesa Mark V 25 in the same room not too long ago.

I wish I would have kept my 2ch Rev G Tri-rec, but not because of the tone. They were just built so damn well, and I had it recapped with F&Ts, plus I got a crazy good deal on it.

Back
Top Bottom