thoughts on using 2 amps (dirty-clean) and mixing them via the Mixer block

Can you show a picture of your grid when you do this? I am trying this for the first time. I assume you have to run the amps in parallel instead of series. How do you incorporate the mixer? Thanks.
Correct. Unless you're doing something particularly weird/gnarly, amps will be in parallel.

I don't tend to use a mixer, but the layout is the same (sorry, I don't have ready access to Axe-Edit at the moment):

AMP-CAB-MIX
AMP-CAB/

I generally don't use a mixer, but the only difference is whether you set the levels in the mixer block, or by adjusting the Level on the CAB blocks (or whatever is at the end of your chain).

AMP-CAB-SHUNT
AMP-CAB/

Either way:
  1. Set #1 AMP (+CAB) up for the thick/chunky/gain-y sound you want.
    NOTE: If you have a second line already, disconnect its output so you focus on #1.
  2. Duplicate those settings on a parallel line (#2).
  3. Temporarily disconnect/mute line #1.
  4. Pull the gain down on line #2. Stop when you start to think, "this is getting too clean; this won't work."
    #2 should feel weaker, and/or it's making you work harder to play it.
  5. Reconnect/unmute line #1.
  6. Adjust the levels of #1 and #2 to where you get the desired crunch of #1, but the clarity of #2.
    NOTE: Lowering the gain on #2 in step 4 might've lowered the output appropriately. Sometimes that pulls it too far down.

This is an interesting approach to mixing amps , for the purpose of adding clarity to a dirty amp. Sounds like good advice.

I can see where someone would gravitate to using a "clean" amp for this application.

Correct. Unless you're doing something particularly weird/gnarly, amps will be in parallel.

I don't tend to use a mixer, but the layout is the same (sorry, I don't have ready access to Axe-Edit at the moment):

AMP-CAB-MIX
AMP-CAB/

I generally don't use a mixer, but the only difference is whether you set the levels in the mixer block, or by adjusting the Level on the CAB blocks (or whatever is at the end of your chain).

AMP-CAB-SHUNT
AMP-CAB/

Either way:
  1. Set #1 AMP (+CAB) up for the thick/chunky/gain-y sound you want.
    NOTE: If you have a second line already, disconnect its output so you focus on #1.
  2. Duplicate those settings on a parallel line (#2).
  3. Temporarily disconnect/mute line #1.
  4. Pull the gain down on line #2. Stop when you start to think, "this is getting too clean; this won't work."
    #2 should feel weaker, and/or it's making you work harder to play it.
  5. Reconnect/unmute line #1.
  6. Adjust the levels of #1 and #2 to where you get the desired crunch of #1, but the clarity of #2.
    NOTE: Lowering the gain on #2 in step 4 might've lowered the output appropriately. Sometimes that pulls it too far down.
Thanks man. Big help. I will have fun trying different amp combinations. Any suggestions that worked well for you?

Here is a good example of clean and dirty. Actually edge of breakup and medium gain. It gives you a lot of definition. Two of the same amp but different gain settings. There is also a drive to give you more.

Attachments

• Stevie Ray Vaughn.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
The secret to using two amps (clean, dirty) together is you never change the gain on them because they are real hard to dial in. Just run them in Parallel, set them and leave them. Add more gain with drives.

I can see where someone would gravitate to using a "clean" amp for this application.
Thanks man. Big help. I will have fun trying different amp combinations. Any suggestions that worked well for you?
The overall approach works with any drive source. I've done it with Plexis, HBEs, and fuzz pedals before. It'll work with small Fenders too. Basically anything. With really responsive amps like a Trainwreck, you can't get away with as large of variations, or the tones vary too much to sound like a single source (assuming that's what you're striving for), but you can still do a subtler version of it.

When I blend different amps, I'm often still doing some version of this. Part of the beauty is you can dial in a gnarly, over-the-top sound, and then layer in a related, but softer tone that carries the notes better, so it doesn't get too mushy when playing anything beyond root+fifth.

EXTRA BONUS TIPS:
  • Try panning one left and one right. It'll sound massive. Generally bigger than matching dual amps, in my experience.
  • In the studio, doing double-tracking, but with one guitar through #1 and one guitar through #2 can embiggen things further.
  • In the studio or live, the new Stereoizer (in 1.10's Enhancer block) would be a lot of fun to try in front of the chain (L to #1, R to #2) to achieve that last tip with a single performance.
    NOTE: I haven't tried this myself, and won't be held responsible for anything it might unleash.

Back
Top Bottom