thoughts on using 2 amps (dirty-clean) and mixing them via the Mixer block

unFILTERed

Power User
What do you guys think about this? I was avoiding to use 2 Amp blocks with my XL cause 2nd amp block was changing amp resolution from Hi to Low (which i can easily hear if i just listen - hear the guitar track).

But with the Axe FX 3 its possible. Having a 2nd amp block doesnt change the Amp Resolution. So i am working on this now: 2 Amp blocks, both Hipower Jumpered. One set to Glassy Clean and the other one fully pushed (Both inputs and Master Volume) maxed. Then with the mixer block via the 4 channels it has i can get 4 different mixes:

A: Clean (Amp Block 1)
B: Edge of Break Up (Amp 1 + Amp 2)
C: More drive (Amp 1 + more of Amp 2)
D: Full drive (just Amp 2 or blend Amp 1 to taste)

With Mixer blocks output Level its easy to match Levels of each channel.

Anyone doing this? What do you guys think?

for recording purposes i am definately gonna start using 2 amp and 2 cab blocks and blending different amps. I think this can be key to getting different-signature guitar tones and not repeating the same ones from last 50 years....i know i know, there are folks out there doing this kind of thing for decades, i am new to this idea.

side note: amp channel switching has still gap and its not seamless as in other blocks. cab block also has a dropout when you change channels.

Last edited:
Responding to my own post: so far i dont like mixing clean and dirty amp. this was thought more for live. i get better results when i just use 1 amp block for clean and 1 for driven.

But still i will try and think
i can get great results blending 2 different amp models and cab blocks for mixing 2 different types of amps.

Will share results-thoughts once i record smth.

I've played with this a bit on the 2, other than the lower resolution I've had trouble with the halfway mixed sound being phasey and you have to play with the level curves a bit to get a smooth volume transition. Ive mostly given up on it but maybe it will be better on the 3

...you have to play with the level curves a bit to get a smooth volume transition.
@Semih Yanyali is talking about setting up four different clean/dirty mixes on four channels of the Mixer block, not transitioning between them with an expression pedal.

If you’re going for a smooth transition on an expression pedal, I think the onset of distortion being added to the mix can be a bit crass, and I prefer to have the expression pedal adjusting gains instead.

But I think a static mix can sound good, though it doesn’t sound the same as having single clean-to-dirty tones.

If both amps you are using are the same model, might it be possible to use scene controllers to get your sounds instead of blending. Perhaps use a separate amp block for the lead sound, but maybe use scene controllers with the other block to get the other 3 sounds?

Austin

thx for responses guys, here are some thoughts after a little bit experimenting with this idea:

* i dont get a satisfying result for edge of break up or crunch. it literally feels and sounds like 2 different amp channels running simultaneously.

* though feels like/not sure yet adding a bit of the clean amp to lead tone of the driven amp can be useful.

If both amps you are using are the same model, might it be possible to use scene controllers to get your sounds instead of blending. Perhaps use a separate amp block for the lead sound, but maybe use scene controllers with the other block to get the other 3 sounds?

Austin

Thx Austin, i am already using modifiers for amp input and level to get different drive levels from 1 amp block. But this post was about blending clean and dirty to get in between tones...as i wrote, result so far isnt satisfying.

* though feels like/not sure yet adding a bit of the clean amp to lead tone of the driven amp can be useful.
That's my main use for blending. It gives your dirtier notes a bit more definition. I agree that blending a little bit of dirty tone into a clean base tone can sound crass.

I've played with this a bit on the 2, other than the lower resolution I've had trouble with the halfway mixed sound being phasey and you have to play with the level curves a bit to get a smooth volume transition. Ive mostly given up on it but maybe it will be better on the 3

if the pre amp fx chain - grid is same for both amps you shouldnt be getting phase issues. But as @Rex mentioned i am not trying to blend both amps with an expression pedal. I dont think there can be more than 1-2 sweet spots so a continuous control to cover all inbetween range is not a good idea.

That's my main use for blending. It gives your dirtier notes a bit more definition. I agree that blending a little bit of dirty tone into a clean base tone can sound crass.

when i think about it now, ofcourse it doenst make sense, you are loosing the touch responsivenes, dynamics of the edge of break up tone. since the 2nd amp is distorting regardless how hard you play.

but maybe i should give a shot to: clean amp + edge of break up amp. this might work but i am not sure if the result will be any better than 1 amp set to edge of break up.

What do you guys think about this? I was avoiding to use 2 Amp blocks with my XL cause 2nd amp block was changing amp resolution from Hi to Low (which i can easily hear if i just listen - hear the guitar track).

But with the Axe FX 3 its possible
. Having a 2nd amp block doesnt change the Amp Resolution. So i am working on this now: 2 Amp blocks, both Hipower Jumpered. One set to Glassy Clean and the other one fully pushed (Both inputs and Master Volume) maxed. Then with the mixer block via the 4 channels it has i can get 4 different mixes:

Hi. I don't mean to derail your thread but, did we get confirmation that this is now the case with the III? Using two amps does not lower the resolution?

Hi. I don't mean to derail your thread but, did we get confirmation that this is now the case with the III? Using two amps does not lower the resolution?

hey no problem, good question actually. i will loop a riff with the axe looper and record it in DAW with and without the 2nd amp block and see if both tracks will phase cancel each other when 1 track's polarity is reversed.

Just did the test 1 Amp Block vs 2 to see if the Amp resolution changed. Looped a riff with the axe looper and recorded it in DAW with and without the 2nd amp block to see if both tracks will phase cancel each other when 1 track's polarity is reversed.

They dont but partially the wave forms look identical, some parts change tiny bit. To be honest i cant hear the difference. And if it wasnt placebo effect i remember being able to hear the difference in Axe FX 2.

I feel like the amp res doesnt change. but maybe @FractalAudio can chime in to give the most accurate info on this?

Using clean+dirty together is a great way to add definition to high-gain tones.
But frankly I find it too much work to dial in.

Using clean+dirty together is a great way to add definition to high-gain tones.
But frankly I find it too much work to dial in.

agree (on both), i dont think i will use it for live, probably just for recording purposes.

Looks like you worked through this on your own, but you're on a path to great clear (not clean) gain tones:

Try dialing in your more/full drive setting first. Then duplicate that on a second amp, but adjust the gain (or sometimes amp volume) -1 or -2 (o'clocks?), then layer that in -3-6 dB. Adjust to taste.​

Running clean is (often) going too far. It sounds disconnected, because it's too different. But a little less gain is basically the same sound, but more open and dynamic.

That can also be fun when you use a volume knob/pedal to dial back the signal hitting the amps. Not exactly the same as a traditional "edge of breakup" (since only one can sit on the threshold), but that's kinda why I like it.

Looks like you worked through this on your own, but you're on a path to great clear (not clean) gain tones:

Try dialing in your more/full drive setting first. Then duplicate that on a second amp, but adjust the gain (or sometimes amp volume) -1 or -2 (o'clocks?), then layer that in -3-6 dB. Adjust to taste.​

Running clean is (often) going too far. It sounds disconnected, because it's too different. But a little less gain is basically the same sound, but more open and dynamic.

That can also be fun when you use a volume knob/pedal to dial back the signal hitting the amps. Not exactly the same as a traditional "edge of breakup" (since only one can sit on the threshold), but that's kinda why I like it.
Can you show a picture of your grid when you do this? I am trying this for the first time. I assume you have to run the amps in parallel instead of series. How do you incorporate the mixer? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom