Time spent playing guitar vs time spent learning/tweaking AXEFX

vejichan

Inspired
From the time you got a Fractal to know how much time do you spend Learning/tweaking/learning/reading about the unit vs the time you spend actually playing the guitar.

From the time you got a Fractal to know how much time do you spend Learning/tweaking/learning/reading about the unit vs the time you spend actually playing the guitar
At first I spent a lot of time learning
And setting up things like templates
And library but these days not much tweaking I have a kitchen sink preset that has my 8 amps etc
Occasionally I will check out new amps models or new drives
But I still generally have my mainstays depending on the guitars

I know you can go down the rabbit hole tweaking/learning about the axefx. It's fun because you are learning about something you enjoy but does it take away the time you spent playing/learning to improve on the guitar instead? I am guilty of investing more time learning/tweaking/buying gear than actually learning/playing guitar. Mainly because i dont have my guitar with me all the time and groupes/forums/tweaking axefx can be done all on your computer/laptop.

Since I got mine its been 99% tweaking and 1% guitar.... I have a serious problem

As long as it’s time doing something you enjoy, it’s time we’ll spent

I enjoy the gear and the process as much as playing and that is fine. I’m not trying to be in a band, make a hit record etc, just a middle aged guy enjoying a hobby in my spare time, so there are no rules about how much time I need to spend playing, practicing etc.

For me the learning never stops. I'm always finding new things, either on my own or on various forums. Not taking advantage of the possibilities of the Axe is wasting a huge part of its utility.

Obviously, you don't have to tweak if you don't want to.

I upgraded from FM3 to Axe...but I still use the same preset I made with the FM3 as my main tone.

From time to time I need different sounds for different productions, and I always get great results with factory presets.

I have 4 main presets that I practice with. I may tweak between firmware updates but mostly just play.
Every now and again I go down the rabbit hole and that’s just as fun. I discovered the FAS Buttury that way and now I have 5 main presets.

Mainly because i dont have my guitar with me all the time and groupes/forums/tweaking axefx can be done all on your computer/laptop.

Where are you that you have your Axe FX and a computer but no guitar?

If spending too much time tweaking and not enough playing, maybe bring the guitar into that room...

I spent a lot of time tweaking until I got "my sound", and now I pretty much stick with my presets. I check out new stuff in the firmware releases, but I mostly just turn it on and play now. The hardest thing was figuring out what to use for amplification.

Back
Top Bottom