Tim Pierce Talks Overdrives

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all! Just finished watching this video and thought there was some great information on using overdrives. He almost lost me when explaining one of his reasons for ODs was to change gain/tone quickly in a studio environment (We have the ability to change amps just as quickly as activating a drive). Glad I didn't, some pretty cool nuggets from his approach to tone.

My biggest takeaway was his approach of finding the sweetspot of amps and pedals, then stacking drives rather than just increasing gain on an overdrive. I used this approach in a basic sense back when I had a rig with a small combo amp and multiple overdrives but never really thought about a pedal's sweetspot.

Both of those guys always make great, informative, and useful videos...always worth a watch.

I read an interview with David Gilmour years ago and that's how he said he approaches building tones; he starts with a full, rich, clean tone that he likes and starts to pile on from there with pedals.

Definitely concur that “Any amp you’re playing generally has one particular place where it sounds the best. Make peace with it.”

Back
Top Bottom