Thread about the NOISE GATE

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I want to know more. Best practices? Settings? Which Type? And of course, "who's your daddy, and what does he do?".

Reactions: J.C
I think this is a good thread... just was thinking about this last night as I got the gate working just how I like for heavy rhythm settings but it chops off most of my pinch harmonics too early... if I ease the ratio or threshold to where it doesn’t then I get some string feedback noise that spikes after I mute the strings

I like a light gate at input and another post amp to tighten things up.

Settings and why? Thx

I don’t have generic settings, it’s a per preset, per scene thing.

I like input gate to silence the guitar while being worn, but not kill sustain. If gained out, any bump would lead to howling, so the GTE is there to clamp that down.

If only an input gate was needed, why have the GTE at all?

I can say that my generic settings for the input gate are:

Threshold: -60dB
Ratio: 2.00
Attack: 2ms
Release: 100ms
Gate Type: Intelligent

Adjust the threshold to match your environment, pickups, and level of gain such that noise is eliminated when strings are muted but guitar volume is on.

I cancel it with the clean tones or humbuckers where there is no background noise

I move threshold and ratio when there is background noise until the noise just disappears. It is different for every preset and guitar. I never took note of note the numbers

The other real beauty that may be overlooked is that we have channels on the input block. So if you have scenes in a preset that are clean to monster high gain, you can have a gate that is customized to up to 4 levels of gain (4 channels).

I didn't even think about this. Nice tip!

Back
Top Bottom