Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think two is enough because most of the time I use a clean amp and then another amp to do crunch and use the same amp with more gain plus stomps for lead. I generally like 4 different levels of gain and you can do that with channels and scene controllers. An amp takes up a lot of processing power. I would use three if they were there on presets with just delay and reverb and minor effects. I have found that with two amps you can fill up a whole row with other effects and be at 95 percent processing. It is kind of a catch 22. I would think with three amps you would only be able to use maybe reverb, chorus, and reverb and then be out of processing power. On the other hand most preset only have this in mainstream music. I would use 3 amps on those minor effect preset, but I am more for saving processing power for better effects and more effects.

I would love to see a Digitech Freqout feedback pedal added. I don't know if you can model this or not. That and a talk box is all the Axe 3 does not have. I already have a talkbox. I think most amps have been covered, but there are still a few effect that are not. I am not trying to get off track, just using common sense.

I voted yes for a few specific reasons:

1. Any specific advantage over switching presets or channels (M@ cited this so I would think there is.

2. 3 amp blocks provides the ability to have 12 different amp types available in 1 preset!! Channels makes this possible. This is crazy good for us Top 40 and old school rock veterans!

3. Utilize any of the vast variety of amps available as a drive block!
Again this is crazy great because with channels you’d have 4 separate amps with their alternate flavors available as a drive block! Utilizing 2 amp blocks affords 8 amps as drive options!

4. Having an extra amp block available is always a plus for any future creativity possibilities one can imagine. It’s an option to utilize 3 amp blocks in a preset....so cpu capacity should not be an issue as one is not forced to utilize 3 amp blocks.

My 2 cents :)

Last edited:
But We would need also three cabinet blocks
Interesting point; though I imagine you could accomplish what you need with scenes and channels; but it does seem logical that a third amp would necessitate a third cab - unless Cliff's new filter/EQ suggestion (in the other thread) works just as well. Then again, the channels/scenes really means, to my needs, at least, that I only need ONE amp block lol! But it would be cool to try to put all three guitarists in my band through my Axe; maybe get another MIDI foot controller so we could all control the one preset? Sorry, I'm off in the boonies now. Back on topic - YES 3 amps!

Definite YES to 3 Amp Blocks.

Cab-wise, we can get by with 2, in various ways:
(a.) Use those IR-only blocks;
(b.) Have Cab Block 1 use different IRs on the left and the right, and send Amp Block 1 to the Left, Amp Block 2 to the Right, leaving Cab Block 2 to handle Amp Block 3;
(c.) Just use the same Cab for more than one Amp...or heck, for all 3 if it works.

The Axe Fx III is further in the future than I would like unfortunately. That said, the idea of having a single preset with an amp with all of its channels available would be something I would definitely use!

You could then do the Jimmy Page live 3 or 4 amp switching/combining/channel switching setup with few, if no drop outs.

That alone is exciting to me.

The other use I can see is if you have a strat and LP that you switch off using live, you can devote 3 scenes for clean rhythm & lead amps for the LP and a different 3 scenes for the strat. Then you don't need to insert a volume block to use for gain compensation between the instruments, you can have everything perfectly dialed in.

For basses, this is key too as my Jaguar, LP, Rick, and 5 string all have different output levels. I can setup a single preset to handle all the different instrument switches I may need to make and maintain a consistent level with just scenes rather than replicating presets for specific instruments.

Last edited:
I‘d definetely use three amps for my acoustic guitars. I currently use two Tube Pres for the stereo output, I can divide the strings in the stereo panorama. With a third Tube Pre I could use the onboard mic totally separate. That would be fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom