Thoughts on the FW15 rectos?

I dialed a 2 Recto's on v15. Both patches sound great, full, tight, and have enough gain to roll the volume off and get a nice fusion lead tone.
What Recto sim are you using as there are 7 now? Guitar and pickups? And what context are you dialing in these tones? For recording, through your live set up?
Also, have you tried building a patch from scratch? Let us know.

I used to have a rectoverb and yep they can be frustrating. Definitely not what I would call a tight sounding amp. Growly and raspy, yes. Tight, no. Seemed like no matter what I did with the EQ, I could never control the boomy low end. Some guys run a graphic EQ pedal in the loop or out front to help tighten them up. I ended up liking the clean channel better than the gain channel. In the end it was not for me. Sold it and switched to a Mark IV. Now THAT is a tight sounding amp!

get a filter in front of the Recto to scoop the natural lows from the guitar and it'll tighten up a treat

Rectos have always been very weird amps in general. I think part of the reason people think this, or at least the reason I've always thought this, is because the amp's visual design writes checks that it can't really cash. Or at the very least, it implies that it produces a type of tone it doesn't really deliver, for better or for worse. To just look at one, you would think it would be one of those high gain amps where the bottom end is rock solid tight and where the top end is super smooth and saturated. In fact it's the exact opposite. The bottom end is incredibly loose and flubby, while the top end is is actually not very saturated at all, but instead quite dry and scratchy sounding. You know how oatmeal can be goopy and mushy while being incredibly dry and flaky in all the worst ways at the same time? To me, that's a Recto every day the week.

The end result is that when you multi-track the amp correctly and put it in the right mix, it sounds awesomely huge and weighty for big, open sustained chords. But to just sit down in front of one and play through it? I've always thought that in the room, they sound and feel terrible to be honest.

THIS !!!

I remember 2 years ago a kid coming and talking with me about how great was my tone in this gig ( Soundgarden Tribute ) and talking blablabla about the Rectos with a huge professional knowlegde ... then I asked him wich kind of recto He owned or played and the answer was ... none I have a Vox Ac-30 ... blablabla ;)

I swear that if you crank the 3 channels , it's almost impossible to stay really clean but the 1 channel always feel near "distorsion" .
I totally agee with GreatGreen , is really difficult to sit in front of it and say it sound good but micked is rock\metal heaven .
the basses actually are monstrous on red channel ... I always let it max at 2 if you want to survive the rehersals

This is a little amusement with my band ... in "studio" ... no doble tracking .. raw guitar sound and fx without post processing fx for guitar (obviously is a real Triple Recto )

Last edited:
as of FW14, the Recto1 OrngMdrn is wonderful..

and that's coming from a Mesa hater...

This is my experience exactly.
I once had a Voodoo Platinum modded Dual Rec, which was all kinds of awesome and reminded me VERY much of the best, tightest examples of the old "first 500" lore single rec's. Recto1 Org Modern gives me the same feel now with minimal tweaking.

I think the other thing with the Dual Rectum, is that it has a rather unusual voice with respect to it's natual EQ..
so you have to be a lil' fussier than usual with respect to your cab choices..

stuff the filter in the front, and the right cab up the back, and you're in for a world of fun

I dialed a 2 Recto's on v15. Both patches sound great, full, tight, and have enough gain to roll the volume off and get a nice fusion lead tone.
What Recto sim are you using as there are 7 now? Guitar and pickups? And what context are you dialing in these tones? For recording, through your live set up?
Also, have you tried building a patch from scratch? Let us know.

Care to share a patch so I can try it. I still just cannot seem to get a decent sound. Been trying for the last hour. I am using an ESP M-I with an EMG 81. Also use a Fender Jim Root Strat with Emg's.

Maybe post a successful preset up here please, as most of us can't find a good Recto sound.

"Most"? Seems like just as many like as do not...

And referring to the "tightness" of Rectos....the clip the OP gave as an example at 3:20 of the Hetfield video is about as far from tight as you can get...it sounds like nothing but fizzy, loose, flub to me.

This is my experience exactly.
I once had a Voodoo Platinum modded Dual Rec, which was all kinds of awesome and reminded me VERY much of the best, tightest examples of the old "first 500" lore single rec's. Recto1 Org Modern gives me the same feel now with minimal tweaking.

The Recto1 OrngMdrn, quite simply, OWNS. My chain is a mild Fet Boost into a dual amp chain of a Recto1 OrngMdrn and Dizzy VH4 Ch3, Recto to Cali cab and Dizzy to OH Recto cab, the Dizzy's overall volume slightly lowered to taste in the midrange, Graph Eq post to fine tune, and then the butter: the modern mode of the Enhancer block. The gain is cranked both amps with a decent amount of Master, and everything is raging clear with dynamics.

I would record a quick clip and post, but my guitar is in the shop for a few days with something fubared on the Ghost preamp. FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

I like the recto's now.

Got a great lead patch yesterday actually. One of the Rec orange amps. I think they all work very good depending of what you do with it and what you want it to do, of course...

I don't get hung up in what amp i'm using.. Just the end result.

This is the tone I was able to dial in today but cannot get it with the AXE FX. Listen to 3:20. That grainy, sizzle with a nice bite to it. Any suggestions to get this kinda tone out of my unit?

I have (maybe had) the same Problem. I'm after quite the same type of tone.
After I updated from 14.02 to 15.02, I didn't like my rectos anymore (mainly playing with recto1 red modern). Sounded like bass on max, and a V - dialled EQ inside, too compressed/low mids, and less hights. So more bassy and dark, missing brightness/air/open-ness. (even with Treble and Presence on 8-9). Although I have to say from memory it sounds more like a real amp, but just missing mids and hights.
(and yes, I did a reset of the amp, even tried from scratch, and at least with the factory preset).

So I dialled with different knobs in the advanced Parameters that I never touched before, and came close to my desired tone/feel, but I found my ears got tired...
Now I have to compare again to the V14 recording I did before updating, with fresh ears, also want to compare to my real old 2ch recto. Will tell again, if I like it now, but didn't sound bad last night/this morning at 2am.
Other amps have indeed improved a lot.

Not really a recto fan. The name and the look always suggest that they will be so awesome..but i never could bond with the sound. I was in a band with one guy who had one and it just sounded like absolute poop to me. Then i played a few other ones and his didnt sound that much different...

they just arent my cup of tea.

I loved my old Triple Rec! My Les Paul running into the 3rd channel on modern, with the over-sized 4x12 cab... palm mutes sounded like canon blasts... super tight canon blasts. No TS in front, no nothing. Just guitar to amp to cab, and it was glorious. But 150 watts is hard to manage and it proved to be to much as I got older (and my living space became smaller and smaller :lol). Only now am I at a point in my life where an amp anywhere close to that would be feasible to use in my living situation.

I ended up selling it to my band mate at the time, he still has it, gathering dust in his basement. Not sure he's touched even so much as a guitar since our old group broke up... 5 years ago. One day I am going to get that amp back just for the nostalgia and try to relive those glory days where I always had a place to jam.

i don't really like the stock rectos since they've been made accurate lol. But. The magic for me is, well at least the recto1 org mdn...

low gain = 1.9–2.3
BASS CUT=ON
FAT=ON (magic!)
BOOST=ON
SATURATION=ON (optional)
CHARACTER= -0.5 – -2.5, FREQ./4187 (this changes everything!)

and add some brightness knobbage

i don't really like the stock rectos since they've been made accurate lol. But. The magic for me is, well at least the recto1 org mdn...

low gain = 1.9–2.3
BASS CUT=ON
FAT=ON (magic!)
BOOST=ON
SATURATION=ON (optional)
CHARACTER= -0.5 – -2.5, FREQ./4187 (this changes everything!)

and add some brightness knobbage

Oh YES the character knob. Tremendous.

I don't know my Rectos in real life.
The preset 97 Thick and Chunky is pretty good though. :)
Uses Recto Red vintage.

"Most"? Seems like just as many like as do not...

And referring to the "tightness" of Rectos....the clip the OP gave as an example at 3:20 of the Hetfield video is about as far from tight as you can get...it sounds like nothing but fizzy, loose, flub to me.

Def. did not say tight. Just that "That grainy, sizzle with a nice bite to it." is what I mentioned. I cannot get out of the loose, flubby bass territory without getting to an icepick treble tone. Going to keep trying this weekend and play with a few advanced perimeters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom