Thrash Metal Tones (Pick Swipe-ey Sound)

Hi Everyone,

This'll be my first post here. I've been using the tone match block with quite a bit of success for a while now, but it seems like there are some aspects of guitar tones that have to be replicated outside of the tone match block, particularly any elements in the chain that affect picking dynamics. A lot of thrash metal tones have this incredibly pleasing 'pick swipe-ey' noise (a sort of squeak) and I can't figure out where it comes from; I think one might be tempted to say that "it's all in the fingers" but in this case (and after about 8 years of listening to this kind of stuff and playing it) I don't think that's all it is. This doesn't seem to be something that I can elicit strictly in my playing.

You can hear what I'm talking about here, at :05, particularly when the triplets are played:

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a boost from a drive pedal, or gain settings, but of course I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Im just one person, that's been playing guitar for over 25 years in the thrash metal style vein. I believe everyone has that specific type of tone that they love to their core, and are always striving to perfect. Mine happens to be that late 80s thrash tone, and you're probably not gonna like what I have to say...

I actually believe the sound you're describing, and that you showcased in your video, IS in fact, mostly in your hands! At least for me, I achieve that sound based on how close, or how far, away from the bridge I choose to rest the side of my palm for that "super-crushing sledge hammer PM crunchy chug-a-lug" (feel free to steal that ;)
This, coupled with how soft or how hard you are pressing down with your palm, and the angle of your pick (slightly tilted, for just the slightest scrape effect) attribute GREATLY to the success you'll have in achieving this sound. The tone in the video has a little more gain than I'm normally into. I personally like to rely more on the heavy picking style of my right hand and lower gain levels. It motivates me to dig into those Ernie Ball 11s, that hover over the almighty EMG 81, more aggressively. Give me a IIC++ amp model with the perfect IR set up for that rubber band tight late 80s Mesa Boogie thrash tone, and I'm in tone heaven.

Of course I offer this advice with a nice big healthy dose of "IMHO" :)

Hi Everyone,

This'll be my first post here. I've been using the tone match block with quite a bit of success for a while now, but it seems like there are some aspects of guitar tones that have to be replicated outside of the tone match block, particularly any elements in the chain that affect picking dynamics. A lot of thrash metal tones have this incredibly pleasing 'pick swipe-ey' noise (a sort of squeak) and I can't figure out where it comes from; I think one might be tempted to say that "it's all in the fingers" but in this case (and after about 8 years of listening to this kind of stuff and playing it) I don't think that's all it is. This doesn't seem to be something that I can elicit strictly in my playing.

You can hear what I'm talking about here, at :05, particularly when the triplets are played:

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with a boost from a drive pedal, or gain settings, but of course I could be wrong...

I almost forgot to mention, if you're into thrash and want some of the best available out-of-the-box presets for this style, its mandatory that you hit up my man @SinMix . The bulk of my main tones that I use for live performances and all of my studio work, come from this man's Producer Pack. For what you're describing, you'll love his ENGL Savage, Marshall JCM 800, Peavey 5150, and especially his Mesa Boogie IIC++ presets. The first few presets in the IIC++ pack are worth the price of admission alone. Don't take my word for it, watch the tons of video examples he has.

You're talking about how when you have a tonematched preset and it sounds good but loses some natural dynamics and then when you try to add a little dynamic/high end to bring out that bite, it sound too ice picky? Ok I just described my issue with tonematching presets lol. One thing I've found key to overcoming this was to parallel two amp blocks and blend them being one amp the dirty amp and the other a clean amp. Blend them just right. This helps add back a little clarity which in turn can help with dynamic presence. This is just my experience on my setup so YMMV. Then again what do I know I can't tonematch anythingo_O

Back
Top Bottom