Time for a new audio interface?

Got the RME Babyface Pro about a year ago, and I really like it. No hiccups at all -- no driver issues, no unplug and plug, no frozen/laggy mixer software, etc., it just works every damn time. I can't say that about any other audio interfaces I've used, and I've gone through several... :p

I don't get people who have problems with stuff. The Pro 14 has been rock solid for 5 years or more now. Across multiple OS upgrades too. And it's even running off a janky 2-adapter cable setup to go from Thunderbolt on the iMac to FireWire on the Pro 14. :D

I don't get people who have problems with stuff. The Pro 14 has been rock solid for 5 years or more now. Across multiple OS upgrades too. And it's even running off a janky 2-adapter cable setup to go from Thunderbolt on the iMac to FireWire on the Pro 14. :D
Windows... :D

My trusty old Presonus Pro 14 is now EOL. It's already unsupported on the latest Win10 build and Catalina will be the end of the line for it on the Mac.

I'm tempted to go back to Apogee and get a used Quartet -- the double digital inputs on it mean I could run the AFIII and FM3 in on digital at the same time. BUT last time I invested in an Apogee box, and original Duet, they EOL'ed 18 months later and I felt a little a burned by that experience.

I do have an X-Air 18 sitting around now that the band is defunct, but the software-only interface feels like it'll bug me. I kind of like being at to twist a dial at the desk to make the speakers louder and quieter.

So, what's the advice here Fractalites? I'm thinking $800 or less. It needs to support monitoring an FM3 and an AFIII at the same time -- so at least 4 inputs -- but I don't mind if it's analog in to do that. Bonus if it works on macOS and Win10, but macOS is what I need more than Win10.

Should I invest in the Quartet? Try and find something from RME? Maybe a used Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII? Other? Let's here it!
Universal audio anything is rock solid

I guess my original Duet EOLed so quickly because FireWire was dying?
yes. Apple got rid of firewire so they had to go usb. I had a duet at the time and I upgraded it to the duet 2 for $350 ( if I recall correctly). I was not happy either and I switched to some other interface that ended up sucking so...I caved and used my upgrade coupon and got the duet 2. I used it a lot with the axe8 but now that I have the Axe III, not so much.

Got the XR-18 set up and honestly if it had a physical knob for the mains volume it'd be just aces. I may look into some way to add a physical knob on the mains output, something that'd sit between it and the Tannoys.

Got the XR-18 set up and honestly if it had a physical knob for the mains volume it'd be just aces. I may look into some way to add a physical knob on the mains output, something that'd sit between it and the Tannoys.
Oh it has a headphone volume knob already, nice. Always wondered why those mixers don't get used more often as audio interfaces.

I ended up ordering the MONITOR2USB to give me a big...ahem...knob to twist that controls the monitor levels.

Maybe it's all in my head, by the XR-18 sounds worlds more detailed through my Tannoys than the Pro 14 ever sounded. Like...night and day different ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll have to look into a Lehle A/B box now @yek -- being able to flip between Fractal units with a box would be very, very nice.

Why not just use Axe Fx III? You can run FM 3 into it with spdif, then get a badass mono or stereo preamp to go into Axe Fx III. Otherwise you’re doing extra ad/da conversation with one unit or other into interface likely.

Why not just use Axe Fx III? You can run FM 3 into it with spdif, then get a badass mono or stereo preamp to go into Axe Fx III. Otherwise you’re doing extra ad/da conversation with one unit or other into interface likely.
My Axe-Fx III isn't always beside my computer. And not readily accesssed for level adjustments when it is. But solid idea.

My Axe-Fx III isn't always beside my computer. And not readily accesssed for level adjustments when it is. But solid idea.
Now I’m not sure my idea would work. Looks like spdif has to come into input one which means you couldn’t route FM 3 digitally through Axe III without killing guitar input of III. I’d be curious if I’m missing something in routing options. It’s too bad if you can’t if that’s true.

Now I’m not sure my idea would work. Looks like spdif has to come into input one which means you couldn’t route FM 3 digitally through Axe III without killing guitar input of III. I’d be curious if I’m missing something in routing options. It’s too bad if you can’t if that’s true.
You can do it just with with IN2 and the analog outputs from the FM3. But not with SPDIF I/O.

I'm usually pro buy-it-for-life. But the Halo is so far beyond my needs and at such a premium price it's not likely I'll buy one. Beautiful box, though.
Understood. I found a ULN2 for $600 years ago. 2 analog preamps/inputs with physical inserts, AES & spdif in/out, other digital in/out. With so much gear in digital realm, fewer analog channels are needed. What I love about MH is the box doesn’t go EOL; you simply install new digital internals. For me, buying a box once is better than dealing with EOLs.

I'm still loving my Roland UA-101, "Honeymoon still on" I have two of them and I'm stalking Reverb to see if anyone is letting them go but do not see any.. Think that kind of answers the question the right?

I've made myself one of these (see below), well worth it. Basically leave my interface (RME Fireface 400, still going strong!) up full blast and use a knob to control level to powered monitors. Works a treat.

https://www.audiotechnology.com/tutorials/on-the-bench-diy-monitor-controller

You get a used Steinberg UR28M for ca. $250. It's kind of a combined audio interface and monitor controller. It has everything you need and want, sounds good and is rock solid. You might definitely want to check it out. Steinberg does not produce it anymore, but it is USB and very likely to be supported for many more years.

Pro 40 plus pair of dongles here too. Hoping to get at least another year or 2 before updating. I Haven't upgraded to Catalina, I'm worried my out of support pro tools will die an expensive death that pushes me to a subscription or a new daw.

Back
Top Bottom