Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 3 amp blocks (12 amp channels) *could* be useful if they were accompanied by more scenes per patch or something, but it would probably be too much of a pain to access them in the Axe-Fx III's current 8-scene implementation

We can already give each scene each its own individual amp channel, so anything beyond that would need a bunch of foot switch pressing to access, and at that point you might as well change patches.

I suppose you could run 3 amps blended together but that seems kind of like just looking for an excuse to use the capability. Like what can you really do with 3 amp channels that you can't already do with 2? Or with 2 plus the 2nd amp split into two signals and a drive pedal added to one of them, etc?

Last edited:
I think 3 amp blocks (12 amp channels) *could* be useful if they were accompanied by more scenes per patch or something, but it would probably be too much of a pain to access them in the Axe-Fx III's current 8-scene implementation

We can already give each scene each its own individual amp channel, so anything beyond that would need a bunch of foot switch pressing to access, and at that point you might as well change patches.

I suppose you could run 3 amps blended together but that seems kind of like just looking for an excuse to use the capability. Like what can you really do with 3 amp channels that you can't do with 2? Or with 2 plus the 2nd amp split into two signals and a drive pedal added to one of them, etc?

Prepare for tha onslaught of tales of woe about how artistically constrained people are because of the two amp limitation and how they would ideally run 4. So 3 is an artistic compromise but somehow they’ll make the brootalz.

:p

Prepare for tha onslaught of tales of woe about how artistically constrained people are because of the two amp limitation and how they would ideally run 4. So 3 is an artistic compromise but somehow they’ll make the brootalz.

:p
If I only had 5, I could finally realize the tone I’ve been hearing in my head all these years.. I just know it! ;)

When this thread was first posted I voted for 3 amp blocks and I think commented to that effect.

I had just recieved my Axe III and was new to the platform. Now with time under my belt and considerably more experience, I I now understand channels and scenes better. I would say that while three amp blocks might be nice, 2 amp blocks + 4 channels + 8 scenes gives me everything I will ever want or need.

If we get three amp blovks, great it is another option. If we do not I think that I will somehow find a way to survive.:D

I’m kind just thinking out loud here: would a third Amp Block also necessitate a third Cab Block in order to use its’ full potential? Obviously each Amp Block can be routed to a single Cab Block, however, if you have three Amp Blocks running but only two Cab Blocks then one of the Amp Blocks is going to have to share at least one of the Cab Blocks. Well, it could have its own separate Cab with the use of Channel switching, but it won’t be able to run simultaneously, (with the other two) with its own separate Cab.
I’m not sure that really matters so much anyway?

In my situation I would certainly require the third cab block. I want to run guitar with two amp/cab blocks (in stereo) and bass with it's own amp/cab block.

Wait, couldn’t we split one cab Block and run two amp Blocks amp into one cab Block but then split the cab Block so each amp has its own separate Cab inside the cab Block? One L one R ..? Just pan them. Then one amp up the middle in amp 2 cab 2. That’s still not full functionality but gets each amp its own separate Cab.

10. I need 10 Amps and 20 Cabs to fulfill my needs!
759588c31dc46f2091af0ce55bbd0ee9.jpg

It was a bit of a surprise for me the first time I ran multiple amps at once years ago. Two amps didn't sound twice as good as one amp.
It didn't even really sound 'better', mostly just maybe more versatile. So not being rich I stuck with one amp.
Are any people finding two amps at once the magic sauce for their tone?

It was a bit of a surprise for me the first time I ran multiple amps at once years ago. Two amps didn't sound twice as good as one amp.
It didn't even really sound 'better', mostly just maybe more versatile. So not being rich I stuck with one amp.

I think John Mayer runs three amps for his tone.

Not saying that it’s optimal or that I’d want that or it’s needed, but some people do like the sound of mixing multiple amps.

run two amps into one IR, best tone I ever found in real life was a TA-30 combo into one side of a mesa 4x12 and a dual rec into the other. It blends IN the cab, sounds amazing, don't use hardly any gain :D

I love using the Yamaha THR100HD. It is essentially two amps in one. Sounds sick when running complimentary amps. I use the modern voice with EL84’s class A on one side and the lead voice with EL34’s class AB on the other. It sounds like 3D stereo... whatever that is. LOL.

It is addictive and inspiring tone.

Last edited:
Bonnamassa has always used multiple amps at the same time, and his tone is OK. I believe he’s currently using 2 twins and 2 dumbles.

At the other end of the spectrum, I believe James Hatfield uses a mark IIC and a diezel (within the axefx) at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom