Time for Fractal to go native

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why because now we can't go to the Fractal Store and demo all the fractal products in person?

Since we're stuck at home we just have to watch youtube and make a $2000-2500 purchase just on internet research?

Like the last 10 years?

There's really no way to protect the IP if you ship software. Someone will just fire up IDA disassembler and rip you off in a few days. So, not gonna happen. Same reason why lots of stuff is moving to the cloud nowadays: it's easier to sell that way.

They had a version of the Axe-FX software running on PC ages ago but wouldn't release it for piracy concerns. Can't blame them there.

https://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/cliff-chase-interview-fractal-audio/

Cliff: "We have a working PC version. The only reason we haven’t released it is the piracy issues. If someone were to pirate it, it could have a detrimental effect on sales. So I’m not sure that’s something that we want to do right now. Unless we can guarantee that the product can’t be pirated, I don’t know that we want to release it. "

Is this guy talking about making VST plug ins instead of a physical unit - like COMPLETE digital, no hardware, just PC?

You’re out of your gourd for thinking that’s even slightly possible , especially to maintain quality standards across the board
(even Cliff can’t make sure your PC/settings/DAW will accomodate it, despite having a “PC version” a decade ago)

In fact, why do you think all other modelers and devices these days all compete, compare and fall short of the only gold standard left in the guitar world (axe 3)

Terrible idea - absolutely terrible

Obviously, Cliff could release a native version if he wanted to, but why? First, that market is a lot more competitive. The hardware market is not as competitive as the native market since entry is limited to those few developers who have the ability and resources to build a hardware unit. The native market on the other hand has relatively few entry barriers. Consequently, there are a lot of products in the native market you'd have to go up against. And, with that much competition, it's sometimes not enough to have the best product to succeed.

Second, as others have mentioned, is the piracy issue. There have been success stories. Cubase Pro, for example. But, it's still a concern for anybody considering getting into this business. I suspect the purpose of the reverb plugin was to test the piracy issue. And, there was indeed an ilok problem after it was released. I'm guessing that ilok problem with the reverb plugin probably sealed the fate of a native AxeFX.

There may still be a native amp modeling product from Fractal some day, but if it sees the light of day, I'd guess it would be a limited modeler that bears little resemblance to an AxeFX.

They had a version of the Axe-FX software running on PC ages ago but wouldn't release it for piracy concerns. Can't blame them there.

https://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/cliff-chase-interview-fractal-audio/

Cliff: "We have a working PC version. The only reason we haven’t released it is the piracy issues. If someone were to pirate it, it could have a detrimental effect on sales. So I’m not sure that’s something that we want to do right now. Unless we can guarantee that the product can’t be pirated, I don’t know that we want to release it. "
Well, just use Ilok.

I suspect the purpose of the reverb plugin was to test the piracy issue. And, there was indeed an ilok problem after it was released.

Yeah it didn't help that the reverb plugin tanked. Wasn't a demo, iLok only and was $300 initially. Has been permanently on-sale for $80 for years. I think it sounds great and I don't regret the purchase (wish it had an extra ilok activation) but it there's just so much competition in the plugin space already. Hell, Mikko just released a free amp modeler the other day so that doesn't help the situation. I imagine that Fractal is just gonna stick to higher end solutions, cornering the best-of-the-best market and letting everyone else fight in the plugin market.

Come on you're not going to tell me Fractal wouldn't be making tons of cash if they released a VST/Plugin version of their products, especially NOW that many people would avoid spending money on super expensive non-essential items on top of that add the problem many people face nowadays in terms of logistics/oil prices, all sales from physical units will be affected ON TOP OF THAAAAAT add the fact that many people left their units in their studios and can't pick them up lmao. ON TOP OF THAAAAT. add the fact that Softube just released a super cool JCM800 VST unit with the bloody Marshall logo on it, ON TOP OF THAAT the fact that only shredders need zero latency and they're just a small group of unsuccessful pricks, most people would do more than fine with some latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom