Thru-Tone Ernie Ball Expression pedal for FA gear

thrutonefx

ExpDrop.jpg

Hey guys, not looking to spam or directly sell, but over some years have seen many threads and discussions on expression pedals and the use of EB's. Unfortunately because of their design with logarithmic pots they won't function correctly nor controllably as an expression pedal.

Thru-Tone is pumped to finally release the best and only expression pedal you will ever need. The EX line offers all the benefits of the most responsive and controllable volume pedal on the market combined with our custom designed pots and user-customizable settings to match a multitude of your pedals' expression requirements. It's solid build and versatility allows you to use it with multiple pedals, types, and of course FA gear.

You can get more details at THRU-TONE FX & Modifications and if you have any questions in general with expression or our stuff feel free to ask! Thanks.

With absolutely no disrespect intended towards your work...what makes your EX-ULT (with the switch) worth paying $245 for when the extremely well regarded Mission SP-1 is $112? I realize you're taking an off the shelf product that starts out at a fairly high price and customizing it. But what would the end result do that makes it worth more than double the SP-1?

I haven't used either the Ernie Ball volume pedals or the Mission SP-1 yet (I'll be in the market for expression pedals shortly though). So I don't know anything about the responsiveness you talk about with the Ernie Ball or how it would compare to the responsiveness of the Mission. But I know the Mission seems to be the go-to solution around here.

Edit just to be clear: I really do want to emphasize that I'm not trashing what you've done. It looks like professional work. Nor am I suggesting your pricing is that out of line when considering the input cost of the EB pedal. It's simply a question about how the capabilities compare, not whether your cost and pricing structure are out of line for what you're doing.

Last edited:
No problem! You mentioned the key... The switch model pedals are def more $$ to start with let alone the ULT model requires more modifications to build, which = time. Mission stuff is great, but as many people have realized there is some limitation of use and control when using a wah style treadel due to the shallow throw and pivot location. The EB just gives a wide, very precise, and controllable range while being the smoothest and most solid pedal under your foot. As for our model, no one in the market offers all these features and versatility in one pedal. Because the switch is on the side, you don't have to alter your pedal position, taper options for maximum flexibility, polarity control so you don't have to wire any special cables and of course mode control so you don't have to buy a pedal per piece of gear. You can run the EX line with Line 6, Eventide variable resistor styles with a mono cable or with a flip of a switch control the voltage return of the more common styles like Strymon, Diamond, Boss, Dr Scientist, etc with a stereo TRS cable. Long story short is at the end of the day I am a full-time musician, so when it comes to TT the premium in price is getting the premium in design, durability, and functionality that is made for the profession musician in mind. Let me know if ya have any other questions, there has just been a lot of talk about the wants of EB's as true expression pedals and the PM-1 VPs have been so huge we wanted to give more options for more players.

Would you sell the linear pots separately? I've been trying to find drop-in replacement pots for my four VPJRs. Last time I looked, I found some hi-rel milspec pots that might be a good fit for the VPJR, but the minimum order quantity was 20 pcs as they were non-stock items.

Would you sell the linear pots separately? I've been trying to find drop-in replacement pots for my four VPJRs. Last time I looked, I found some hi-rel milspec pots that might be a good fit for the VPJR, but the minimum order quantity was 20 pcs as they were non-stock items.

Go ahead and email me, I can sell you a pot, but they aren't cheap as they are a custom part.

Great idea but I would have gone with less obtrusive switches.

If I could source short lever actuators I would, but the requirements make options limited. I can't afford thousands of 4 types of custom toggles ya know! BUT in reality they aren't that obtrusive. They maybe stick out a quarter inch from the front of the aluminum shell. Just enough to easily get your fingers on them. Of course if you dropped it on the switches they could break, but so could every knob and toggle and every single pedal. SO don't drop your expensive toys, cool!?

The more options out there the better! Welcome to the pedal wars at the FAS Forum! I will be getting another to control a whammy soon, so keep 'em coming.

No problem! You mentioned the key... The switch model pedals are def more $$ to start with let alone the ULT model requires more modifications to build, which = time. Mission stuff is great, but as many people have realized there is some limitation of use and control when using a wah style treadel due to the shallow throw and pivot location. The EB just gives a wide, very precise, and controllable range while being the smoothest and most solid pedal under your foot. As for our model, no one in the market offers all these features and versatility in one pedal. Because the switch is on the side, you don't have to alter your pedal position, taper options for maximum flexibility, polarity control so you don't have to wire any special cables and of course mode control so you don't have to buy a pedal per piece of gear. You can run the EX line with Line 6, Eventide variable resistor styles with a mono cable or with a flip of a switch control the voltage return of the more common styles like Strymon, Diamond, Boss, Dr Scientist, etc with a stereo TRS cable. Long story short is at the end of the day I am a full-time musician, so when it comes to TT the premium in price is getting the premium in design, durability, and functionality that is made for the profession musician in mind. Let me know if ya have any other questions, there has just been a lot of talk about the wants of EB's as true expression pedals and the PM-1 VPs have been so huge we wanted to give more options for more players.

Thanks for the great explanation. I hadn't thought about the Wah style travel. I've been playing an L6 Vetta with their FBV floorboard for years and haven't had a crybaby style pedal for a very long time! The pedals on the FBV aren't particularly great, but they probably are closer to the style of these. I'll definitely have to give it some thought.

How does that switch work exactly? Does it slide forward/backward? Do you just catch it with the edge of your foot? I can see the advantage in not needing to go toe down to flip the switch, but I'm not quite seeing how it works.

Appreciate the words guys! ^^^ As for the kick switch you click it to the LEFT only about a 1/4" with the side of your foot. It's a little awkward at first, but you adapt quickly.

Back
Top Bottom