Ticking Noise when recording with Reaper?

spilla

Inspired
Any idea on what could be causing this ticking noise when i record the axefx 2 in reaper. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the fractal driver. Ive played with buffer settings. Ive also unplugged every usb input on my pc other than the mouse im using. I was able to record into reaper with no isssues a few months ago. Driving me crazy, planning to format windows and start fresh if i cant figure it out soon.

Example of noise uploaded to soundcloud

Thanks!

From the front panel of your AxeFX2 go to the I/O menu-> MIDI page-> Send Realtime Sysex, set it to None (chances are it's set to All right now) and see if that solves the issue.

I dealt with this issue some time ago, I use the AxeFX2 with an MFC101 so I just set it to Tuner (otherwide I would have set it to None).

Last edited:
Sorry that didn't help you mate, I hope you sort it out.

Surely, someone else will soon chime in to help you out.

Try recording straight into interface, not using Fractal USB?
Doing that would eliminate the computer and USB from the equation.

That tick is on beat.
Try different USB cable, don't cheap out, spend the $3 for the good ones : )
Try different USB inputs, USB 2 is sometimes implemented with a different controller than USB3 etc...
Maybe there is a time based block in your preset?
Try turning it off.
Is there a metronome setting turned on in reaper?
Turn it off.
Is there a fan or drum machine turned on in the house?
Fluorescent lights, ballast issues?
Condenser mic hooked up to interface with 48v turned off but still have level up?
Game controller hooked up?
USB powered dishwasher?
Audio cables parallel with power cables?

Make sure you don't cross midi cables with audio cables... And try to avoid them touching.

Try changing tempo in the Axe Fx (front panel Tempo button). If the clicks follow the tempo then it's probably some crossover interference.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards cross over interference atm. My cables are a mess atm. But i've just bought a new cab and will play with my cable layouts when i get it into position in a few days.

Try recording straight into interface, not using Fractal USB?
Doing that would eliminate the computer and USB from the equation.

That tick is on beat.
Try different USB cable, don't cheap out, spend the $3 for the good ones : )
Try different USB inputs, USB 2 is sometimes implemented with a different controller than USB3 etc...
Maybe there is a time based block in your preset?
Try turning it off.
Is there a metronome setting turned on in reaper?
Turn it off.
Is there a fan or drum machine turned on in the house?
Fluorescent lights, ballast issues?
Condenser mic hooked up to interface with 48v turned off but still have level up?
Game controller hooked up?
USB powered dishwasher?
Audio cables parallel with power cables?

As i mentioned above im leaning towards crossover interference, your right that tick is on a beat but ive gone through that list and cant find any issue. USB cable is good. This setup was working fine a while back. But that said i'll grab a new one to try.

Cheers

edit: i should also add that i changed the tempo in reaper and then in the axefx but the ticking remained the same tempo.

Last edited:
I did some cable management and the ticking noise still prevails. I've checked if dishwashers, fans, washing machine, clothes dryer was on. I even ran do a different power outlet. The only thing left to physically try is a new usb cable. I've got one way, should turn up this week .

From my googling it seems it may be a driver problem. Some people have made simlar noises go away by changing settings in reaper. I've tried all of the suggested settings but again no change. So if the new usb cable doesn't fix it i plan to format the pc. I will update if i find a fix.

Did you try adjusting the USB Buffer Size setting in the I/O menu? There's also a USB Streaming Mode setting in the FASUSBAudio Control Panel.

Back
Top Bottom