Three Scenes from Two Switches

I am currently doing this with three switches on my FC6:
Switch 1 = Toggle Scene 1 & 4
Switch 2 = Toggle Scene 2 & 4
Switch 3 = Toggle Scene 3 & 4

Scene 1 = Clean
Scene 2 = Clean with an effect of choice (or any variation you are looking for)
Scene 3 = Crunch
Scene 4 = Lead

Same idea: instant access to Scenes 1-3 by just pushing its switch, and instant access to Scene 4 by pushing the active Switch (or as Admin said: turning it OFF). Then you can return to any of the first 3 Scenes from the Lead by simply pressing the corresponding Switch (1-3). Works great with minimal "cognitive load".

I have two FC6es worth of buttons to play with, so on my 'scenes' presets, I just put a button per scene. This ends up being between 2 and 5 buttons, but usually 2 or 3. My amp-demo and kitchen-sink presets usually have 4 scenes - Amp #1 & #2, then Amp #1 & #2 with a 4.5dB boost.

For any preset with less than 4 scenes, I usually have a version of it that gets both or all three sounds via an expression pedal, using @NDESMAREST's three-sounds-on-one-pedal trick. This makes for completely seamless transitions between sounds. It's all in the modifier transfer curves.... :)

I am currently doing this with three switches on my FC6:
Switch 1 = Toggle Scene 1 & 4
Switch 2 = Toggle Scene 2 & 4
Switch 3 = Toggle Scene 3 & 4

Scene 1 = Clean
Scene 2 = Clean with an effect of choice (or any variation you are looking for)
Scene 3 = Crunch
Scene 4 = Lead

Same idea: instant access to Scenes 1-3 by just pushing its switch, and instant access to Scene 4 by pushing the active Switch (or as Admin said: turning it OFF). Then you can return to any of the first 3 Scenes from the Lead by simply pressing the corresponding Switch (1-3). Works great with minimal "cognitive load".

This small tweak is fantastic! I have one layout I use for scenes. By setting up the bottom row like this, and two of the top buttons with Matt's original idea, I can now get 7 of my 8 scenes.

I've been struggling to come up with 'my' FC-6 solution. I've been searching this forum and stumbled on this thread. I get both @Admin M@ and @Randall d One is a 3 scene solution, the other is a 4 scene. Coming from an AX8, I realize I may need to eliminate the urge to try to set the FC-6 up like the AX8.....but hard:weary:

In the two above referenced set ups, I get that each of the 4 scenes are easily accessible. So I was wondering what makes the following set up a difficult thing- from a congnitive perspective?

Switch 1 = Toggle Scene 1 & 5
Switch 2 = Toggle Scene 2 & 6
Switch 4 = Toggle Scene 3 & 7
Switch 5 = Toggle Scene 4 & 8

Switches 3 & 6 on the right side are used as functions and layout jumping switches, say to jump to an effect's layout or a preset layout.

I've set this up, but so far am only using it to audition IR in the scenes, because I'm only about 10 days into ownership. It's sort of clunky for me because I've yet to commit to what my scene will be. And realistically, I'm a 4 scene guy that wants access to each effect, like a traditional pedal board. At least that's how I used my AX8 - four scenes and access to stomps or control switches.

I probably got this setup from someone else, possibly @2112 via his YT channel or somewhere. Or maybe I just went to town day one to audition.

But considering the other two ideas, how does the one I present not meet the needs of the other two? I know it's a 'whatever works for you' deal. I'm looking for what I'm missing so I can evolve into whatever works for me.

Also, I've had a difficult time finding other user's layout ideas. I've been on the search function two or three nights in a row. I've got 5 tabs open right now to browse through on the subject but I'm wondering if a thread exists of user ideas that have been somewhat vetted or slightly critiqued? It might make for a good sticky, along with @chris explanation of how he uses the FM3 (except apply to FC-6).

I have tried a setup like the above above and I am not a fan. Too much tapping and too much thinking.

A side note: firmware 12.06 (I think) will introduce VIEWS for the FC-6. This feature borrowed from the FM3 solves your problem easily. In fact you can read about it in the FC manual currently on the web site. I may even do a new set of default layouts for the FC-6 based on those from the FM3.

In the two above referenced set ups, I get that each of the 4 scenes are easily accessible. So I was wondering what makes the following set up a difficult thing- from a congnitive perspective?

Switch 1 = Toggle Scene 1 & 5
Switch 2 = Toggle Scene 2 & 6
Switch 4 = Toggle Scene 3 & 7
Switch 5 = Toggle Scene 4 & 8
The biggest challenge I see with this layout type is that you can't have (for example) direct access from scene 5 to scene 6, or from scene 1 to scene 7, etc.

I have tried a setup like the above above and I am not a fan. Too much tapping and too much thinking.

A side note: firmware 12.06 (I think) will introduce VIEWS for the FC-6. This feature borrowed from the FM3 solves your problem easily. In fact you can read about it in the FC manual currently on the web site. I may even do a new set of default layouts for the FC-6 based on those from the FM3.
Apparently added in 12.04:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-release-version-12-04.159140/post-1901363

The biggest challenge I see with this layout type is that you can't have (for example) direct access from scene 5 to scene 6, or from scene 1 to scene 7, etc.

I should add that the Hold function is what makes each switch access the 2nd level of scenes. So you can jump to any scene with either a tap or longer hold.

this sounds cool. When I read the FM3 I kept wondering where the view section is on the FC’s.
Again, the hold function was left out of my original post. Tap 1 for scene 1, Hold 1 for Scene 5

I should add that the Hold function is what makes each switch access the 2nd level of scenes. So you can jump to any scene with either a tap or longer hold.
So you're not using Scene Toggle as you listed but instead using Scene X with tap and Scene Y with hold?

That's better in one sense, but for my personal use I want immediate scene changes so wouldn't used hold for that.

But if that works for you then it's a good solution for you.

A Scene Increment +4 with wrap added to the other four scene toggles would let you switch from the lower 4 to the higher 4, in cases where you are trying to squeeze two 4-scene presets into one. May or may not help, depending....

So you're not using Scene Toggle as you listed but instead using Scene X with tap and Scene Y with hold?

That's better in one sense, but for my personal use I want immediate scene changes so wouldn't used hold for that.

But if that works for you then it's a good solution for you.

Yes. I should’ve clarified in my first post. But you’re right. The hold would be limitation unless it activated as you let off. Then you’d have greater control over timing of the change.
Again, I’m just fishing around, trying to get my head wrapped around all the possibilities before I commit to creating personalized layouts.
I’m not sure I fully understand the per preset thing. Does the button assignment ONLY apply per that preset (hence per preset”)? Still more reading to do to get up to speed.

Yes. I should’ve clarified in my first post. But you’re right. The hold would be limitation unless it activated as you let off. Then you’d have greater control over timing of the change.
Again, I’m just fishing around, trying to get my head wrapped around all the possibilities before I commit to creating personalized layouts.
I’m not sure I fully understand the per preset thing. Does the button assignment ONLY apply per that preset (hence per preset”)? Still more reading to do to get up to speed.
You assign a Placeholder to the switch. that’s the switch assignment.

From there, if a preset has a function assigned to that placeholder, that function will appear on the switch.

If the preset does not have a function assigned to that placeholder, there will be no function there.

Assign the function in the Per-Preset menu (press knob D from home screen). Assign the placeholder itself in the usual FC setup areas.

I have what might be a dumb question, but I've spent a good deal of time trying to find the answer, searching the forums and reading the manual:

Can you switch between two effects using the tap/hold function of one foot switch? For example, I have a delay1 assigned to a foot switch and want to long tap to a plex delay, and have the delay1 block turn off.

So far I'm guessing that this has to be same effect and switching channel. OR create a control switch?

I have what might be a dumb question, but I've spent a good deal of time trying to find the answer, searching the forums and reading the manual:

Can you switch between two effects using the tap/hold function of one foot switch? For example, I have a delay1 assigned to a foot switch and want to long tap to a plex delay, and have the delay1 block turn off.

So far I'm guessing that this has to be same effect and switching channel. OR create a control switch?
Hold functions do not affect tap functions.

do you ALWAYS want the delay 1 to turn of when engaging the Plex? Like always always?

Yes, those are two of the choices...

Alternately you could use scenes... Or if the effects you want can be in the same place in the signal flow you can use the Multiplexer block.

I do the latter in my presets where I have a standard Wah with a (auto-engaged) pedal controller, an Envelope controller Wah and an Envelope controlled Filter all in the same column. They are followed by a Multiplexer where I use channels A, B and C to select the line of the effect I want. Then I have a button that uses Channel Increment with a Lower Limit of A and Upper Limit of C and Wrap enabled.

I can quickly switch between these effects.

Back
Top Bottom