Time to retire the AX8

SteveD61

Inspired
Hey Guys,

I've been a loyal fan of Fractal for many years and love my AX8, but it's really showing it's age now and I've decided to move to a Helix. The lack of ongoing support for the AX8 from Fractal, and the form factor of the FM3 (who thought 3 switches suited gigging guitarists!!!!) have helped make my decision.

I will say that Fractal still have the best Amp simulations on their newer units, but the Helix has a much better user interface (but not the full "Tweekability" of the AX8) and is still fully supported by Line 6. Their Amp models have also improved with firmware updates and are not a long way behind Fractal now. I'm sure I'll be shot down here, but so be it.

Am I the only one that absolutely hated the Helix interface? Honestly, the Axfx3 made alot more sense to me. Then I got a dedicated laptop and axedit... now it's super easy. I don't get it.
No, you’re not the only one....although we seem to be a minority. The whole getting on your hands and knees and touching the foot-switches with your fingers never seemed that clever to me.... and other things....

I’ll just say that both have pros and cons, but I prefer the Axe way of doing it.

Am I the only one that absolutely hated the Helix interface? Honestly, the Axfx3 made alot more sense to me. Then I got a dedicated laptop and axedit... now it's super easy. I don't get it.

I played around with a Helix for a few days and didn't see what was so special about the UI (amp modeling not too hot either imo). A laptop with Axe Edit Is hard to beat. I have owned many Fractal units over the years and always use the editors pretty much exclusively..because they always work so well... except of course for a few small tweaks here and there on the device itself

I got a Stomp when they came out to compare Helix tones to my AX8 and really wasn't impressed, thought the amp modelling in the Atomic stuff was better than the Helix despite being impressed with the form factor. Neither sounded as good as the AX8

I recently got another to compare it to my III and FM3, still don't think despite the Helix genuinely improving it's as good as the AX8 was let alone the current generation of Fractal units

At the end of the day if the Helix does it for you then all the power to you. But it amazes me what switching options and configurations I can get with a bit of imagination out of my FC6 and even the FM3 on it's own

Reactions: JTI
Love my Ax8, just ordered an FM3 and thinking Ax8 will be for my live rig (in very humid and sandy CR) and keep the FM3 for studio use. In this climate pretty much need a live rig and studio rig.

Last edited:
I just bought a second AX8 as a backup (switched from gigging my 2 Axe FXs to the AX8 this year). Thing is a beast and sounds as good as anything out there, including the AF3- like they say about guitars sounding good, it's all in the fingers (and ears, tweaking is an art not all can master easily).

Much sympathy to the original post above. I have felt the same. I even bought a Helix Floor - love the layout with the included expression pedal. ALL IN ONE EASY SET UP. However, I got the Helix home and could not get the same kind of quality tone - I returned it. However, that was before the 3.0 firmware and I am hearing they made improvements.

I know different people want, need, like, different options. No problem. I think if there were a way to get a FM3 a FC6 and an expression pedal all neatly fit on to an easy to set up pedal board I may be tempted a bit more.

I still love my AX8, and just playing it last night, there are some great tones in it for me. But I keep feeling I am being left behind with newer updates.

Everyone has an opinion and just because it differs from your own doesn't make them wrong. However, complaining about the lack of support for a discontinued product just isn't logical. Bemoaning the FM3s three footswitches without trying it doesn't make sense either. I've used the Helix floor and HX Stomp, there's nothing the FM3 can't do live with its three footswitches than could be done with the Helix. The HX functionality is incredibly limited, not really a fair comparison to the FM3, which in reality are the most related as far as products go.

Those on the fence about the FM3 but feel the three switches won't work, remember that an external dual footswitch pedal can be added which drastically changes what can be done without needing much additional space.

When I gigged with the AX8 I only used one to three switches per song. Always wonder what songs/set lists other musicians are playing that the need for rows and rows of switches are necessary.

With the FM3 "(who thought 3 switches suited gigging guitarists!!!!)" from the three switches I have six scenes available on the first view. With a proper layout you have multiple switches available with just a click/hold.

Either way, enjoy the Helix and keep on ROCKIN'!!!

When I gigged with the AX8 I only used one to three switches per song. Always wonder what songs/set lists other musicians are playing that the need for rows and rows of switches are necessary.

With the FM3 "(who thought 3 switches suited gigging guitarists!!!!)" from the three switches I have six scenes available on the first view. With a proper layout you have multiple switches available with just a click/hold.

Either way, enjoy the Helix and keep on ROCKIN'!!!
Not everyone wants to use the scene approach. Many prefer the pedalboard approach.

Back
Top Bottom