Three Amp Blocks?

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset?

• Yes

Votes: 395 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 27.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, eureka. God, that’s nice. It’s like a little bowl of oatmeal with a hole in it. I got one too. I just got a little more brown sugar on mine. … I’m not gonna lie to you, it’s gonna get weird. … THREE dragons.

upload_2018-8-3_11-9-51.jpeg

Question: why would adding a 3rd amp block mean sacrifices elsewhere? I mean, if you're not using all three, how would this in any way affect CPU, effect/amp resolution, etc.? I voted no at first since I don't really NEED three amp blocks, but then I changed to yes since, you know, why turn down more features? But now I want to vote no again if the third amp block indicated a sacrifice somewhere else.

Honestly, as a guy that had a massive pedalboard prior to jumping to the Helix/Axe, I find it kind of limiting that you can only have 4 drive blocks; especially since things like boosts are included in the drive blocks. Maybe I'll add this to the Wish list :)

You should be able to run any block, any number of times, up to the processor limit. I understand why we had to have the "effects inventory", and its literally the only holding the AFX back from being perfect.

Would you actually use three amp blocks in a preset if there were three blocks available?

I would use up to 6. I've been messing with a divided pickup doing individual string processing using a breakout box with a Roland GK pickup. The more the merrier!

It'd be really awesome to have a couple more drives, synths, filters, and EQs as well. Just sayin'...

For normal guitar stuff, I don't even use 2 amp blocks.

You should be able to run any block, any number of times, up to the processor limit. I understand why we had to have the "effects inventory", and its literally the only holding the AFX back from being perfect.

A control (MIDI) nightmare ... How would you be able to control "Drive 8" remotely?

I voted no initially. I am already happy with the speed of the switching between channels on 1 amp.

But, as someone said earlier - as long as it doesn't infringe on my CPU usage in other presets when I'm not using it, why not have it? Secondly, I wanted to ask whether the additional amp blocks cause all the amp blocks to operate at a lower resolution than 100%, the way the Axe II did, to economize CPU?

Thanks

I vote no, what we need is a big creative factory preset collection for all the FX's in the unit.

3rd amp can wait.

Should it be up to FAS to provide preset libraries though ? Or is that a job for 3rd parties to take the current tools and offer turn key presets for those who either don’t have the time/desire/skill to make their own ?

Take Austin Buddy’s amazing preset packs. Give him $100 for the effort and he gives you 1000 excellent amp tones. Plenty of others offering presets as well.

Should FAS be expected to develop the gear, and then also provide presets, and if so, how many? And should it be for free, or should they sell their own preset packs ?

After Cliff says “here you go, this is a really cool new tri-chorus algorithm you’ll enjoy” is it reasonable for us to say “well thanks, but I’d really like you to also give me 50 new presets fully taking advantage of it”?

I’m not saying there is a right or wrong answer here, just that there is a discussion to be had with regards to what the expectation should be on the hardware/software creator with regards to content.

If we get three amp blocks does FAS need to go and update the factory presets to use it, or should it simply be an issue of Cliff saying here is a new tool, it’s up to you to make the most of it?

How would being able to run, say 25 phaser blocks in one patch, realistically be useful ?

Not to say the III isn’t great as is, but I think it’s still far from perfect. The vibe isn’t perfect, the rotary isn’t perfect, the drive block isn’t perfect etc. Not that they aren’t darn good, but giving me 20 instances of a block really won’t make the rotary do a perfect vibratone emulation lol

I'm confused. I thought channels already let you go from clean to rhythm to lead without dropouts. How would three amp blocks change this?

Switching between Amp blocks is even faster than switching channels in one Amp block.

Would be nice to know what we lose by adding 3rd amp. Is it higher cpu even when not using 3 amps? How much CPU cost is that?
This. Without any discussion of the trade off involved there is no way to say if a new feature is a good idea, IMHO.
It is like someone coming up to you and saying "Hey, would you like $1000 cash?" Anyone with any sense's first thought is "What are you asking me for in exchange?"

Switching between Amp blocks is even faster than switching channels in one Amp block.
I guess I respect the 'generally better' concept but does anyone consider scene or channel switching insufficiently quick on the III? I guess if you are playing a lot of tonally dynamic proggish stuff you might switch tones a lot but man, it is quick enough for my modest presets.

Last edited:
Question: why would adding a 3rd amp block mean sacrifices elsewhere? I mean, if you're not using all three, how would this in any way affect CPU, effect/amp resolution, etc.? I voted no at first since I don't really NEED three amp blocks, but then I changed to yes since, you know, why turn down more features? But now I want to vote no again if the third amp block indicated a sacrifice somewhere else.

Honestly, as a guy that had a massive pedalboard prior to jumping to the Helix/Axe, I find it kind of limiting that you can only have 4 drive blocks; especially since things like boosts are included in the drive blocks. Maybe I'll add this to the Wish list :)

Limitating?
4 drive block is like have 16 drive pedals

This creates a problem when trying to use midi or other controllers to communicate with those blocks. There needs to be a set amount so you can pre-program controls for Drive 1, Drive 2, etc. suddenly having a Drive 5... how would you control it directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom