Three EV-2 pedals loses mechanical calibration and my solution (HELP PLZ)

I have here 3 EV-2 pedals which unfortunately present the same problem.
If I make gentle movements. everything works OK.
But if I make quick or strong movements the pedal loses its mechanical calibration.
And even I recalibrating (I made a video teaching this to help other people).
after a while, the problem persists.
Opening the pedal and studying the operation, I noticed that when making strong movements the ring gear jumps and with that loses the calibration

After many tests, the best solution I have found so far was to put 2 small pieces of rubber (soft). one piece on the pedal box and another piece on the top of ring gear.
this creates a small friction, but gives no chance for the gear to jump.

I still do not know if I have really solved the problem forever or I will still have problems in the future.
So far, everything seems to work normal (finally)
Please, if you have a better idea or a definitive solution, tell me.
I am a big fan of Fractal products.
I can say that the AX8 and AXEIII have changed my life, I've learned a lot from it.
I hope to find a simple solution that will help everyone. Thank you.
SEE THE VIDEO :

Inside the Mission Engineering pedals as well as all the Dunlop/Crybaby pedals (all use the same chassis) there is a similar solution to yours, which is a plastic "loop" which keeps a light tension on the treadle gear.

That seems like a design oversight by Fractal if that's how they are made...

Inside the Mission Engineering pedals as well as all the Dunlop/Crybaby pedals (all use the same chassis) there is a similar solution to yours, which is a plastic "loop" which keeps a light tension on the treadle gear.

That seems like a design oversight by Fractal if that's how they are made...
you are right and I confess that I used my old Dunlop as inspiration for this modification.

I would like the FRACTAL AUDIO word on this
thanks..

My Mission pedal is useless because the plastic loop friction is the
only thing keeping the treadle in place. I have tightened it as much
as possible and the pedal will not hold position. It looks like they took
a nylon cable tie and screwed it to the case. The pedal keeps falling
no matter what the position. I tried a larger loop but it puts too much
pressure on the treadle and makes it impossible to operate smoothly.
It's a pretty lame design. The pedal is now only used at home, not gig worthy.

My 2 EV-1's & 1 EV-2 are much smoother and stay where they belong.
I haven't had any issues with the EV-2 losing calibration, but I mainly use it
for Wah or Reverb swell. I don't usually sweep it too fast

My Mission pedal is useless because the plastic loop friction is the
only thing keeping the treadle in place. I have tightened it as much
as possible and the pedal will not hold position. It looks like they took
a nylon cable tie and screwed it to the case. The pedal keeps falling
no matter what the position. I tried a larger loop but it puts too much
pressure on the treadle and makes it impossible to operate smoothly.
It's a pretty lame design. The pedal is now only used at home, not gig worthy.

My 2 EV-1's & 1 EV-2 are much smoother and stay where they belong.
I haven't had any issues with the EV-2 losing calibration, but I mainly use it
for Wah or Reverb swell. I don't usually sweep it too fast
Normally they have a little white grease on there... It's definitely not the best design, but I've never had any trouble with mine.

I’m going to voice my opinion on what I think the matter is. The EV-2 is designed to a very strict tolerance of heel down and toe down to align with the full sweep of the pot. When the pedal is left toe down and you tap the heel hard to absolute heel down the rubber bumpers compress enough to let the sweep gear come out of the teeth and align top of tooth to top of tooth and at some point jump one tooth farther. This is the beginning of the end as the next time you go toe down the pot has reached its stop point before the toe is all the way down at which point you’re destroying the pot pushing all the way down or the sweep gear just moves over the pot gear that has reached its stop point. See video below.

In my recent case after sending the pedal to Fractal for out of warranty repair the nut on the potentiometer was loose enough you could just see the pot twist ever so slightly. On the pot shaft is a large silver clamp ring with an allen screw that holds the pot gear on the shaft, that was also just loose enough to be able to move the gear on the shaft when the pot hit its stops.

This being said I don’t know where the problem began, if the pot was bad from the beginning or taping the pedal to the heel position too hard too many times. It just seems that the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the pedal need to be a harder material.

Having a similar problem where every now and then I’ll sweep from toe down to heel down on my ev (volume) and the volume doesn’t turn down at all. Makes for an awkward volume fade in. Is this behavior what you are also referring to?

I’m going to voice my opinion on what I think the matter is. The EV-2 is designed to a very strict tolerance of heel down and toe down to align with the full sweep of the pot. When the pedal is left toe down and you tap the heel hard to absolute heel down the rubber bumpers compress enough to let the sweep gear come out of the teeth and align top of tooth to top of tooth and at some point jump one tooth farther. This is the beginning of the end as the next time you go toe down the pot has reached its stop point before the toe is all the way down at which point you’re destroying the pot pushing all the way down or the sweep gear just moves over the pot gear that has reached its stop point. See video below.

In my recent case after sending the pedal to Fractal for out of warranty repair the nut on the potentiometer was loose enough you could just see the pot twist ever so slightly. On the pot shaft is a large silver clamp ring with an allen screw that holds the pot gear on the shaft, that was also just loose enough to be able to move the gear on the shaft when the pot hit its stops.

This being said I don’t know where the problem began, if the pot was bad from the beginning or taping the pedal to the heel position too hard too many times. It just seems that the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the pedal need to be a harder material.

Thanks for your explanation and for the video. In my test case, I could only solve the problem by completely supporting the rubber until ring gear . As you can see in the video I made . Still, I wanted more opinions and if possible of the Fractal itself, to solve this problem once and for all. thanks

Maybe your case will only solve with mechanical calibration. But this, tb is part of the problem ... watch the videos of this post and see if it helps you.
Having a similar problem where every now and then I’ll sweep from toe down to heel down on my ev (volume) and the volume doesn’t turn down at all. Makes for an awkward volume fade in. Is this behavior what you are also referring to?

@Marciel Marcasso thanks for sharing your experience and solution with us. I guess I don’t move my pedals hard enough to see what you and Tom are seeing, but it is interesting that this can happen. I’ll have to keep that in mind. I always wondered why others used a different method of either attaching to the pot (Ernie Ball Volume Pedal) or eliminating the pot altogether (Morley), and perhaps this is it.

My pedals never did this, but I’m glad to see you found a fix for your uses when you had this problem with yours.

Spent some more time tinkering with this today. Made hard plastic under heel bumpers, didn't help at all. Marciel is right adding something behind the sweeper gear so it can't jump off alignment is the solution. I wound up cutting an L shaped piece of 1/8 thick PVC plastic and mounting it by drilling a hole for the 1/4 jack socket to hold it in place. Seems to stop the gear from being able to jump off when tapped hard heel down.

EVplastic.jpg

Spent some more time tinkering with this today. Made hard plastic under heel bumpers, didn't help at all. Marciel is right adding something behind the sweeper gear so it can't jump off alignment is the solution. I wound up cutting an L shaped piece of 1/8 thick PVC plastic and mounting it by drilling a hole for the 1/4 jack socket to hold it in place. Seems to stop the gear from being able to jump off when tapped hard heel down.

View attachment 54940
This seems like a great idea, if you can send pictures with details of that would be great. Thank you

I need to make parts for my other two pedals as well. Plan on working on these this weekend, gig tonight. I will make up a dozen or so if anyone would like to try them out just message me and I will mail you how ever many you need. Short video as well.

Oh and the internet says the correct name for the long gear I was calling sweeper gear is a Rack gear, Who knew?

Very strange, Tom!
I'm trying to replicate this on both of my EV-2s but it is not doing this. I got both of mine through last summer. I wonder if they made a running change?

Good on you for coming up with a solution! Well done!!!

In my case I park this pedal toe down while using a drone sound then I need to heel down quickly to turn it off so I tap hard on the heel side of the pedal with my toe being that I need to get right to a scene switch. Been doing this for a year and a half with this pedal, just the way I need it to work. Self inflicted issue due to the way I use the pedal.

EV-2 Gear Jump Issue, Plastic spacer Fix
1.jpg 2.jpg

Time required: 5-10 minutes.
Tools needed: 11mm wrench or socket wrench. Philips screwdriver.

3.jpg

Remove the rubber feet and bottom cover.

4.jpg

If needed re-align the rack gear and pot gear by moving the pedal to the heel position then hold the spring loaded rack gear towards the front of the pedal. You should now be able to spin the pot gear with the other hand. Turn the pot gear counter clock-wise all the way to the stop position then release the the rack gear. Test if pedal moves freely from heel to toe. STOP. Plug the pedal into your Fractal device and navigate to the pedal calibration page. Test to make sure the pedal sweeps from the lowest to highest points on the scale. If the pedal tracks correctly continue to the next step. If not rinse and repeat.

5.jpg 6.jpg

Remove the 11mm nut and washer from the input jack.
Move input jack back out of the way. Move the pedal to the heel position.

7.jpg 8.jpg

Insert Plastic spacer so that the thin strip goes down behind the rack gear and the hole aligns with the hole in the case.

9.jpg

Next post!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
Thread the input jack through the plastic and case hole. Replace washer and nut. Before tightening check to make sure the plastic spacer is aligned well behind the rack gear.

A.jpg b.jpg c.jpg

Install bottom cover and rubber feet.
Enjoy!

Message me if you would like to try my plastic gear jump stopper pieces.

Back
Top Bottom