Time for a new audio interface?

iaresee

Administrator
My trusty old Presonus Pro 14 is now EOL. It's already unsupported on the latest Win10 build and Catalina will be the end of the line for it on the Mac.

I'm tempted to go back to Apogee and get a used Quartet -- the double digital inputs on it mean I could run the AFIII and FM3 in on digital at the same time. BUT last time I invested in an Apogee box, and original Duet, they EOL'ed 18 months later and I felt a little a burned by that experience.

I do have an X-Air 18 sitting around now that the band is defunct, but the software-only interface feels like it'll bug me. I kind of like being at to twist a dial at the desk to make the speakers louder and quieter.

So, what's the advice here Fractalites? I'm thinking $800 or less. It needs to support monitoring an FM3 and an AFIII at the same time -- so at least 4 inputs -- but I don't mind if it's analog in to do that. Bonus if it works on macOS and Win10, but macOS is what I need more than Win10.

Should I invest in the Quartet? Try and find something from RME? Maybe a used Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII? Other? Let's here it!

Last edited:
What's the interface for, what should it do?
Good questions. It's mainly going to mix computer audio and audio from the Fractal gear down and into either my monitors or my headphones. I don't generally record mic'ed sounds so I don't need the most amazing preamps every known to audio engineering. If I'm recording guitars, 99.999% of the time I'm just using the Fractal gear as the interface in the DAW.

But: it'd be nice to have at least one mic pre just in case I want to record a scratch vocal take or two.

I like the idea of bringing the Fractal gear to it via digital outputs. But that means it'll need to support 48 kHz.

I have a strong preference for tactile controls over headphone and monitor volume. Both volume up/down and dim/mute I prefer to be on something I can put my hand on.

Can be USB (2 or 3) or USB-C/Thunderbolt. Firewire seems long in the tooth now.

Reactions: yek
USB Audio is also digital I/O. You don't need an interface for that.
You can have a dedicated headphones level control, if you use OUT 2 for main, and OUT 1 for headphones.
Almost seems you don't really need an audio interface, but a mixer instead. :)

The way I do it at home, without an interface:
  • My two CLRs have two inputs, which I use to connect to the III's and FM3's output (OUT 1).
  • Between the III resp. the FM3 and the CLRs, I've placed an A-designs ATTY. This lets me mute the sound of either device to the CLRs, but I can still use the headphones output on the III and control its level with the physical OUT 1 knob (not using headphones with the FM3).
  • I can record / reamp through USB Audio.
P.S. I plug my guitars in a Little Lehle II, for easy switching between III and FM3.

I really like my Focusrite Clarrett 4 Pre. The option for SPID/IF is really handy since I can use that to get digital audio from the Fractal without having to switch to a separate interface. Four mic pre's is overkill for me since I never use more than 2 inputs at a time but the 2Pre didn't have SPID/IF or separate line inputs. Better too many inputs than not enough, I guess. And there's plenty of routing options through Focusrite Control.

If you want endless support and no end-of-life, Metric Halo is the way to go. Save up and watch for used boxes. If you can find used with 3D upgrade or get used for bargain and install the upgrade it sounds great.

I think they’ve been supporting their 2882 box for twenty years.

boxes also show up regularly on their mail list (scroll down on this page and subscribe).
https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/community.html

They’re the Fractal of interfaces. Great company.

I have a Saffire i've been using for a few years but thinking of a new interface as well; likely by end of the year. I'm really thinking going the Apollo route.

If you want endless support and no end-of-life, Metric Halo is the way to go. Save up and watch for used boxes. If you can find used with 3D upgrade or get used for bargain and install the upgrade it sounds great.

I think they’ve been supporting their 2882 box for twenty years.

boxes also show up regularly on their mail list (scroll down on this page and subscribe).
https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/community.html

They’re the Fractal of interfaces. Great company.
+1000 on Metric Halo! Great company & great interfaces!

I have a Duet 2 that is like 7 years old and it’s still supported. They rolled out Catalina drivers.

I'd probably go for a UAD Apollo X4. Great specs, great form factor (desktop), SPDIF, 4 inputs (cheaper than a Halo with 2 inputs).
Hey Yek, do you ever use the realtime plugins while playing with Axe FX for extra flavors/tones? what i'm thinking of doing; yes i know with eq's/tweaking etc etc you can achieve similar results but part of the UAD ecosystem that appeals to me is this. Just for my own enjoyment while playing not to mention the wicked converters in the Apollos.

RME fireface UC still going strong here. As its an older interface, relative to other options, may be worth looking at their newest offerings. But, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy this interface. I got it as I had a UAD, but I can't say I'm too fond of their plugins. It's great quality, but I was unhappy with the expense of their plugins and the limited DSP vs Slate/Plugin Alliance running native. I am in the minority though as most who go UAD are trying to utilize their plugins.. I am not an iLok fan, so having plugins that rely on an interface is just a scaled up version of that frustration (for me). RME also has some fantastic driver support, all in-house and my interface works fantastic on both Windows and Mac.

If you want endless support and no end-of-life, Metric Halo is the way to go.
I'm usually pro buy-it-for-life. But the Halo is so far beyond my needs and at such a premium price it's not likely I'll buy one. Beautiful box, though.

This actually looks like a small upgrade on the Pro 14 that's going EOL on me. Can't really complain about the Pro 14 -- it's been solid. This might be a nice price-feature sweet spot.

The software suite they include is pretty handy too. Did you mean Focusrite Saffire Pro 14? Because the Clarrett pres are definitely an upgrade from that.

I'm just going to pop the XR-18 out of the flight case and see if I can live without a physical knob for the mains level. I'll monitor the Fractal stuff via the analog inputs.

Got the RME Babyface Pro about a year ago, and I really like it. No hiccups at all -- no driver issues, no unplug and plug, no frozen/laggy mixer software, etc., it just works every damn time. I can't say that about any other audio interfaces I've used, and I've gone through several... :p

I don't understand Metric Halo's lower tier offerings, as the specs aren't impressive and the price is massive. I guess it's cus of the DSP stuff..?

Did you mean Focusrite Saffire Pro 14? Because the Clarrett pres are definitely an upgrade from that.
Yea. I don't really use the Pres on the Pro 14 so I can't comment on them. I just flip the Fractal stuff between the one SPDIF input now. That's a PIA for A/B'ing though so that's why I was thinking 4 analog ins would be better.

Back
Top Bottom