Time to leave Pro Tools. What would be a good replacement?

Love them or hate them its industry standard and their algorithms sound more clear and big than all other daws. it has a fuller bottom end too.

I happen to be an Avid fanboi and for many other great reasons.

Avid is industry standard period. that goes for both audio and video too.

I am also very lucky to have bought the last perpetual upgrade the week before they did this all by fluke. :laughing:
I used Protools for half a year,

Avid is great at emptying ones bank account. Congrats Avid! And your new "$ubscription model."

He sent an ad to a couple of thousand people on facebook who claim to be musicians asking them what DAW they liked. I'd be surprised if he got more than a few dozen replies :).

Trying to do these youtube DAW comparison videos is a fool's errand. Who has the time or inclination to learn a dozen DAWs in depth and assess which one is best for one person's needs? As you can see from the video, he clearly didn't spend the time to master these DAWs.

Most people use what they know. When they started, they started using what their friends know. After that, if somebody learns about a compelling feature they like in an another DAW, they might consider switching. Otherwise, most people get on with making music instead of worrying about their choice.
I thought the Tascam Model 12 looked silly when it came out...

Hearing a lot of great recordings with it on Youtube lately....

I've been using Pro Tools for over 25 years now, so switching for me is not an option. I just don't want to, or have time to learn a new DAW.
PT was at the time, the most intuitive platform having come from audio engineering in the analogue days.
Like here, their forum has a lot of very knowledgeable people willing to help and that has also kept me in the PT fold.

I've spent many many years on Avids DUC Forum and that's where I learnt all I know about PT, including how to build a dedicated PT DAW as it is well known to be a finicky beast. PT has always run best on a dedicated computer with proprietary interface/s and nothing else getting in its way. That in itself has been enough to turn a lot of people away, especially hobbyists IMO.

I avoided Avids rip off subscription model by staying on PTHD 11. It still does everything I need it to do both in a professional and personal capacity. It's been running stable on Windows with no problems since PT 10 (when it went to 64bit).

I recently built a new Windows computer beast (my 3rd) in the 25 years I've been using PT. My latest build has facilitated it to run even better. So overall, it's been a relatively cheap option for me if the amount of money earned & time I've been using it is taken into consideration.

Having said that, it took a long time to get the best out of PT and again I think that is where folks get fed up with its idiosyncrasies. I'm sure I've lost a fair amount of hair 'getting it right'.

If I were starting out today, I'd avoid PT simply because Avid is such a terrible example of a company. They don't give a rats about their low end users.
I think it fair to say they really only give real consideration to the high end market and even then they take far too long to implement new ideas and fix bugs...unlike their competition.

Last edited:
Studio pro Is actually good as well, Its given me the least problems from all other #2 backup daws i gave used. i have to use that because Access never made their virus plugin AAX so its either pro tools 10 on a different machine or Studio pro for me when i use that Virus control with the synth.

Reaper: Just finished my 60 day trial and am interested in purchasing it but (1) I don't know what Fastspring is, the site for purchasing the software license, and (2) You get free upgrades to 7.99 but it is currently on 6.64. So it seems as though buying late in the version life cycle means you get less time for the $60. I emailed Reaper to ask about these questions and they never responded.

Any thoughts?

Reaper: Just finished my 60 day trial and am interested in purchasing it but (1) I don't know what Fastspring is, the site for purchasing the software license, and (2) You get free upgrades to 7.99 but it is currently on 6.64. So it seems as though buying late in the version life cycle means you get less time for the $60. I emailed Reaper to ask about these questions and they never responded.

Any thoughts?
My understanding is that once you pay the $60 you get all future releases as part of that. I purchased it early this year. I didn't see anything then about only getting a specific number of versions.

My understanding is that once you pay the $60 you get all future releases as part of that. I purchased it early this year. I didn't see anything then about only getting a specific number of versions.
This is from the Reaper.fm website:
Purchase a REAPER License
A new license includes free upgrades through REAPER version 7.99. There is only one version of REAPER. The license price depends on how you use it.

Any thoughts?
Fastspring is an eCommerce platform.

Yes, if you buy version 6 you get all of version 6 and all of version 7. If you wait until 7.00 comes out, you'll get all of 7 and all off 8. If you check out the dates on their old release notes, you'll see just how long that is.

It's $60 for non-commercial and $200 for commercial. It's significantly cheaper than anything else that's even remotely as good. And complaining that it's not even more ridiculously cheap seems a bit...short-sighted...to me.

Your comments about Avid’s care for customers are spot on. Never will a dollar of mine end up in their accounts (last was about 10 years ago). I realized then, they do not give a flying fuck about their customers- just their balance sheet. Pity.
Thanks
Pauly

I've been using Pro Tools for over 25 years now, so switching for me is not an option. I just don't want to, or have time to learn a new DAW.
PT was at the time, the most intuitive platform having come from audio engineering in the analogue days.
Like here, their forum has a lot of very knowledgeable people willing to help and that has also kept me in the PT fold.

I've spent many many years on Avids DUC Forum and that's where I learnt all I know about PT, including how to build a dedicated PT DAW as it is well known to be a finicky beast. PT has always run best on a dedicated computer with proprietary interface/s and nothing else getting in its way. That in itself has been enough to turn a lot of people away, especially hobbyists IMO.

I avoided Avids rip off subscription model by staying on PTHD 11. It still does everything I need it to do both in a professional and personal capacity. It's been running stable on Windows with no problems since PT 10 (when it went to 64bit).

I recently built a new Windows computer beast (my 3rd) in the 25 years I've been using PT. My latest build has facilitated it to run even better. So overall, it's been a relatively cheap option for me if the amount of money earned & time I've been using it is taken into consideration.

Having said that, it took a long time to get the best out of PT and again I think that is where folks get fed up with its idiosyncrasies. I'm sure I've lost a fair amount of hair 'getting it right'.

If I were starting out today, I'd avoid PT simply because Avid is such a terrible example of a company. They don't give a rats about their low end users.
I think it fair to say they really only give real consideration to the high end market and even then they take far too long to implement new ideas and fix bugs...unlike their competition.

Fastspring is an eCommerce platform.

Yes, if you buy version 6 you get all of version 6 and all of version 7. If you wait until 7.00 comes out, you'll get all of 7 and all off 8. If you check out the dates on their old release notes, you'll see just how long that is.

It's $60 for non-commercial and $200 for commercial. It's significantly cheaper than anything else that's even remotely as good. And complaining that it's not even more ridiculously cheap seems a bit...short-sighted...to me.
Not complaining about the cost, that seems more than fair to me. My complaint is that the $60 wouldn't go as long before having to pay again if we are close to the end of the version 6.x lifecycle. Also my complaint is that they give an email for questions, but didn't respond.

Like most have said here, Logic is a great choice. Another great option is Ableton. I use 3 daws depending on what I am doing. I used to use Logic more at the start, and I really like the ease of recording live instruments. I then got into producing beats and learning how to mix in Ableton. I also use FL studio for producing beats, but don't like the workflow for mixing. So I would build my tracks in FL and them import them into Ableton to mix. Ableton to me has the best workflow, I now use it for recording my live instruments as well.

Back
Top Bottom