Time-Aligned USB Digital Re-Amping w/ Logic Pro

blearyeyes

Inspired
TIME-ALIGNED USB BASED DIGITAL RE-AMPING w/ AFX-FX II Quantum 10.x
(maybe AXE-FXlll) and APPLE LOGIC X PRO 10.4.1 OSX High Sierra.
download PDF of tutorial:
http://www.shattuckelectronics.com/pics/REAMPING.pdf

Create an Aggregate Device using the Audio MIDI Setup app found in the Utilities folder on your MAC.
Instructions here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Make sure you add your audio interface first and the AxeFX second. One gotcha regarding Aggregate devices is you have no control over how channels are assigned by core audio other than the order in which you add your devices to the aggregate.. Pay attention so core audio doesn’t re-assign your interface and your AXE I/Os to different channels from what you’re used to as they show up in logic the way they show in Audio MIDI setup.

I use a Focusrite 18i8. When added to the aggregate first, inputs 1-18 are assigned to channels 1-18 in core audio which show up as input channels 1-18 in logic. Outputs 1-8 show up as outputs 1-8. The Axe FX is added second and remaining input channels 19-20 and 21-22 are auto-assigned. They’re the two stereo outputs (4 channels total) from the AXE which carry the Direct and Effected signals into core audio and show up as input channels in Logic. The remaining outputs are auto-assigned to 9-10 and go out to the AXE USB input.

Audio Midi setup example.png

Last edited:
I renamed the I/O labels in Logic:
Use the main pull down menu: MIX then select I/O Labels. Rename them to be able to find them easily when assigning them later to tracks.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 4.51.02 PM.png

Disregard the highlighted output 7-8.

Last edited:
Plug your guitar into the Axe FX Analog input. Set the MAIN INPUT SOURCE on the AXE to ANALOG (IN 1) under menu item: I/O / AUDIO / MAIN INPUT SOURCE / ANALOG (IN 1)

You will be switching this I/O menu setting between your guitar (analog in) to record the initial tracks, and your DAW (USB) while re-amping. That is another gotcha. If you forget to change your AXE’s input to match what you are doing, you won’t get signal from your guitar (analog in) or from the computer (USB) for re-amping. Did that a lot…

Next in Logic create two stereo guitar tracks. Assign inputs 19-20 (Substitute AXE processed inputs on yours) to the first and 21-22 (Substitute AXE Direct) to the next. I set the AXE Direct track to No output so it doesn’t play into my monitors. Monitor the processed signal from the other track while recording.

Record both direct and if you want to, processed guitar tracks. Don’t worry about the sound of the processed signal as you are going to re-amp and can tweak the sound later. I consider the original processed guitar a scratch track.

Last edited:
Here’s the meat and potatoes part.

Logic has a plug-in called I/O. It is located in the Utility section of the audio plug-in menu. It’s designed for incorporating outboard gear into your set-up. It can measure latency and apply compensation for it. Go figure.

Create an new aux track.

Assign the I/O plug-in on the Aux.

blank I:O.png

Here’s where labeling your I/Os pays off.

On the plug-in, set the output to go to your AXE (in my case outputs 9-10) Logic adds my new label [TO AXE]
Set the input to the processed signal from your AXE (in my case 19-20) Labeled [AXFX]
These are in the ins and outs that were assigned in the Aggregate you created.
Dry/wet to 100%
In and out Levels 0db.
Save your plug-in settings as a preset: “AXE FX ll I/O” for later use.
i:o settings.png

On the AUX track, set the input and output to a couple of available busses.

You’re going to use these busses to send from the recorded direct track to the AUX, and receive, from the AUX, the processed signal to your re-amp track.

I used 31 and 32. Once again I re-labeled these REA 1 (in to the aux) and REA 2 (out of the aux)

Depending on how Logic is set, when you assign these busses it might create new AUXs. Just delete them.

Last edited:
Back to your tracks:

Set the output of your recorded direct track to go to the AUX via the buss you assigned to the AUXs input.
In my case buss 31 [REA 1]

On the track you want to record the re-amp to, set the input to the buss coming out of the AUX.
In my case Buss 32 [REA 2]

Set the re-amp track to Record ready so you can monitor the AXE.
Play the track and make sure you’re getting signal at the AXE’s input..

You did remember to set the AXE input to USB..right?

Last edited:
If all is well go to the I/O plug-in and click on the Ping button. This sends a “ping” signal through the AXE, measures the latency and sets the Latency Offset. When you change to a different patch on the AXE just click on the ping again to set it for differing latency created by the new patch.

Last edited:
I set this up in a folder stack. I created several stereo audio tracks for recording the re-amped signal.
You can always delete what you don’t use.

Select all of your re-amp tracks and set the inputs to the buss sent from the AUX.

At this point, I renamed the tracks Git 1, Git 2, etc.

Now select all your guitar tracks, and the AUX track with the I/O plug-in, and make them into a folder stack. You can save the stack into the Library and recall it in all of it’s glory into any session with all the track routing, buss settings, the I/O plug-in etc.

I found it helpful to rename the re-amp tracks or region, the name of the patch/amp used, to keep track.

That way you can forget all this bullshit and play your guitar.

Shattuck

download PDF of tutorial:
http://www.shattuckelectronics.com/pics/REAMPING.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom