Time to retire the AX8

I went from the AX8 to the FM3. Couldn't wait to go back to the AX8 (and that is what I did). FM3 sounded incredible but for some reason I just bonded with the AX8 better. Helix was too big and didn't sound nearly as good. Will use this AX8 till it dies I guess!

Last edited:
I have AX8 and FM3. On stage, however, I returned to the AX8. It is much more convenient to use. I am waiting stubbornly for FM8.
Unless Quad Cortex comes out of infancy early on.

Last edited:
I have AX8 and FM3. On stage, however, I returned to the AX8. It is much more convenient to use. I am waiting stubbornly for FM8.
Unless Quad Cortex comes out of infancy early on.
I sympathize to a degree. The AX8 has a slight edge in ergonomics over the FM3+FC6 because of the extra travel distance between the FM3 and FC6 switches. It's the only thing that bothers me about the FM3, and I've adapted.

We now have three guys at church that are using the AX8 instead of FM3 or Helix. I use my AX* for acoustic, electric and bass. All three sound great through FOH.

I posted on this thread back in June and I see the thread has been resurrected. I will add an update.

I previously was getting frustrated with my AX8 and being left behind, so I had bought a Helix because I loved all the buttons, layout, squibbles, plus an expression pedal all in one easy to carry and set up unit. But after purchase I was not happy with the Helix tones compared to the AX8, so I returned it. Since then I have investigated the Headrush, Quad Core, Boss GT1000, and see the Helix has come out with an update on their firmware. But every time I plug back into the AX8 I like it. Soooooooooooooo....

All of those options, except the Quad Core, have been on the market for several years, thus I am thinking a new generation of floor pedals may be on the horizon in the future, maybe even Fractal with an AX8 style floor board with more CPU??? So I have decided to wait it out. My AX8 still functions like a tank, never had an issue with it other than its obsolescence. ;-)

Every company is getting better. But I do have a warm spot for Fractal cuz i have been with them since the days of Ultra.

I posted on this thread back in June and I see the thread has been resurrected. I will add an update.

I previously was getting frustrated with my AX8 and being left behind, so I had bought a Helix because I loved all the buttons, layout, squibbles, plus an expression pedal all in one easy to carry and set up unit. But after purchase I was not happy with the Helix tones compared to the AX8, so I returned it. Since then I have investigated the Headrush, Quad Core, Boss GT1000, and see the Helix has come out with an update on their firmware. But every time I plug back into the AX8 I like it. Soooooooooooooo....

All of those options, except the Quad Core, have been on the market for several years, thus I am thinking a new generation of floor pedals may be on the horizon in the future, maybe even Fractal with an AX8 style floor board with more CPU??? So I have decided to wait it out. My AX8 still functions like a tank, never had an issue with it other than its obsolescence. ;-)

Every company is getting better. But I do have a warm spot for Fractal cuz i have been with them since the days of Ultra.
This is exactly my experience and exactly what I am doing right now. AX8 to GT-1000 to Helix to FM3 and back to the AX8 (which feels most like home and sounds best). Sticking with the AX8 until I can go with a Quad Cortex whenever the AX8 dies.

Last edited:
I’m probably in the minority on this board but I have both Helix and FM3 and like both equally for different reasons. I had AX8 for a couple years too. Helix is easier to use and I really like the integrated switches. Having fewer models to me makes for less option paralysis. It does sound different though, sometimes you miss the detail and thump of the Fractal and especially for 80s studio rack stuff. FM3 is limiting with three switches and the interface is a bit clunky but way better than AX8 still. Tons of options and really rich sounding amps and effects.

For pure sound I give it to the Fractal but could use either happily. If I were gigging I’d probably start with the Helix for ability to tweak on the fly and switching flexibility. But adding an FC6 would make the FM3 very versatile.

yup, on the list. Glad I waited. I almost purchased a Headrush floor last week. I look forward to notices that people have received a notice to purchase the FM9...... anyone yet?

Back
Top Bottom