Thoughts on STP's new singer and album?

Stone Temple Pilots

Just listened to some of it. Definitely different, but I suppose it would be! Weiland was a lot of the sound. Some songs are less aggressive, but I have to admit I liked them. Not bad at all, but die-hard STP fans will probably not like it. No way you can just replace several essential players and not have a change though. They're trying to move on, so they might vaccilate musically for an album or two finding where to land.

Last edited:
Ya , I just listened. Sounds a lot like Weiland. Meadow is the best song.
The rest kind of sound like the songs from all previous albums that I would have skipped over.
Good , but don't keep my attention.

I was able to give the album the REAL test today. ( A listen in my vehicle - alone - cranked )
I liked it a lot more. Sometimes it helps to put it on ,..... and drive.

Driving alone is the best time to enjoy music !

I really like both the new guy and the album. I agree that over all it's maybe a bit on the lite side? But even those songs are very much like some of the prior STP less heavy tunes. Yeah, "Meadow" is such a great song. They hit it out of the park with that single.

\m/

I'm strangely torn with STP. One of my all time favorite rock bands and I was lucky enough to see them with Scott on two occasions. I've been able to make the transition with other bands that replaced the singer but for some reason I'm having a hard time with STP. He sounds great, quite a bit like Scott and I assume they worked really hard to find him and then make sure he was stable. But Scott was such an integral component to their sound and songwriting that I find myself just ambivalent about the band which is weird because I absolutely love Dean and Robert. Maybe it will grow on me eventually.

People need to let the past go... same with AIC, as we get older people are going to die. "it's not STP without Scott, it's not AIC without Layne" sure it is, the primary songwriters are still there. So it sounds a little different. Who knows what he would have sounded like now, most singers dont sound the same 20-30 years on... look at Labrie ;)

"it's not STP without Scott, it's not AIC without Layne" sure it is, the primary songwriters are still there.

Mostly agree, Robert is the key songwriter by a long stretch but Scott developed through the years and his lyrics are a key element. To be fair I haven't listened to the new album yet, so I'm probably not giving them a fair shake as a separate band. I've been able to do that with AIC. Musical taste is a weird thing.

People need to let the past go... same with AIC, as we get older people are going to die. "it's not STP without Scott, it's not AIC without Layne" sure it is, the primary songwriters are still there. So it sounds a little different. Who knows what he would have sounded like now, most singers dont sound the same 20-30 years on... look at Labrie ;)

I haven't heard the new album - its on my list...
I don't know - its a fine line of when the band is still the band. Scott didn't necessarily define STP and Layne didn't necessarily define AIC - but - they were part of the whole amalgamation of what did define their sound. When is AIC and STP not AIC and STP ? how many original people have to still be in the band? Is AC/DC still AC/DC with only Angus as the original member?
I think Thin Lizzy did the right thing - they changed their name when Phil passed and re-invented themselves and now have all their own songs and own sound. I don't know - just offering an opposing view.
All the praise here for the record definitely makes me want to go get it though !

Back
Top Bottom