Tim Pierce Toy Matinee Video

If you're into Toy Matinee, this is so cool. Tim talks about the album and plays licks from it (looks like he's using his Axe-Fx III as well). Such killer parts.

Hmm.. Toy Matinee totally skipped my radar... Was knee deep in Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, NIN and AIC at the time I guess.

These tracks sound great.

Sonically, it's one of the best. It's my test disc for checking speakers and setups. Great sounds. It's got it all :).

I'm pretty sure I've heard "Last Plane Out" before, probably on radio at some point in 90s.

They have a really interesting sound... one foot in 80s pop, one in prog rock... lots of groove, solid musicianship all around, great harmonies and impeccable production.

Never heard of it. Checked it out. The music is a little dated and not a fan of the lead vocal, but certainly high level musicians and the mix and production are indeed awesome.

That was great, I was literally listening to the album yesterday thinking how great some of the moments on there were

Thanks for posting

The Toy Matinee album has been one of my favorites for years, and Tim has been an acquaintance for even longer. (We knew each other and both played the local bar scene before he moved to LA.) But I hadn't seen this video. Thanks for posting it.

The only reason I know about Toy Matinee is because Guy Pratt is the bass player and being the ridiculous Floyd fan I am, I went and checked out all their hired gun's projects. Guy played on a TON of stuff in the 80's/early 90's, including Madonna's "Like A Prayer" and I believe "Black Or White" by Michael Jackson. Could be wrong about the MJ song, but he had a really funny story about it involving Michael hiding under the mixing board and communicating only through the producer, who had to lean down and listen to him whisper. Every knew Michael was under the board but they all pretended he wasn't. :tearsofjoy:

Big Kevin Gilbert fan here....sure wish he was still around to gift the world with his talents.

I first heard Toy Matinee when I worked at my first record store job in Boston. The label was really pushing it and "Last Plane Out" was on the monthly in-store corporate playlist so I got a promo copy and really dug it. Wasn't til many years later when he passed away that I heard any of his other work. There's a Spock's Beard connection with him too, and I'm a huge fan of theirs because obviously WHO ISN'T.

I got into Toy Matinee during quarantine a year ago. Watched all the YouTube clips. This video was a real treat. Tim Pierce is such a tasty player, I love Kevin Gilbert’s voice and these songs are so interesting. Last Plane Out and Queen of Misery feel like songs that should have been huge.

This is quite a revelation...never heard of them before now , and it is right down my alley...
and from what I hear in my initial listening, the influence this must have had on Trey A is definitely there.

Back
Top Bottom