Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a bit of a surprise for me the first time I ran multiple amps at once years ago. Two amps didn't sound twice as good as one amp.
It didn't even really sound 'better', mostly just maybe more versatile. So not being rich I stuck with one amp.
Are any people finding two amps at once the magic sauce for their tone?

It works for me.. But I run two amps in stereo (one panned hard left, the other hard right) and also output my signal to a bass amp(with an octave, EQ etc.. ) I can't play one amp at a time anymore, it always sounds thin and feels like something is missing. The downside is the blended tone is really only best appreciated when standing in between both cabinets. I was doing it with my Mesa tube amps as well, and realized I didn't want to bring three heavy (and expensive) amps if I play out. Hence why I picked up the Axe FX. And it's also why I could really use the third amp/cab block. :)

In my situation I would certainly require the third cab block. I want to run guitar with two amp/cab blocks (in stereo) and bass with it's own amp/cab block.
A single Cab block (Input Mode set to Stereo) can be used to independently process up to two IRs for two Amp blocks by panning the two Amp blocks hard left and right.

Also, don't forget about the two 'IR Player' blocks. Not as powerful as the Cab blocks, but could cover what you need.

Bonnamassa has always used multiple amps at the same time, and his tone is OK. I believe he’s currently using 2 twins and 2 dumbles.

At the other end of the spectrum, I believe James Hatfield uses a mark IIC and a diezel (within the axefx) at the same time.

James has an entire clean sound that requires another axe fx with the inputs switched via analog so they can have seamless switching. Add another amp block or 2 and he MIGHT be able to just use 1.

As someone who's always had a small internal struggle with wanting symmetry, I have to say 3 is a symmetrical value...

The ancient Greeks found aesthetic values related to the number 3... photographers still use that principle as a guiding rule for composition in photography — the rule of thirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom