Time to ditch my real (somewhat rare) cabs? (Ax8 and CLR influence...)

A Mesa Boogie Mark-seriesamp into a 80's Boogie EV-loaded half-back was my sound for many, many years. The halfback cabs aren't easy to come by. Once the AxeFX came out I ditched the boogie head and it has been AxeFX controlled a LF Pro+ controller and through a QSC PLX1804 SS poweramp into the Boogie 4x12 cab. But the rig is still HEAVY (rack is probably 60lbs, and cab is 110b) so it sits in the home studio most of the time.

I have a AxeFX that stays permanently hooked up in the studio, and another AxeFX in a rack for the live rig. For smaller live applications, I have a Orange 212 and Boogie Thiel EV loaded 1x12.

I'm playing solely out of the AxeFX's these days and no regrets there, but interested in getting a more transportable and flexible rig for taking to one-time jams with others and double purposing as a flexible live rig. I'm on the waitlist for an AX8, and pairing that with two Atomic Neo CLRs intrigues me. I like that the CLRs could be used for vocals, bass applications, and turned around as a PA and the Ax8+CLR is a nice transportable rig.

What are other's thoughts on getting rid of the second AxeFX, Boogie 4x12 & 1x12 cabs, and SS power amp and replacing with the Ax8 + two CLR (and occasionally still externally controlled by the LF Pro+ for more controllability than the Ax8 can do natively)? Anyone with a pair of CLRs missing their old 4x12 rig? I finding it hard to swallow getting rid of something so special and fairly rare, but also trying to not keep around dead weight as technology has improved. Need opinions from other perspectives.

I have the 80's Boogie 4x12 with EV's and Boogie Theile 1x12's.
They all collect dust since I've gone FRFR.
(I have a CLR, XiTone and RCF NX.....no shortage of options)
I would gladly take any one of my FRFR's instead of the Boogies....I just keep them for the hell of it.

Back
Top Bottom