Time to leave Pro Tools. What would be a good replacement?

I ended up buying Logic as well as Cubase Pro. These have been doing what I need to do. I also have Cakewalk and Reaper. I think I am all good for the foreseeable future.

The reason for Cubase Pro is that it runs on both Mac and PC. Reaper does that as well. When I am on my Mac, I am in Logic at this point.

I ended up buying Logic as well as Cubase Pro. These have been doing what I need to do. I also have Cakewalk and Reaper. I think I am all good for the foreseeable future.

The reason for Cubase Pro is that it runs on both Mac and PC. Reaper does that as well. When I am on my Mac, I am in Logic at this point.
Out of curiosity, why Cubase as well?

Out of curiosity, why Cubase as well?
I wanted something that runs on both Mac and Windows. That was one of the things I liked about Pro Tools. When my Mac ages out, if I don't feel like spending that much money on replacing it, I can move over to Windows and not miss a beat.

After Apple acquired EMagic, Steve Jobs was given a demo of Logic. He was famously appalled by what he saw. Over the years, Apple has made strides to improve it, and it is definitely better (The single window design that DP now uses was copied from Logic.) But Logic was a mature product when Apple acquired it, so there's only so much that can be done.
Gerhard and team have set a consistently high bar within Apple for engineering excellence and innovation for decades.

I won't sling mud or insider ball, but take a look at the evolution of other Apple pro apps and/or app suites and compare.

There are many great teams at Apple doing stellar work. I'd rank Dr. Lengeling and crew very highly among them.

I wanted something that runs on both Mac and Windows. That was one of the things I liked about Pro Tools. When my Mac ages out, if I don't feel like spending that much money on replacing it, I can move over to Windows and not miss a beat.
okay, that makes sense. I typically get at least10+ years out of a well spec'd Mac, before performance takes a hit. No problems along the way either.

okay, that makes sense. I typically get at least10+ years out of a well spec'd Mac, before performance takes a hit. No problems along the way either.
Mine is currently 8 years old. I haven't had any issues but am trying to position myself the best I can for the future.

Claims to have data from a lot of pros...

Given the stated caveat for #1, I still maintain that the best is Ableton Live.

He sent an ad to a couple of thousand people on facebook who claim to be musicians asking them what DAW they liked. I'd be surprised if he got more than a few dozen replies :).

Trying to do these youtube DAW comparison videos is a fool's errand. Who has the time or inclination to learn a dozen DAWs in depth and assess which one is best for one person's needs? As you can see from the video, he clearly didn't spend the time to master these DAWs.

Most people use what they know. When they started, they started using what their friends know. After that, if somebody learns about a compelling feature they like in an another DAW, they might consider switching. Otherwise, most people get on with making music instead of worrying about their choice.

Most people use what they know. When they started, they started using what their friends know. After that, if somebody learns about a compelling feature they like in an another DAW, they might consider switching. Otherwise, most people get on with making music instead of worrying about their choice.
+1 on this. Basically I use Cubase because it came bundled with my first Audio Interface years ago and I just stuck with it. I’ve messed with others like Ableton Live and it has its unique purpose. There are few things that I do like about Cubase that I believe are better for me than other DAW’s. I really like the different levels and the upgrade paths they offer. Once you’re in the Steinberg loop the cost is minimal if you take advantage of their specials. Cubase 12 has some really nice features. I was able to upgrade for free through the grace period. Of course the midi drum editing is great and It comes with a decent set of quality Plugins. I’m mostly a Windows PC guy so that plays a part, but there’s another advantage. From I have read the Mac version of Cubase is as stable as the Windows. So if Apple does draw me over I will be able to seamlessly switch.

I despise the subscription/cloud trend that has taken over the software world. I hope Steinberg never goes down that road.

Reading through this it is amazing all the stable choices we have now. I think back to the mid 90’s and all the wonky things to jump through if you were doing DAW on a budget…LOL.

Cakewalk! It's an incredible DAW that is constantly updated and it's FREE!!!

That! Sometimes there is not need to spend money to get the best. Unfortunately, in English the word "expensive" also means "valuable" or "premium", and some associate "cheap" or "free" with the opposite :D

Last edited:
I suggest REAPER...
Fast, low resources needed, good algorithms, cheap, customizable
I also have Logic on my MAC and prefer Reaper. (Use it on Windows Recording Laptop and MAC Mini)
You can try it for free 90 days as I remember with all features.

Given the stated caveat for #1, I still maintain that the best is Ableton Live.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about his top 2 in this list but from the research I did, these are more geared towards loops and the types of music that use a lot of loops like Rap.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about his top 2 in this list but from the research I did, these are more geared towards loops and the types of music that use a lot of loops like Rap.
That works out really well for me so that nobody ever discovers what an incredible tool Ableton is for all kinds of jazz that doesn't sound like it is looping (even though it is in very sophisticated ways). And if it can do that, it can literally support ANY kind of music making and recording. But Shhhhhhh... I really, really don't want anyone to know. ;)

Love them or hate them its industry standard and their algorithms sound more clear and big than all other daws. it has a fuller bottom end too.

I happen to be an Avid fanboi and for many other great reasons.

Avid is industry standard period. that goes for both audio and video too.

I am also very lucky to have bought the last perpetual upgrade the week before they did this all by fluke. :laughing:

Okay, I’m likely gonna be the odd one out, but I have been working in Samplitude for years and in my experience that has been a stable, reliable DAW in Windows. I really like how intuitive editing the wav-files works. Also it connects really well with any of my outboard gear, including several interfaces.

Back
Top Bottom