Three Scenes from Two Switches

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I was using the FC6 today and I devised a way to give random access to three scenes using only two footswitches.

Switch 1: SCENE TOGGLE: [1] 2
Switch 2: SCENE TOGGLE: [3] 2

Scene 1 is Crunch
Scene 2 is Clean
Scene 3 is Lead

You can do:

Clean<-->Crunch
Crunch<-->Lead
Clean<-->Lead

I recommend setting the switches to different colors.

I was using the FC6 today and I devised a way to give random access to three scenes using only two footswitches.

Scene 1 is Crunch
Scene 2 is Clean
Scene 3 is Lead

You can do:

Clean<-->Crunch
Crunch<-->Lead
Clean<-->Lead

Somebody else posted a similar solution in one of the FM3 threads a few days back...

But nice to create a thread as it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

on my fc6+axe3, i've been using 4 scenes on 2 switches.

tap toggles 1 and 2 - my clean and clean lead - which i use most often.
hold toggles 3 and 4 - crunch and gain lead - i usually step through gain stages to get to my lead eventually, so this works well. note you have to be on S3 to get to S4 with this setup, but it works for me. if i need to go from clean to gain lead, i usually have time to press and hold 2x in a row to get there.

but the 3 on 1 switch approach is smart and a quicker way to get to that lead.

I am currently using 4 switches to access all 8 scenes. I’m using it to select between 4 delay subdivisions. second press of the switch gets the same delay but with a boosted mix.
I also have the hold function set up to boost the feedback.
4 switches 12 delay sounds!

I am currently using 4 switches to access all 8 scenes.

Yes, but what's different here is that you getting RANDOM access, meaning you can go directly from any scene to any other scene.

X O = Clean
O O = Crunch
O X = Lead

Whichever switch is active, switch it off to get to the crunch.
When you want to change from Clean to Lead or Vice-Versa, click the inactive switch.

If you use this system you can think so to get one more scene regardless of the number of switches.
If you repeat this same process placing scene seven as secondary on six switches with scenes one, two, three, four, five and six you would have direct access to seven scenes with six switches.

Yes, but what's different here is that you getting RANDOM access, meaning you can go directly from any scene to any other scene.

X O = Clean
O O = Crunch
O X = Lead

When you want to change from Clean to Lead or Vice-Versa, click the inactive switch.

Not to nit-pick or be argumentative, and forgive this FX & FC padawan, and maybe I completely misunderstand what I'm reading but what you describe is NOT random it's completely deterministic. Random would imply hit a either switch and you will not be able to predict what scene will appear.

Not to nit-pick or be argumentative, and forgive this FX & FC padawan, and maybe I completely misunderstand what I'm reading but what you describe is NOT random it's completely deterministic. Random would imply hit a either switch and you will not be able to predict what scene will appear.
“the process of transferring information to or from memory in which every memory location can be accessed directly rather than being accessed in a fixed sequence.”

definition of random access for how Matt is using the term here. Kind of confusing if you’ve never been a computer/software nerd. Just means that you can access any of the three scenes regardless of which scene is currently selected. This is an improvement from the II/mfc setup because you could only use 1/2 toggle, rather than being able to select which scene you toggle back to. Unless I’m missing something about the mfc functionality.

definitely will be using this trick when I can eventuallyget my hands on a iii

Reactions: Rex
“the process of transferring information to or from memory in which every memory location can be accessed directly rather than being accessed in a fixed sequence.”

definition of random access for how Matt is using the term here. Kind of confusing if you’ve never been a computer/software nerd. Just means that you can access any of the three scenes regardless of which scene is currently selected. This is an improvement from the II/mfc setup because you could only use 1/2 toggle, rather than being able to select which scene you toggle back to. Unless I’m missing something about the mfc functionality.

definitely will be using this trick when I can eventuallyget my hands on a iii
This. It's random access as opposed to sequential access. You're free to choose the next scene at random.

OK the phrase "RANDOM access" as it would be used in "RAM" as opposed to random as in "stochastic:" "having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analyzed statistically but may not be predicted precisely. Being a lowly mathematician I wouldn't know the former from the latter ;)

Scene 1 is Crunch
Scene 2 is Clean
Scene 3 is Lead

You can do:

Clean<-->Crunch
Crunch<-->Lead
Clean<-->Lead

Thats very cool as is your Baba preset
You should do more presets as time permits
Something like this setup in particular
Would be very handy to have as a factory preset when FM3 is released

Basic 3 channel Amp 2 switches
Its would be a very useful template
For new users :)

Reactions: JTI

X O = Clean
O O = Crunch
O X = Lead

I don't yet have my FX/FC, but if I understand it correctly, it seems like it might take you a couple of times to get this. The thing is the cognitive load to think about what you want before you hit it before it becomes natural. Granted, that's what practice is for (we talking about practice?).

Personally speaking, I need the lowest cognitive load on stage!

I use a very similar setup that I think presents less of a "cognitive load":
Switch 1: Scene Toggle 1 and 3
Switch 2: Scene Toggle 2 and 3

Scene 1 = Clean
Scene 2 = Crunch
Scene 3 = Lead

Just press Switch 2 to switch from Clean to Crunch, or Switch 1 to switch from Crunch to Clean
This way from either Scene, you just push that Switch again to get Lead, and then from Lead press Switch 1 to get to Clean, or Switch 2 to get to Crunch. This makes more sense to the way my brain works. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom