Three Guitars at Once?

MiahMW

Hi all! I'm brand new to the world of Axe FX, but I've been watching and studying info on it (and other processors) for a while now. I was told this is the place to go for this question, so I apologize ahead of time if the answer is super obvious. Again, I'm brand new to this.

I'm wanting my five piece Speed-Metal band's rig to go full-digital and pedal-free. I'm wanting to utilize the Axe FX 3 for my three guitarists (two Guitarists who share dual rhythms and leads, and one bassist). We would utilize a Cymatic Audio LP-16 Live Player to handle automatic midi switches. Not that we would have many, as we're just straight forward Speed-Metal. The only sound changes we would have is switching a rhythm tone to a lead tone and virtual capo for the songs that require it. Yes, we don't want to switch out guitars mid-show either, so we REALLY want the virtual capo to be our answer for that.

The big question is, can the Axe FX 3 handle it all? Can you indeed, plug two guitarists and one bassist into a single Axe FX 3? And if so, could it process them all? Along with just not knowing for sure if it can take three axes at once, that CPU cap has truly been a big reason for us holding out and not taking the dive into Fractal-land.

Does this set-up sound do-able?

Thanks ahead of time, to anyone willing to help a newbie out. I'll be happy to give any more info on the set-up you may need. Just ask!

-Miah

Depends on how "effects-rich" you want your presets. What's you current pedalboard like? All 3 of you.
You have 15 days to try an Axe Fx 3. Unless someone here can rig up a typical preset that you'd be likely to use, to see what the CPU usage is at, you might have to just buy one and get your guys together during that 15 day window, and see if it will work for you. In theory, it's possible, but it'll depend on how many blocks you'll need in your presets.

If your bass player doesnt need an amp and cab block, you should be able to do it without too much hassle.

Depends on how "effects-rich" you want your presets. What's you current pedalboard like? All 3 of you.
You have 15 days to try an Axe Fx 3. Unless someone here can rig up a typical preset that you'd be likely to use, to see what the CPU usage is at, you might have to just buy one and get your guys together during that 15 day window, and see if it will work for you. In theory, it's possible, but it'll depend on how many blocks you'll need in your presets.
Not many effects at all.

Guitarist 1: Ibanez Tube-screamer (always on), to MXR M75 Super Badass Distortion, to Dunlop Echoplex delay pedal (both for leads), to Mesa Triple Rectifier with 4x12 cab with V30 speakers.

Guitars 2: Boss overdrive SD-1 (always on), to Abasi Pathos distortion, to Dunlop Echoplex delay (both for leads), to Marshall JCM 800 with 4x12 cab with V30 speakers.

Bassist: Boss Overdrive ODB-3, to Ampeg B4R 1000 watt amp head, to SVT-610 cab.

It's worth noting I think, they don't use much delay and reverb during solos.

Would he still be able to use a virtual Capo and a little distortion?
With a pitch block and a drive block, sure. But that takes one of each from the other guitarists, so keep that in mind.

Unless you play with a lot of FX, the III should be more than capable for this task. Scenes and preset switching could be weird, so I would likely recommend having each player just control their FX with the switches, and not use scenes. You'll figure out a workflow that works with you.

2 full guitars but a bass with the minimum . They are many options and small products for bass now, preamps, DI, that goes straight to the mix board.
There is a small latency while playing with the virtual capo, this function is not perfect yet to me . I use my whammy when I want to do a quick drop in a song, less latency . For a quick thing at home sometimes yes but… particularly if you play speed metal where palm mute needs to be perfectly tight. You can hear the effect with these pitch things

Last edited:
Hi

May or may not help with CPU and with quick switching but try instead of using the block for your overdrives use the drive pedals within the Amp Block. I find these sound really good and will save you 3 blocks

Mike

1628349354851.png
Yeah ..axe can handle 3 guitars no problem. Small band here trying to keep it all simple in one rig. 2 guitars and 1 bass. A midi controller(FCB1010) is also attached to axe for scenes changes and wah. One person will do the tap dancing. For live I was thinking to use out4 to FOH an have all guitar levels from axe, and have them attached to perform page for easier access live, and spare the sound guy of playing with levels. ...didn't do it yet..cannot play live yet...hopefully soon..If someone did this already maybe he/she/zee (lol) can share the xperience.

Keep in mind there are only 2 pitch blocks so it doesn't support shifting all 3 instruments at the same time.
Yeah, somebody's gonna have to transpose (in a lower tuning, for the higher songs), or invest in a 5 strings bass or 7 string guitar, which maybe you already have, or just buy some more gear.

I use the virtual capo mainly when practicing songs, because I am in Eb tuning. It’s great as a practice tool but I’m not sure I’d gig with it.

Back
Top Bottom