Tim Pierce Master class thoughts?

Daveis

Inspired
For those that have signed up for Tim Pierce’s Master Class, who do you think would benefit most from it? Can you compare it to say Carl Brown’s GuitarLessons365 online class. I’m a big fan of both of them. I’m an intermediate level player with a desire to learn more music theory in particular. I know both offer a free trial but curious if anyone has upped their guitar playing by taking online courses such as these.

I did some lessons with David Wallimann at Guitar Playback, and picked up some completely different ways to look at phrasing. I’d love to give Tim’s classes a try. He’s a masterful player with a continually positive and humble attitude about sharing his knowledge and experience and has a lot of instruction material available. I want to set aside some time and be serious about it, then I’m going to give his 14 day trial a go.

I‘ll be curious to see what you here from the forum!

No experience with that course, but since you specifically mentioned theory, have you checked out Rick Beato?

He's very knowledgeable in theory and other topics.

Most of the content I've seen from Tim is focused on playing techniques and guitar tones and not really much on theory.

For those that have signed up for Tim Pierce’s Master Class, who do you think would benefit most from it? Can you compare it to say Carl Brown’s GuitarLessons365 online class. I’m a big fan of both of them. I’m an intermediate level player with a desire to learn more music theory in particular. I know both offer a free trial but curious if anyone has upped their guitar playing by taking online courses such as these.

I like Carl Brown for learning songs, but was disappointed with his course. I started it thinking I'd move through things I'm weak on and see if I could gain some insights. There wasn't a ton there, and while I'd normally consider him pretty personable, the classes were really, really dry. I think I ended up subscribed to it for a few months, but cancelled.

I'll check out Tim's class.

There is so much out there. I have a friend with a pretty extensive collection of the Lick Library series. I've borrowed those at times, and also good, but I guess it comes down to the fact that I feel I have very little time to actually practice or learn anything new. Maybe someday if I can retire.

Tim is a master guitarist who can really point out the nuances of a lick or line but I think it takes a pretty experienced guitarist to benefit from his offerings. Unless things have changed, I don't think he provides much in terms of pdfs or guitar pro files. You might want to take a look at Truefire which has something to offer for every level ( their latest offering is from Joe Bonamassa ). They provide you with excellent study material in the form of pdfs, guitar pro files, backing tracks and multi-view videos. I hope one day to be at the level where I can really utilize what Tim has to offer. That said, I keep in touch with his You Tube offerings and sit there in amazement at his skill and talent.

I signed up for Tim Pierce’s class while it was on sale tonight. I’m liking it so far. I keep meaning to try something from Rick Beato but I find his knowledge a bit intimidating.

When I catch the Beato Book on sale next I’ll spring for that, too. I had been watching Brian from youtube ZombieGuitar for some approachable music theory applied to guitar.

A lot of theory stuff just goes in one ear and out the other for me. I don't know why. It usually makes sense when I watch it, but I won't remember it later. Processes of the crebs ccycle or C++ template libraries, no problem.

Anyway, I found this guys videos a while back, and they clicked. Maybe give them a try. Free.

A lot of theory stuff just goes in one ear and out the other for me. I don't know why. It usually makes sense when I watch it, but I won't remember it later. Processes of the crebs ccycle or C++ template libraries, no problem.

Anyway, I found this guys videos a while back, and they clicked. Maybe give them a try. Free.

I've seen a few of his too and I agree.

I like an online course that has an organized method that builds upon itself, with a logical flow. While Tim Pierce’s masterclass has a ton of info, it’s not really organized in a way that logically takes you from one level to another in playing skill.

I recommend checking out Paul Gilbert’s course on Artist Works. Very good and well organized. And as with anything Paul does, very entertaining. What’s really cool is you can submit videos and get feedback from Paul. He’s very encouraging toward his students. Such a nice guy.

A friend started the Paul Gilbert class and I agree it is very well organized. It builds on itself in a logical progression. He has specialized drills to improve specific mechanics.

Tim Pierce’s class is more a free form brain dump of how he approaches playing. He’ll do a short performance and then explain how he’s approaching it.

Is Truefire the best of its kind?

I have stuff from Jamtrack Central, Lick Library and Truefire. I found Truefire to have the best overall content but the Jamtrack Central Masterclasses are very good as well. Around holidays, Truefire will have $5 sales on a lot of their courses.

I like an online course that has an organized method that builds upon itself, with a logical flow. While Tim Pierce’s masterclass has a ton of info, it’s not really organized in a way that logically takes you from one level to another in playing skill.

I recommend checking out Paul Gilbert’s course on Artist Works. Very good and well organized. And as with anything Paul does, very entertaining. What’s really cool is you can submit videos and get feedback from Paul. He’s very encouraging toward his students. Such a nice guy.

A while back, someone sent me a link to the Synyster Gates school. Even if you aren't a Avenged Sevenfold fan, Gates is an amazing player. Any of the school I've seen is actually taught by his dad, but maybe he's in some of the later ones. It seems well organized.

I just looked, and maybe it's changed some:

https://synner.com/lessons

It's got absolutely the slickest interface with the lessons I've seen. You've got video which you can speed up and slow down, metronome, bunch of tools, plus, there is sheet music and tabs synchronized with the video. If there are chords involved, separate chord charts are shown. There isn't a lot of theory, but it definitely covers a lot of playing. Also free.

I subscribe to Tim’s courses. I agree that the material is a bit unorganized, but Tim may be the best teacher I’ve run across yet. The combination of deliberate, clear info, perfect execution, and positive vibe is really special. If you’re the kind of learner that picks up skills through imitation (I fall in that category) there are few players that could be more worthy of your time.

Back
Top Bottom